A470 with CHDK 0.9.9-953, external power pack, usb trigger - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

A470 with CHDK 0.9.9-953, external power pack, usb trigger

• 14 Replies

Offline Mickyj

• IT and Camera self confessed nut
    • Mickyj.com
A470 with CHDK 0.9.9-953, external power pack, usb trigger
« on: 04 / November / 2010, 07:57:20 »
Advertisements
Using the default Canon firmware, an external power pack and USB trigger, it all works fine. Using 0.9.9-953 on the SD card, the camera may last one flash photo and then says batteries are flat and shuts down.

It keeps telling me the batteries are flat.

I can't see anyone else commenting on this so I suspect that the latest CHDK would not contain a fix (Not enough people using it in this combination ?).

Does anyone have any advice ?
Michael Jenkin (Mickyj)
www.mickyj.com (Community website)
Canon - A470, IXUS 330, EOS 350D, 10D, 30D, 5D, 1D

Re: A470 with CHDK 0.9.9-953, external power pack, usb trigger
« Reply #1 on: 04 / November / 2010, 08:58:58 »
Welcome Michael !

First of all, how can you use a USB trigger with the default Canon firmware ?

The USB trigger is a CHDK feature.

David

Offline Mickyj

• Mickyj.com
« Reply #2 on: 05 / November / 2010, 06:21:41 »
Sorry, I fired that question off without proof reading. You are right, I need Chdk to be able to USB triger. I have an external timer and trigger circuit attached to the camera via the USB. With power attached (or using batteries) and the USB plugged in and sending the trigger signal (but being ignored in the default firmware) and manually pushing the shutter button, I can shoot, charge the flash, shoot, change the flash etc etc etc until I have done it too many times to count.

Now I leave everything as is, plug in the SD card with CHDK and up comes the camera flashing the version of CHDK. Then the strangeness happens.

One time, it did not even take a photo or activate the flash. It flashed up "low batteries" and shut down.
Sometimes I get it to trigger the flash 2x and take two photos, then it says low batteries and shuts down.

Most commonly, I get one flash activation and it shuts down.

Any ideas ?
Michael Jenkin (Mickyj)

Offline Mickyj

• Mickyj.com
« Reply #3 on: 05 / November / 2010, 06:23:16 »
BTW, thanks for the welcome. Thanks for taking the time.
Michael Jenkin (Mickyj)

« Reply #4 on: 05 / November / 2010, 18:04:31 »
I could ask why you are applying a voltage pulse to the USB connector of a camera running the normal Canon firmware  .. but that seems not to cause a problem anyway.

With CHDK running, how does an ordinary USB remote switch work, or if you do not have one what happens if you connect and disconnect the camera to a PC ?

David

Offline Mickyj

• Mickyj.com
« Reply #5 on: 05 / November / 2010, 18:55:21 »
You certainly could ask that. The camera was a cheapy from eBay and it was the very last test I did. I guess I got to the point where I just wanted to try everything and in every combination to see what I could work out.

A bit despirate I know !

To your question .. No, I do not have a remote however, I think you have hit the nail on the head.

When I plug my laptop in with the Canon Firmware, it does the same thing as using the trigger with CHDK. It seems the camera looses voltage or can't get enough Amps when using the flash and monitoring the USB port. Good spotting.
Michael Jenkin (Mickyj)

Offline Mickyj

• Mickyj.com
« Reply #6 on: 05 / November / 2010, 19:13:51 »
There is more to this. I have uploaded 9-964 and have not plugged in the USB at all. When the firmware first comes up, the battery logo is 100%. When I take my first photo the flash fires but as soon as the shutter button is depressed, before the flash fires,  the battery logo goes to empty. After this, the battery empty logo keeps flashing (regardless that the power pack is still attached). taking a second shot just shuts the camera down.

I have tried this 4 times so far with the same results.

Removing CHDK and using the canon firmware, it works normal. Flash fires, recyles, fires and the recycles and so on.

Maybe a setting in CHDK is causing an upset so I am looking though my settings now. 
Michael Jenkin (Mickyj)

« Reply #7 on: 05 / November / 2010, 20:22:59 »
Is the camera trying to communicate with the PC ?

If so, there is the usual audible indication of the USB  'on connect' event and an associated programme (like ZoomBrowser) may start-up.

I don't use CHDK but somewhere there is a menu setting to enable the USB remote switch.

Have you enabled it ?

Is the camera in Record mode or playback mode ?

Offline Mickyj

• Mickyj.com
« Reply #8 on: 05 / November / 2010, 20:55:09 »
No, it is not trying to communicate the USB is simply plugged in from the laptop.
Weird.

There are no apps installed for the camera on the laptop, having said that, Vista did not tell me anything was attached to USB. I was in photo mode and I think you need to be in a different mode for the PC to see the camera.

I will check on the USB remote switch option. I have not enabled it in the standard Canon Firmware (As I don't have a remote switch). All the remote features are enabled in CHDK.

The camera is in record - photo mode.
Michael Jenkin (Mickyj)

« Reply #9 on: 06 / November / 2010, 07:08:46 »
With CHDK disabled (just unlock the card) and the camera in Playback mode, Vista should detect the camera.

With CHDK enabled (card  unlocked) , the camera in Playback mode and remote USB disabled, Vista should detect the camera.

With CHDK enabled (card  unlocked) , the camera in Playback (or Record)  mode and remote USB enabled, Vista should not detect the camera.