Chdk for SX130 IS ? - page 20 - CHDK Releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Chdk for SX130 IS ?

• 1095 Replies

Offline quid

• SX130IS
Re: Chdk for SX130 IS ?
« Reply #190 on: 08 / February / 2011, 12:03:08 »
Advertisements
@nobody460: After you download source code from SVN, you have to apply source code patch from reply #173.

@achilles: Any specific test instructions would miss the point of this tests. I need you to use camera in a way that I cannot predict (otherwise I could just do it myself), and to speedup testing of more exotic Canon settings and features which I normally don't use, thanks to many users doing this tests. Optimally each original firmware feature will be used at least once by at least one person.
About flash problem:
What do you mean by "no chdk running"? You are trying to use remote cable without CHDK loaded? Does flash work correctly without cable and CHDK (using shutter button)?
Can you delete CHDK config file and try again? I have no problems with flash and remote cable on CHDK's default settings, with only "Enable Remote" changed to enabled.

@nibble: Can you check if your problem with autostart exists in this two versions?
http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=5691.msg59907#msg59907
http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=5691.msg60367#msg60367

« Reply #191 on: 08 / February / 2011, 13:28:34 »
@quid:

Argh! I've tested releases from comments #101, #136, #173 and #185 (again) and I haven't been able to reproduce the failure anymore.

Everytime I power the camera on, it starts in playback mode, regardless of the button I choose to power it on (on/off button or playback button). After that CHDK always loads automatically without a problem.

As you know, without CHDK, if you start the camera with the on/off button it goes straight into capture mode. That seems to be a failure if CHDK is configured to start at boot, so CHDK forces the camera to start in playback mode. I presume it's because the update firmware procedure has to be run in playback mode. Nevertheless, I can't start the camera straight into capture mode anymore to reproduce the CHDK loading failure.

Offline quid

• SX130IS
« Reply #192 on: 08 / February / 2011, 13:36:34 »
It is known limitation of CHDK - hold on/off key for about 1s to start in shooting mode.

« Reply #193 on: 08 / February / 2011, 13:52:33 »
Good tip! By the way, it doesn't fail even starting straight to capture mode.

Offline achillies

• SX130IS
« Reply #194 on: 08 / February / 2011, 14:36:04 »
@quid - I'm learning about the camera at the same time I'm learning about CHDK, so once I made the USB remote cable, I tried it with no CHDK on camera.  With no chdk It SEEMS to trigger the shutter, but on closer inspection only makes a shutter-like noise (no pics, and no flash).  Canon probably didn't include this in their firmware.

Using CHDK, with "enable remote", the USB remote cable works every time, as expected.

I hope I didn't take up too much of your time with this "curiosity" question about the camera.

BTW, I've been using things I don't usually use, and can't get this build to fail.
Don't let the sands of time get in your lunch.

Offline Anton

« Reply #195 on: 08 / February / 2011, 14:55:22 »
Hello
I dont know, whether this is the right forum for my question....
I have made a few RAW (dng) pictures with my SX 130is with CHDK from #173.
When i deliver them to Adobe DNG Converter 6.3 (Camera Raw 5.4) they will be resized about 20% each.
Does there anybody know why is it that.
Windows Explorer shows message, that both files are not compressed....
(A dng file on SD-Card uses about 18MB + 3-4MB jpg file each)
By the way - Zebra - Function is real great!

Addition:
I found reason for "red powder"!
I used manual exposure compensation!
Zebra-Function told me to use manual exposure compensation -1
Without manual exposure compensation red color is OK.
But blue sky becomes white.....
« Last Edit: 10 / February / 2011, 12:43:32 by Anton »

« Reply #196 on: 08 / February / 2011, 15:06:42 »
Yeah, this build works real nice, and always get "OK", never any digits :), even when using exotic functions, histograms and even more stuff...

« Reply #197 on: 08 / February / 2011, 15:21:02 »
Hi:
   My name is Joleny. I have a question. I'm using the SX130is CHDK but when I download the raw files to my PC no program recognize them. I'm doing something wrong??? Thanks in Advance.

Offline achillies

• SX130IS
« Reply #198 on: 08 / February / 2011, 16:27:31 »
Hi:
   My name is Joleny. I have a question. I'm using the SX130is CHDK but when I download the raw files to my PC no program recognize them. I'm doing something wrong??? Thanks in Advance.

You're not doing anything wrong, you just don't have the necessary software to do anything with them.  I didn't either until yesterday, when I downloaded and installed "Raw Therapee", which is open source and free.  Adobe Photoshop CS supports RAW, but costs $500, and there are others as well.  Quid mentioned Raw Therapee in a thread a while ago, and in the three times I've used it since yesterday, so far so good!  I absolutely understand now why RAW is a great thing. I could bring detail out of shadows that would have been impossible with a jpg.  You might also do a web search for RAW workflow, because it's not really the same process as image editing.   Get ready to learn a bunch of stuff!
Don't let the sands of time get in your lunch.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #199 on: 08 / February / 2011, 16:52:37 »
Hi:

You're not doing anything wrong, you just don't have the necessary software to do anything with them.  I didn't either until yesterday, when I downloaded and installed "Raw Therapee", which is open source and free.
Keep in mind CHDK 'raw' is not a proper file format, it's just a dump of the sensor. This means that software which supports CHDK raw must be updated for new cameras models, and the raw itself doesn't contain any metadata or identification to help these programs out. Most programs that understand CHDK raw use code from DCRAW, which guesses based on file size.

The alternative is to use in camera DNG, which is a well specified and widely supported format, but is slower.
Don't forget what the H stands for.