G12 release? - CHDK Releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

G12 release?

• 28 Replies
G12 release?
« on: 01 / November / 2010, 23:29:43 »
Advertisements
Hey--I'm new to CHDK but have been lurking here for a while. Is anyone working on a g12 release? I just bought one and was sad to find no info about development for this model.

It's a decent camera but the HD is terribly compressed. I definitely wouldn't recommend upgrading just for that..

Best,
Beelzebilly

Offline reyalp

Re: G12 release?
« Reply #1 on: 01 / November / 2010, 23:54:10 »
Welcome. This FAQ entry applies.

It appears that no one is working on this camera yet, there isn't even a wiki page for it. You can try to get a firmware dump (I suggest using the Canon Basic dumper), but a port will not be made until there is a developer who has the camera.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline kezug

« Reply #2 on: 04 / November / 2010, 22:00:42 »
If I put my CHDK formatted card from my G11 camera into my G12 (in lock mode) and I am unable to power on the camera with the card in Lock mode. If I put in unlocked, my camera will power on.

I hope Canon didnt block out the camera from reading an unlocked card  :(

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 04 / November / 2010, 22:09:27 »
If I put my CHDK formatted card from my G11 camera into my G12 (in lock mode) and I am unable to power on the camera with the card in Lock mode. If I put in unlocked, my camera will power on.

I hope Canon didnt block out the camera from reading an unlocked card  :(
This is actually a very good sign, it means the diskboot is being loaded. It's for the wrong camera and probably the wrong encoding, so it crashes right away, giving the appearance of not starting at all.

Offline kezug

« Reply #4 on: 04 / November / 2010, 22:14:02 »
Ok, this is good to know then...I am hoping for a CHDK release soon for the G12 as I miss it already.

Oh, to fix my situation, I must unlock the camera, remove the battery, install battery, and then I am able to power on.

Offline kezug

« Reply #5 on: 04 / November / 2010, 22:34:56 »
BTW, I would be happy to obtain and publish a dump. However, I tried finding the dumper to use, along with instructions, but after several link hops to several pages, I found myself confused and back to a post 2 years ago that I just wasnt sure if it was relevant or not.

Point me in the right direction and I will work on it.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #6 on: 04 / November / 2010, 22:51:10 »
You should try the canon basic dumper first. To do this, you need to prepare a script disk as described on http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Canon_Basic/Card_Setup

Then get the canon basic dumper script from http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Canon_Basic/Scripts/Dumper and save it as extend.m in the root of your SD card. The file must be plain text.

Start your camera in play mode and press SET.

The script should display something like "FF810000" and then "done" in the upper left of the screen. The text may be black, in which case you may not see it if you have no images on your camera, or that area is dark.

Offline kezug

« Reply #7 on: 05 / November / 2010, 07:14:24 »
Thanks. i will try this this weekend.

Offline kezug

« Reply #8 on: 06 / November / 2010, 00:19:36 »
I am having a hard time figuring out what to do with the first link. There are 3 sections (CHDK, NIX and Windows) yet it doesnt really explicitly state what I am supposed to do (put it on the card, what size card, then what?)

If I already have a card formatted for CHDK use (as in my G11), can I just put the the dumper code (named extend.m) at the root of that card and do the boot to play mode, then press set?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #9 on: 06 / November / 2010, 00:26:37 »
I am having a hard time figuring out what to do with the first link. There are 3 sections (CHDK, NIX and Windows) yet it doesnt really explicitly state what I am supposed to do (put it on the card, what size card, then what?)
You need to use *one* of those methods to prepare your card as a canon script disk.
If I already have a card formatted for CHDK use (as in my G11), can I just put the the dumper code (named extend.m) at the root of that card and do the boot to play mode, then press set?
No, CHDK bootable preparation is not the same as canon script disk preparation. You can use CHDK on your G11 to create a script disk, but this requires building your own copy of CHDK with native calls enabled. (quite easy with whims gui: http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=845.390 )

The script preparation process is describe on the main canon basic wiki page http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Canon_Basic