A480 remote USB Switch actions - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum

A480 remote USB Switch actions

• 35 Replies
A480 remote USB Switch actions
« on: 24 / October / 2010, 17:28:37 »
Advertisements

Re: A480 remote USB Switch actions
« Reply #1 on: 03 / November / 2010, 14:01:36 »
You can certainly do that with SDM but as I do not use CHDK I am not sure.

Strange that no CHDK users have replied.

If you want to try SDM, even temporarily, I can certainly answer your questions about that.

You can take a photo the instant the USB V+ goes high.

There is even a special option for wireless doorbell receivers that locks-out further pulses for a certain time.

That means you can even trigger the camera from a signal that consists of multiple pulses.

If you can do any of this with CHDK, someone should reply.

David

« Reply #2 on: 03 / November / 2010, 18:34:11 »
Thanks very much for your reply. SDM is the Stereo Data Maker...right

As I am new to this can I assume that there is some script that allows SDM to lock out a longer trigger signal? I currently have 2 options one with a 4 sec high pulse and the other with a pulsed led.

Thanks again for replying!

Bryce

« Reply #3 on: 03 / November / 2010, 19:14:23 »
SDM is the Stereo Data Maker...right

Yes, but it is not just for stereo.

can I assume that there is some script that allows SDM to lock out a longer trigger signal?

No script required.
It is not the length of the signal that it locks out, it is repetitive pulses like your pulsed led.

From memory, in menu Bracketing/Overrides set focus mode to manual.

That should work with your four second pulse.

Then, in Advanced menu there is an option (in Miscellaneous I think) to set a lock-out time in seconds.

If you set it to five seconds for example, the camera will not trigger on any pulses after the first until after five seconds.

Anyway, it will be interesting to hear how you get on.

Temporarily rename your existing DISKBOOT.BIN and replace with SDM version.

Incidentally, there is an option in Stereo menu to turn-off the header at the top of the screen or to have a 'compact' header that displays less information.

David
« Last Edit: 03 / November / 2010, 19:25:23 by Microfunguy »

« Reply #4 on: 04 / November / 2010, 11:48:29 »
Thanks David I will have a go at the weekend , and let you know how I get on
Cheers,
Bryce

« Reply #5 on: 06 / November / 2010, 18:19:28 »
HI David just a quick note as promised to say that setting the Focus Mode to Manual in the menu Bracketing/Overrides has worked fine and my remote switch (applying 4.5V) takes a picture each time I press it. :D
 I've been doing a bit of reading on SDM and found (in understanding Direct/Fast and sync Modes) a ref to S_FAST which covers what you told me. However there are several other bits ie C_FAST/T_FAST/BURST/SPORTS and T_SYNC which I cannot find in the menus. Am I looking in the wrong place?? Are they only available in different modes? :-[

Cheers,

Bryce

« Reply #6 on: 06 / November / 2010, 18:53:19 »
S_FAST = single shot, take photo as FAST as possible after remote switch pressed.

Those modes you mention are not in menus, they are displayed in the header at the top of the screen if you have it enabled.

I cannot remember all these descriptions either  :)

From memory, C_FAST is continuous mode focus and/or Tv bracketing (but two cameras not synchronised)
Tv exposure alternates.

T_FAST is custom timer focus and/or Tv bracketing (but two cameras not synchronised)
Tv exposure can be lighter, darker or alternating.

BURST will start taking photos as fast as possible as soon as you press the switch and only stop when you press the switch again.
You could try that.

SPORTS mode is for fast synchronised shooting using two cameras, you constantly press-and-release the remote switch or us a commercial device that does it for you.

(I have been donated a free gentStereo Pro).

T_SYNC is a custom timer synchronised shooting with two cameras mode, I think.

By synchronised, I mean that when you release the switch the two photos are taken at almost the same time, on average no more than 1/5000 second apart.

You need that precision for stereo otherwise a racing car, for example, could seem to be UNDER the race track !

Did you use the long pulse or the led pulses ?
« Last Edit: 06 / November / 2010, 18:57:41 by Microfunguy »

« Reply #7 on: 07 / November / 2010, 06:18:13 »
Thanks again for the information it is very much appreciated.
Regarding the led/pulse I forgot to mention that my "Chinese door bell" ceased working so was not able to try it. (The checks were done with my simple remote switch.) I will need to look around for another one so I can get the wireless remote built!

Am also reading avidly about motion detection by fudgey, there are so many things you can do with SDM it is brilliant!!

Bryce

« Reply #8 on: 07 / November / 2010, 06:46:09 »
Am also reading avidly about motion detection by fudgey

Make sure that you use the version provided in Common_files.zip.

There are some additions to the original CHDK version.

You can display the sample points or sample cells or both.

There is a  uBasic function that detects camera shake and ta function that takes a photo when there has been no movement for a certain length of time.

« Reply #9 on: 08 / November / 2010, 13:05:20 »