Digital Ixus 330 ? - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum  

Digital Ixus 330 ?

• 3 Replies
Digital Ixus 330 ?
« on: 22 / September / 2010, 15:05:43 »
Advertisements
Hi,

I want to try and play with timelapse photography and will probably end up hardware modifying a compact camera to get what I want, but I spotted CHDK offered timelapse as well, seeing as I have an old Ixus 330 I wondered if there was a version out there for this Canon, but the list doesnt have it available :(  Would any of the other versions work with the 330 ?

Failing that what is the cheapest Canon compact out there on ebay or wherever that I can do timelapse with CHDK with ?  Must admit I'd prefer SD than CF...   How flexible are the options within CHDK for timelapse ?

Cheers,

- Andy

Offline reyalp

Re: Digital Ixus 330 ?
« Reply #1 on: 22 / September / 2010, 17:19:25 »
The supported cameras list on the wiki gives all the fully supported and mostly complete beta ports. If you are going to get a camera for CHDK, it should be one of these.

The for developers page generally also shows you which ones have incomplete/in development ports http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/For_Developers

The Ixus 330 (aka S330) is a pre-digic camera so will never be supported: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Unsupported_Cameras

For cameras on ebay, I suggest you make a search with old/lower end cameras from the supported list.
How flexible are the options within CHDK for timelapse ?
CHDK timelapses are done with lua or ubasic scripts, so if you have some programming ability, they have almost unlimited flexibility. Otherwise you are limited to using scripts that other people have written. There's a wide variety available on the forum and wiki.

In general, any CHDK camera will be as timelapse capable as any other, however if you are thinking about buying one, you might want to look around the forum and wiki a bit to see if there are any particular quirks mentioned. If you are planning to use existing timelapse scripts, some of those pages and threads may have comments about specific cameras.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 24 / September / 2010, 03:32:59 »
« Last Edit: 24 / September / 2010, 03:40:53 by DaMonkey »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 24 / September / 2010, 12:52:07 »
How good is the A470 for timelapse and general CHDK script compatibility ?  I noticed that its got a DryOS whatever that is, does this have limitations ? Are there any known issues with the A470 ? Have I bought a lemon ?
DryOS doesn't make any difference from an end users perspective. I'm not aware of any major issues with a470, but maybe someone who actually owns one will have some comments.
Don't forget what the H stands for.