Chdk for SX130 IS ? - page 81 - CHDK Releases - CHDK Forum

Chdk for SX130 IS ?

• 1095 Replies
Re: Chdk for SX130 IS ?
« Reply #800 on: 22 / August / 2011, 01:49:13 »
Advertisements
just a thought - is it possible to run the live preview routine on any of the other tasks - any activity on the ptp pauses the live preview which updates only after the task is complete eg zoom or shoot.

if it is at all possible to run it on any other task the live preview will update even during a zoom. of course it would just be a cosmetic advantage.

pls excuse if the idea is utterly stupid !!
but u know what einstein said - if at first the idea is not stupid, there is no hope for it !! - or something like that :)

« Reply #801 on: 22 / August / 2011, 01:59:49 »
there is one more strange behavior that i noticed in SX120 as well as SX130 (using ptp interface - not tried script on the camera)

if i put the camera in P (program) mode and use shoot() to take the picture the resulting image is very dark. subsequent images are ok. only the first after switching to 'P' is darker.

also this does not happen if i use  press('shoot_full') even the first image is ok - but of course press('shoot_full') is not as effecient, as i would then have to wait till the get_shooting returned 0

« Reply #802 on: 22 / August / 2011, 09:47:40 »
A few observations from a first time user:
(I will update this same post if I encounter any additional issues)

Badbixel.bin and DNG issues:

I did have a few issues (initially) with creating a badpixel.bin file and DNGs.  After I initially created the badpixel.bin file and shot a DNG, no DNG file was stored on the card, instead, there were two identical (time-wise) files names IMG_0001_1.JPG and IMG_0001_2.JPG.  Since it isn't possible to create a DNG without badpixel.bin present (an on-screen message will tell you so) something went wrong.  Additional attempts at shooting and saving DNG files WERE successful, even though no recreation of a badpixel.bin file was attempted (at that time).

Later, I did attempt to recreate the badbixel.bin file, without success (an on-screen message said creation had failed).  I attempted to create this file several times, eventually meeting with success.  Reading other forums I find that this is not uncommon, but it was of some concern at the time, because if no badbixel.bin file exists, saving as DNG isn't possible.

Overlay issue:  

When I turned on Overlay and Panorama mode (no other changes were made in the overlay menu) after the third shot the camera FROZE with a black screen, and only by powering off the camera was I able to continue.  Camera freezes are disconcerting.

Update on this - Overlay and Panorama work fine when NOT in SuperFine mode.

Bracketing with SuperFine issues:

Unable to bracket using custom timer, half press or full press methods.  Bracketing works with Fine and Normal modes, but not with SuperFine, not even for a total of 3 images (which I'd call minimal bracketing) IF a relatively detailed subject is captured.  After the third image the camera FREEZES with a black screen, and can only be powered off to continue.  No images are saved.  This is very disappointing, although I realize it is probably related to some buffer issue (i.e. not enough).  This testing was conducted with a 6x SDHC card.

Video Mode error:

After selecting "Quality" mode (but not changing the numerical value) in Video Parameters, and then proceeding to shoot a clip, I encountered camera error "09" and the camera FROZE.  The error window directed me to restart the camera, which I did.

The undeletable DNG file:

This one has me really puzzled.  With the camera's SDHC card in a card reader I am not able to delete the file CRW_0002.DNG (0KB), while other DNG files are deletable.  Anyone have a clue how this could have happened?  Somehow the file became locked (by the camera?).  I'll figure it out eventually, as I'd like to know what happened.  Could it be related to the other DNG issue noted above?? See attachments.

Update - running chkdsk on this volume I discovered that the file is corrupt.  chkdsk fixed the file for deletion.

Otherwise... everything is hunky-dory, and I couldn't be happier.
Last update: Aug 24, 2003 - re: overlay issue
« Last Edit: 24 / August / 2011, 09:05:15 by Mike Lee »

Offline achillies

• SX130IS
« Reply #803 on: 23 / August / 2011, 17:57:07 »
Video Mode error:  After selecting "Quality" mode in Video Parameters, and then proceeding to shoot a clip, I encountered camera error "09" and the camera FROZE.  The error window directed me to restart the camera, which I did.

From this description this was a Canon error.  The closest description I found was that it equated to "pushing too many buttons all at once".  :blink:  I'm sure you weren't doing that, but in any case I'm glad it recovered.  

Please continue to report any issues you find, because that is the only way that they will be fixed/addressed.  

Some of your other trouble, such as the undeletable DNG, have not been reported AFAIK.  Hopefully it will not return.

I recreated my badpixel.bin without any errors (but a TON of bad pixels compared to the last time..  3000 vs 1000).

I ran motion detection (not bracketing), with a 5 shot sequence many times.  No trouble there.

I did not test your other issues, but will if you continue to have them.  Keep us posted. (and post your bee pic!)

ALSO: I am using the build from ntstatic (thank you very much BTW.. go man go!)  I was hoping to get CHDKcam/chdk_ptp_test connected with the 101c build, but no good.  I didn't expect it to work, but I was hoping. I'll be patient until ntstatic and philmoz get those bits worked out. PTPcamgui does work very nicely however.

AND (for everyone): In the interest of doing great things for our cameras, I could use some help testing SDM and PTP..  It would be helpful to have an extra SD card so you can use SDM or CHDK, but it's not necessary.  We can start a new thread for this if necessary.

« Last Edit: 24 / August / 2011, 02:19:58 by achillies »
Don't let the sands of time get in your lunch.

Offline philmoz

• Photos
« Reply #804 on: 24 / August / 2011, 02:19:22 »
Quick update, been a busy week.

I'm discussing various options for the live view code with mweerden, my version diverges a bit from his original code so trying to work out the best approach.

@nstatic, being able to update the live view while doing other things would be nice; but probably not practical. There is only one communications channel between the PC and camera and doing multiple things at once would require a complex asynchronous process at each end with locking and synchronisation. While it could probably be done I think it would be very difficult.

Phil.
CHDK ports:
  sx30is (1.00c, 1.00h, 1.00l, 1.00n & 1.00p)
  g12 (1.00c, 1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  sx130is (1.01d & 1.01f)
  ixus310hs (1.00a & 1.01a)
  sx40hs (1.00d, 1.00g & 1.00i)
  g1x (1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  g5x (1.00c, 1.01a, 1.01b)
  g7x2 (1.01a, 1.01b, 1.10b)

« Reply #805 on: 24 / August / 2011, 07:45:06 »
Quick update, been a busy week.

I'm discussing various options for the live view code with mweerden, my version diverges a bit from his original code so trying to work out the best approach.

@nstatic, being able to update the live view while doing other things would be nice; but probably not practical. There is only one communications channel between the PC and camera and doing multiple things at once would require a complex asynchronous process at each end with locking and synchronisation. While it could probably be done I think it would be very difficult.

Phil.

yes phil i did realize that -
it is only that, the question popped in to my mind and i thought about mentioning it to you since you were looking in to that bit of code
 ;)

« Reply #806 on: 24 / August / 2011, 09:53:00 »
I choose to shoot SuperFine because it affords the extra bit of quality I'm looking for, and is much faster (at saving) then trying to shoot DNG for fast moving subjects.  For example, my honeybee gallery wouldn't have been possible if I had tried to save DNG, as I would have missed many shots.  I miss bracketing in SuperFine.  I'd like to capture just the right exposure bracketing could afford me.  I've even tried to bracket just two shots, one normal and one -1/3, by selecting "-" from the Bracket Type menu, yet this was unsuccessful.  It doesn't want to do just "-", but delivers "+" instead.  Any comments on this observation?  I'm sorry, but I may just be running into unresolved issues that have been around from the beginning.

I don't know, but I'd hope this "+" and "-" bracketing issue could be resolved.  Maybe I could get at least one negative exposure compensation shot in lieu of true bracketing (fingers crossed).

Mike

1.77MP lossless crop from a SuperFine image.  Thanks Achillies for the compliment.

« Reply #807 on: 24 / August / 2011, 10:11:12 »
wow that is a glorious shot Mike !!, id like to be able to take something like that someday :)

« Reply #808 on: 24 / August / 2011, 11:41:06 »
The SX130IS seems to have an exceptionally easy time with macro shots.  Of course I have to be quick on the draw!  Thanks for the compliment.

Offline Pilda

« Reply #809 on: 25 / August / 2011, 16:00:13 »
Hi guys,
I set Hide OSD to On Display and if I press the button, the only thing which disappear is the battery indicator. DNG indicator, information about DOF, Hyperf.d. and the histogram aren't hide.

Is it a problem of this port. Is there a way to repair it? It is quite important thing for me.