Remote shutter release on SD4000 IS / IXUS 300HS possible? - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Remote shutter release on SD4000 IS / IXUS 300HS possible?

• 6 Replies
Remote shutter release on SD4000 IS / IXUS 300HS possible?
« on: 30 / September / 2010, 16:02:52 »
Advertisements
Hi,

I'm looking for a small camera, mainly to mount it on my Quadrocopter (http://www.mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/MarcoKopter) for areal photography. I thought the SD4000 IS  / IXUS 300HS would be nice.

Is it possible to take pictures with this camera by applying 5V to the USB connector and using CHDK and a script like this:

@title USB-Shoot
while 1
  for n=0 to 900 step 1
    wait_click 1
    if is_key "remote" then
      shoot
    endif
    if n=900 then
      click "shoot_half"
    endif
  next n
wend
end

Does this already work with the available beta version of CHDK for this camera? Will it work with the final version?

Cheers,
Marco

Offline pixeldoc2000

• IXUS900Ti 1.00C, IXUS300HS 1.00D
    • pixel::doc homebase
Re: Remote shutter release on SD4000 IS / IXUS 300HS possible?
« Reply #1 on: 01 / October / 2010, 12:09:57 »
Hello Marco.

I'm looking for a small camera, mainly to mount it on my Quadrocopter (http://www.mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/MarcoKopter) for areal photography. I thought the SD4000 IS  / IXUS 300HS would be nice.
I'm currently porting CHDK for SD4000, but it's still beta.

Is it possible to take pictures with this camera by applying 5V to the USB connector and using CHDK and a script like this:
Basicly yes, i managed to get Remote working on my SD900 Port. I think most ported cameras support remote. The actual voltage need depends on the camera hardware.

Does this already work with the available beta version of CHDK for this camera? Will it work with the final version?
Nope, i didn't test or implemented Remote Stuff with my beta yet.
Maybe final version will support it, dunno.

BTW: I stubled over mikrokopter some time ago, sadly it's not a very cheap toy...
i had a few model aircraft some time ago... what frustrated me was, this stuff does tend to "break" and i end up with a bag of very expensive trash more than one time ;)
« Last Edit: 01 / October / 2010, 12:34:15 by pixeldoc2000 »

« Reply #2 on: 01 / October / 2010, 14:15:36 »
Hi pixeldoc2000,

The actual voltage need depends on the camera hardware.

Hmm... isn't USB always 5V? Anyway, even if its a different voltage, it shouldn't be too difficult to get it from the copter, as long as it's <= 12V.

Nope, i didn't test or implemented Remote Stuff with my beta yet.
Maybe final version will support it, dunno.

Do you have any estimate when you'll know if it's gonna work? Some weeks or rather months? Don't worry, I'm not gonna nail you down to what you say, I'm a software developer myself and I know how "precise" such estimates are. :-)
It's just that this Ixus 300 looks like really nice camera, and I can't wait to get one, but if I remote shutter release doesn't work, I might still have to look for another cam...
What about scripting, does that work yet?

BTW: I stubled over mikrokopter some time ago, sadly it's not a very cheap toy...
i had a few model aircraft some time ago... what frustrated me was, this stuff does tend to "break" and i end up with a bag of very expensive trash more than one time ;)

Hehe, I fly model aircrafts since more than 10 years and it still happens that I crash them.... Just two weeks ago I crashed an elctric jet (it goes over 200km/h), but I think I can fix it.
The Mikrokopter is actually very easy to fly, since it's got lots of electronics on board to stabilize it. In fact, if you have the GPS and height sensors on board (both is optional), if you don't know what to to anymore you simply take your fingers off the remote and it should stop and stay exactly at its position. But I'm getting off topic here. :-)

Offline pixeldoc2000

« Reply #3 on: 01 / October / 2010, 15:01:00 »
Hmm... isn't USB always 5V? Anyway, even if its a different voltage, it shouldn't be too difficult to get it from the copter, as long as it's <= 12V.
yes, usb power supply voltage is 5V. But it depents on actual camera hardware how much voltage is needed to "trigger" the hardware. look at http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CameraFeatures -> "Min. USB-Remote Volts / Wakes up on USB signal".

Do you have any estimate when you'll know if it's gonna work? Some weeks or rather months? Don't worry, I'm not gonna nail you down to what you say, I'm a software developer myself and I know how "precise" such estimates are. :-)
It's just that this Ixus 300 looks like really nice camera, and I can't wait to get one, but if I remote shutter release doesn't work, I might still have to look for another cam...
What about scripting, does that work yet?
I'll look for remote stuff ASAP... can't make any promise yet ;)
Scripting does work AFAIK... but not every function has been tested yet. Please read SD4000 porting thread for more information.

Hehe, I fly model aircrafts since more than 10 years and it still happens that I crash them.... Just two weeks ago I crashed an elctric jet (it goes over 200km/h), but I think I can fix it.
The Mikrokopter is actually very easy to fly, since it's got lots of electronics on board to stabilize it. In fact, if you have the GPS and height sensors on board (both is optional), if you don't know what to to anymore you simply take your fingers off the remote and it should stop and stay exactly at its position. But I'm getting off topic here. :-)
I read the Mikrokopter wiki and watched some videos... but i belive even a good Gyro can't safe you all the time...
Agree, very off topic  ::)
« Last Edit: 01 / October / 2010, 15:07:14 by pixeldoc2000 »

« Reply #4 on: 01 / October / 2010, 15:01:13 »
Hmm... isn't USB always 5V?

The camera is not a USB-powered device.

The USB V+ is simply a logic signal that tells the camera it has been connected to the PC.
On some cameras, it can be as low as +3V.
It can also be higher than +5V.

Offline pixeldoc2000

« Reply #5 on: 01 / October / 2010, 19:13:43 »
I'll look for remote stuff ASAP... can't make any promise yet
Good news: I've added USB Remote Support for Beta v4 just for you ;).
USB trigger Voltage is around 3,5V.

« Reply #6 on: 02 / October / 2010, 04:07:42 »
Good news: I've added USB Remote Support for Beta v4 just for you ;).
USB trigger Voltage is around 3,5V.

Cooool, thank you so much! Guess I'm gonna order an Ixus 300 today!  :D :D :D