Mode dial is on VID
Camera On

ran CHDKPTP
CONNECT
REC
SET (of course it runs ok)
SET (menu off)
MODE P
SET (brings up the menu but looks like the VIDEO menu not P mode menu - does not crash)
SET (menu off)
MODE VIDEO_STD
SET (bring up the VIDEO set menu - does not crash)
SET (menu off)

seem the SET routine reads the physical mode dial when pressed and not the logical mode the camera is in

Re: Chdk for SX130 IS ?
« Reply #1051 on: 24 / September / 2012, 02:39:07 »
a few screen shots

as can be seen the mode is set to M but the menu displayed is the VIDEO menu.
however moving down it seems that the camera is totally confused and the left menu and the bottom menu are no longer in synch as the second pic shows the SINGLE SHOT / MULTI SHOT menu which is not a part of the VIDEO MENU
the third pic shows the resolution menu - again it is the M mode Resolution and not the Video Resolution

it seems Left menu reflects the Physical Mode dial
while the
bottom menu reflects the logical camera Mode

all this when the physical mode dial is on VIDEO only

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #1052 on: 24 / September / 2012, 16:16:58 »
@ntstatic
I tried this scripted mode change on my SX100. It doesn't crash on "set", but the shooting menu is inappropriate, as in your case.
However, just tried running this script
Code: (lua) [Select]
set_capture_mode(9)
sleep(10)
post_levent_to_ui("ModeDialToMovie")
from a random mode (Av or Tv), and it's a step closer, meaning the shooting menu is now correct. The jogdial still doesn't do what it is supposed to. Mode 9 is MODE_VIDEO_STD (see the enum in include/modelist.h).
Side note: I had to do the same in my S1IS port to make mode change work.

« Reply #1053 on: 25 / September / 2012, 01:48:06 »
@ntstatic
I tried this scripted mode change on my SX100. It doesn't crash on "set", but the shooting menu is inappropriate, as in your case.
However, just tried running this script
Code: (lua) [Select]
set_capture_mode(9)
sleep(10)
from a random mode (Av or Tv), and it's a step closer, meaning the shooting menu is now correct. The jogdial still doesn't do what it is supposed to. Mode 9 is MODE_VIDEO_STD (see the enum in include/modelist.h).
Side note: I had to do the same in my S1IS port to make mode change work.

that it !!!!
executed
after setting mode to Video in PTPCAM
and the camera no longer crashes - the menu is proper too

THANKS !!!
just a side note ...
does this mean that "post_levent_to_ui("ModeDialToMovie")" should be called after every change in mode ?(not only to video) so that the camera knows what mode menu has to be shown ?

will try it on SX 150SX too later in the day (dont have it at hand at the moment)

-- you are right moving down the menu is not proper, but pressing the left or right button (trying to navigate the bottom menu, via ptp) seems to correct the menu
« Last Edit: 25 / September / 2012, 01:52:18 by ntstatic »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #1054 on: 25 / September / 2012, 01:58:49 »
does this mean that "post_levent_to_ui("ModeDialToMovie")" should be called after every change in mode ?(not only to video) so that the camera knows what mode menu has to be shown ?
There should be a ModeDialTo* levent for each position. Suppose it's possible it doesn't actually matter which one you use...

You can get a list of levents on your camera by iterating over the levent table with get_levent_def_by_index(index), see http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Lua/Lua_Reference/Levent

Ideally, if this is required for a  mode switch it should be done in setmode, but implementing it correctly for all the different cameras seems challenging :(
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #1055 on: 25 / September / 2012, 02:59:25 »
There should be a ModeDialTo* levent for each position. Suppose it's possible it doesn't actually matter which one you use...

You can get a list of levents on your camera by iterating over the levent table with get_levent_def_by_index(index), see http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Lua/Lua_Reference/Levent

Thanks reyalp, will add that to my ptp code....
is there somewhere i can get a list of string values for the 'event'. maybe i could create a custom setmode script for each of my cameras(I mostly use the sx series sx 120, sx 130 and now sx 150 etc  ) for the moment i am just updating my pc side interface to include the "post_levent_to_ui("ModeDialToMovie")" for only the video mode because i really hate to change something which is not broken (always tends to create more bugs - but that is the purpose of 'H' in CHDK isnt it ? :))

Offline reyalp

« Reply #1056 on: 28 / September / 2012, 02:28:21 »
is there somewhere i can get a list of string values for the 'event'.
Yes. Note that they vary somewhat between camera models.
Code: [Select]
con 15> !t={};con:execwait('b=msg_batcher() i=0 repeat local v={get_levent_def_by_index(i)} b:write(v) i=i+1 until not v[1] b:flush()',{libs='msg_batcher',msgs=chdku.msg_unbatcher(t)}) return t
Note that many levents do not have a name. Since the command above saved the result in t, you could print out the names ones like
Code: [Select]
!for i,v in ipairs(t) do if v[1] ~= '' then print(v[1]) end end
to print all the named ones

maybe i could create a custom setmode script for each of my cameras(I mostly use the sx series sx 120, sx 130 and now sx 150 etc  ) for the moment i am just updating my pc side interface to include the "post_levent_to_ui("ModeDialToMovie")"
You could probably come up with a way to extend setmode.lua to post the right events given a camera specific table.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #1057 on: 29 / September / 2012, 09:04:49 »
You could probably come up with a way to extend setmode.lua to post the right events given a camera specific table.

will try this first as i will do the least damage to my set system. i will revamp the whole setting once i get to the SX 150 batch (after finishing the few SX 130 that i have left)
Thanks

« Reply #1058 on: 21 / October / 2012, 09:36:12 »
hi there. this is a bit off topic from the more recent thread, but i am trying to load CHDK on my friend's SX130is camera, but after i try to do the firmware update, it just turns off, and won't turn back on 'til i take out the SD card. i can put it back in, and try again, but the same things happens every time. is it because the firmware on this camera isn't supported? it's firmware version GM100B and there isn't a choice for it on the list, so i just tried every version, and they all do the same thing. there is a choice for 100B for the SX120is, and i even tried that, but that actually says it doesn't work, rather than just turn off. anybody got any suggestions, or is this camera doomed to stock functions?

« Reply #1059 on: 21 / October / 2012, 09:43:04 »
after i try to do the firmware update, it just turns off, and won't turn back on 'til i take out the SD card.
This almost always means you are loading a firmware version that does not match what is in your camera.

anybody got any suggestions, or is this camera doomed to stock functions?
But there is hope - apparently there is a firmware update available from Canon (this is very rare) for your camera version that would move your to a version supported by CHDK.  Read through this thread - its explained here :

http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=5691.msg68447#msg68447

Or just go straight here :

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Official_Canon_firmware_updates

Otherwise, it would require someone to translate the port for your firmware vesion.  Not a difficult job but not trivial either.

link> CHDK FAQ : My camera isn't ported yet
« Last Edit: 21 / October / 2012, 09:50:59 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16