CHDK dng profile generator project - page 2 - RAW Shooting and Processing - CHDK Forum  

CHDK dng profile generator project

• 37 Replies

Offline vit40

Re: CHDK dng profile generator project
« Reply #10 on: 10 / December / 2010, 17:05:17 »
Advertisements
Hi,

For Photoshop + ACR on Windows XP (my environment), location for profiles is

c:\Documents and settings\all users\Application data\Adobe\Camera Raw\Camera Profiles

profiles can be in this folder or any of its subfolders

On Vista and Windows 7, this folder is different. Also, I'm not sure what's the profile folder for Lightroom. Easyest way is to search a hard disk for files with extension .dcp (after you installed Lightroom) and put profiles in the same folder. Or you can check Adobe's documentation

This will only work if you have some of cameras I made profiles for (A620, A650, SX110). If you don't, I can generate a profile for your camera the same way I did with Aged member (procedure is described above)

To check a difference between jpeg from camera and jpeg from ACR, I used a simple pixel pick program, whick can show RGB value of individual pixel. I opened both images in two different windows, swiched between them and checked how good they match on different parts of extensive calibration chart that was used to generate the profile

« Reply #11 on: 11 / December / 2010, 13:04:26 »
Does this design for the dng generated by CHDK directly or also work with the old raw-> dng4ps2 process?

Offline vit40

« Reply #12 on: 11 / December / 2010, 13:57:00 »
It doesn't matter whether dng is created in camera or converted from chdk raw format by dng4ps program (if I understood the question correctly). Im using raw->dng4ps workflow

Anyway, advantage of dng from camera is that it has WB as shot info, so you can use it in ACR. Dng from dng4ps doesn't have WB info. I have an utility to copy WB info from jpeg to dng, but at the moment, only A620,A650,SX110 are supported also
« Last Edit: 11 / December / 2010, 14:10:34 by vit40 »

« Reply #13 on: 11 / December / 2010, 21:25:23 »
@vit40,

I noticed that you produced an S3IS profile for Aged.

I have a S3IS camera. Can I have a copy of the profile.

Thanks in advance.

Offline vit40

« Reply #14 on: 12 / December / 2010, 09:43:50 »
Hi. Here is the profile for S3IS

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=63PHU4FK

Unfortunately, jpeg that Aged send me to make profile was made in Custom color mode wit contrast set to lowest position, so this profile has tone curve with relatively flat upper part. I asked him to send me also a jpeg with normal contrast, but he didn't. You can try it and see the result. If you find that photos doesn't have enough contrast, there are two options

- move the contrast slider to the right (from default +25 position). Result won't be the same as from camera, as lookup table in the profile is also somewhat different, but maybe you will find it satisfying
- read the instructions above, so we can make another profile. Instructions are relatively long, but procedure is in fact quite simple and straightforward

« Reply #15 on: 12 / December / 2010, 10:25:29 »
@vit40,

Thanks, I have downloaded the file and saved this page. It will take me time to digest the info.

« Reply #16 on: 13 / December / 2010, 09:36:20 »
Can you share this utility? I am going to try this profile on the photos I took in Japan and see how it work.
BTW, I noticed that the camera profile your created is larger than the built-in profiles in CameraRaw (239kB vs 110 kB), is that because you calibrate more colors than adobe?
Another idea is that since A650 share the same sensor and lens with G9, is it possible to hack G9 profiles and make them recognized as A650

It doesn't matter whether dng is created in camera or converted from chdk raw format by dng4ps program (if I understood the question correctly). Im using raw->dng4ps workflow

Anyway, advantage of dng from camera is that it has WB as shot info, so you can use it in ACR. Dng from dng4ps doesn't have WB info. I have an utility to copy WB info from jpeg to dng, but at the moment, only A620,A650,SX110 are supported also

« Last Edit: 13 / December / 2010, 09:45:01 by oversky »

Offline vit40

« Reply #17 on: 13 / December / 2010, 10:36:49 »
I had intention to share the utility, as I wrote in the first post, but since nobody was interested, I terminated working with it. Calibrating algorithm is finished, but interface isn't, so usage needs changing some parameters in the code and recompiling (it's written in Delphi)

Anyway, I'm available to make profiles for your cameras - it will take less time for me than finishing the program and will minimize possibility of errors. In case there is suddenly too much requests, which I doubt, then I will finish it, so other members can do it on their own

About profile size, latest Adobe camera profiles are bigger, because they have bigger lookup table, with 90x16x16 points (it was 36x16x16 on older camera profiles). I suppose that the reason is banding in some very saturated red and blue colors because of lookup table interpolation during raw development, that is considerably reduced this way, although still present to small extent. In my profiles, lookup table is 90x15x16 - it has 1 saturation segment less, due to number of patches in calibration chart, but it's not a problem.

It is possible to try Adobe Camera profiles for G9 with A650, or my profiles for A650 with G9. All that is needed is to change an exif tag "Unique camera model" in the profile to match the camera name. This can be done by freeware command line utility exiftool.

And one more detail I didn't mention before - exiftool can be used also for setting Baseline Exposure Tag in dng files to 0; in that case, there is no need for moving exposure slider to 0.5 to match the camera jpeg with my profiles
« Last Edit: 13 / December / 2010, 11:21:07 by vit40 »

« Reply #18 on: 13 / December / 2010, 18:32:52 »
Hi, Vit,
I forgot to mention that my camera is A650. So I think I could use the file you just compiled. Hopefully it won't be too job for you. As for hacking G9 profiles, I was thinking about changing some hex code in the G9 profiles, so we don't need to update EXIF everytime.

Offline nonno

« Reply #19 on: 28 / January / 2011, 11:37:25 »
Hi vit, I've got an A650 (and I already downloaded your profile, thank you very much) but I also own a S5 IS, have you got a profile for this camera too? If not, can you generate a profile if I send you the files?