supplierdeeply

Chdk for SX130 IS ?

• 1094 Replies

Online reyalp

Re: Chdk for SX130 IS ?
« Reply #330 on: 18 / March / 2011, 17:34:12 »
Advertisements
i have a question to chdk developers:

can you make "lite" build, without access to lens or something mechanical? as far as i know, users mostly use chdk for raw.
CHDK does not access the lens unless you use subject distance override or other lens related features.

If the problem exists as described (which we don't know for certain), it is *not* caused by CHDK doing something with the directly lens. The sequence goes like this
1) CHDK causes the Canon firmware to crash
2) The Canon firmware crash handler shuts down without retracting the lens (or the camera becomes completely unresponsive and the user removes the battery.)
3) On the next reboot, the lens is still extended and the canon firmware does something that causes a problem.

Again, if this diagnosis is correct, the only part CHDK is responsible for is  #1.

then if I put the 12x zoom and turn off the camera when turn on happens? or if it hits the lens being extended?, I never had that error in the camera without or with CHDK.
The camera power switch is a software switch. If you press it, the camera does it's normal shutdown sequence, which includes parking the lens. If the camera crashes, or you remove the battery, then the camera will be shut down with the lens extended.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #331 on: 18 / March / 2011, 18:06:19 »
i have a question to chdk developers:

can you make "lite" build, without access to lens or something mechanical? as far as i know, users mostly use chdk for raw.
CHDK does not access the lens unless you use subject distance override or other lens related features.

If the problem exists as described (which we don't know for certain), it is *not* caused by CHDK doing something with the directly lens. The sequence goes like this
1) CHDK causes the Canon firmware to crash
2) The Canon firmware crash handler shuts down without retracting the lens (or the camera becomes completely unresponsive and the user removes the battery.)
3) On the next reboot, the lens is still extended and the canon firmware does something that causes a problem.

Again, if this diagnosis is correct, the only part CHDK is responsible for is  #1.

then if I put the 12x zoom and turn off the camera when turn on happens? or if it hits the lens being extended?, I never had that error in the camera without or with CHDK.
The camera power switch is a software switch. If you press it, the camera does it's normal shutdown sequence, which includes parking the lens. If the camera crashes, or you remove the battery, then the camera will be shut down with the lens extended.

well if you turn it back on though (provided you dont get the dreaded lens error) the lens retracts i had that happen to me at event camera crashed with lens out turned it back on and it'd retract the lens  and id have to hit the power button again

Online reyalp

« Reply #332 on: 18 / March / 2011, 18:20:15 »
well if you turn it back on though (provided you dont get the dreaded lens error) the lens retracts i had that happen to me at event camera crashed with lens out turned it back on and it'd retract the lens  and id have to hit the power button again
I'm not really clear what part of my post you are responding to here.

On most Canon cameras, if the camera shuts down with the lens extended, the lens retracts on the next boot. If it is in record mode, the lens will immediately extend again, but it still retracts on boot. It may be preferable to start in play mode in this case.

All of this is done by the factory firmware, it has nothing to do with CHDK. You can prove this by crashing the camera (or removing the battery), removing / unlocking the SD card, then starting again. But given the reports above, it might be unwise to experiment with this on SX130 ;)
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #333 on: 18 / March / 2011, 18:32:04 »
Don't know if its a coincidence but a few weeks ago an IXUS95 SDM tester had a new camera also fail with the lens error and lens stuck open.
Numerous attempts to reboot the camera failed.
The assistant in the camera shop tried it and it worked !

They replaced the camera anyway.

Offline achillies

• SX130IS
« Reply #334 on: 18 / March / 2011, 18:50:56 »
@vash - What size SD card are you using?  When/if I use a card larger than 4G, I often have to start the camera twice (which kind of sounds like what you are describing).  If the camera had crashed with the lens extended, the first boot would reseat the lens, and the second boot started normally.
Don't let the sands of time get in your lunch.

« Reply #335 on: 18 / March / 2011, 18:59:41 »
@vash - What size SD card are you using?  When/if I use a card larger than 4G, I often have to start the camera twice (which kind of sounds like what you are describing).  If the camera had crashed with the lens extended, the first boot would reseat the lens, and the second boot started normally.

i was using a partioned 16gb  one 23mb partion with CHDK on it other were the picutres were stored it only crashed during a particular event and i was holding the camera straight down with the lens facing downward nothing was in the way it crashed 4 times before it started normally i was using the Version before DE though

though  i only had to restart mutliple times a only 2-4 times tops most the time it'd turn/off normally
« Last Edit: 18 / March / 2011, 19:24:05 by Vash11779 »

« Reply #336 on: 19 / March / 2011, 01:32:33 »
anyway, what problem to release 'safe' "just for raw" chdk version?  :-[
personally i'm afraid now to use it. but i'm suffer without raw.

« Reply #337 on: 19 / March / 2011, 02:33:55 »
anyway, what problem to release 'safe' "just for raw" chdk version?  :-[
personally i'm afraid now to use it. but i'm suffer without raw.

dont mean to be rude or anything but if the problem really is how cannon built the camera even CHDK lite or no CHDK at all you can still get the lens error

Offline achillies

• SX130IS
« Reply #338 on: 19 / March / 2011, 16:47:36 »
Well, I for one, have no intention to stop using CHDK.  It has enabled me to take the some of the types of pictures I used to take with my old manual film cameras, and re-opened my eyes to what creativity can be.  I'll keep you posted on the health of my camera, and I'm sure if it is going to be hurt by CHDK, I'll be figuring that out pretty quickly.  I've had my camera running all night hooked up to my pc taking pics every 10 minutes running CHDK and PTPCamgui.. all OK.  Next I'll be trying to get DOF bracketing to work, and then focus bracketing (maybe using scripts.. or maybe ptpcamgui.. I'm not sure what's easier/better).  I think if anything will break the camera it will be one of those things, because they will be working the lens mechanisms.  Anyway, I'll let you all know if I have any trouble with the camera.
Don't let the sands of time get in your lunch.

« Reply #339 on: 19 / March / 2011, 20:09:32 »
last night and tried to power cycle with and without CHDK and never had the lens error. It will be a failure of any series in particular?