Basic Question - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Basic Question

• 5 Replies
Basic Question
« on: 05 / November / 2010, 08:46:09 »
Advertisements
Okay I have a Canon A1000is nothing on the CHDSK site that supports it, but I found a beta version that is for my camera, the link only has a DISKBOOT.BIN. the process i follow is as such:

I took by 2gb SD card and ran CHDK program and formatted it and then made it botable
I copied the DISKBOT.BIN to the root of the card
I enabled the write protect on the card
Inserted card into camera and started, but a little lost from there if in fact I did everything correct to that point.

Just to let you know I did determine the Firmware via the instructions so I was getting the correct file t download.
But do I need a CHDK folder on the card with all the sub folders and files and if so where do I get that from?

A newbie asking for help....Thanks....I really want time lapse feature on the camera

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
Re: Basic Question
« Reply #1 on: 05 / November / 2010, 09:04:52 »
Hello & welcome, dfrancefort !

I took by 2gb SD card and ran CHDK program and formatted it and then made it botable
I copied the DISKBOT.BIN to the root of the card
I enabled the write protect on the card
Should be ok, i guess with "CHDK program" you're meaning CardTricks...

Inserted card into camera and started, but a little lost from there if in fact I did everything correct to that point.
Maybe CHDK is up & running ? - with CHDK running, you should see some additional informations / symbols on the OSD...

Do you see the CHDK boot splash screen on power-on ?
  You should see the splash screen for 1-2 seconds when CHDK is starting...

Does the camera respond to key presses ?

Can you enter the CHDK <Alt> mode and open the CHDK main menu ?
  (press PRINT to enter <Alt> mode, then MENU for the CHDK main menu)

--> http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_User_Manual

But do I need a CHDK folder on the card with all the sub folders and files and if so where do I get that from?
CHDK works without those files like scripts, fonts, grids usw. - you can download one of the 'official' full CHDK packages from the Autobuild server, expand all files to your card and then replace the diskboot.bin (and maybe the ps.fi2) with the beta from the forum link...

« Reply #2 on: 05 / November / 2010, 10:59:04 »
Do you see the CHDK boot splash screen on power-on ?
  You should see the splash screen for 1-2 seconds when CHDK is starting...

No, all I get is Card Locked on the display

Does the camera respond to key presses ?

Can you enter the CHDK <Alt> mode and open the CHDK main menu ?
  (press PRINT to enter <Alt> mode, then MENU for the CHDK main menu)

I only get the standard menu

So if I am using Card Tricks  the steps are....

Attach card with card reader
Format card as Fat
Make Bootable
Download CHDK (there is a A2000is, but no A1000is)
CHDK->Card
Then overwrite the DISKBOOT.BIN with the one actually for a A1000is camera
Eject card
Lock card
and use in camera

« Last Edit: 05 / November / 2010, 11:11:17 by dfrancefort »

Offline zeno

« Reply #3 on: 05 / November / 2010, 13:12:20 »
Those are the right steps, but note that:
1. the card must be formatted as FAT16 (not FAT32)
2. it must be made 'bootable' by writing the string "BOOTDISK" at offset x'40' of the boot sector of the card

Note that step 2 is NOT at all the same thing as making a cd or hard disk bootable. It's a special CHDK/SDM thing.

Without these 2 steps CHDK will not bot automatically.
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #4 on: 05 / November / 2010, 13:31:39 »
Yep, both were done using card tricks, is there a way in DOS to make sure that all the boot files are there?

I check in Windows 7 disk management and it is definitely FAT and NOT FAT32, but it does not indicate BOOT, but in Card Tricks CHDK Autorun:  ON('BOOTDISK' at 0x40) and the make bootable button is greyed out so I am assuming it should be bootable
« Last Edit: 05 / November / 2010, 13:37:48 by dfrancefort »

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
« Reply #5 on: 05 / November / 2010, 14:28:04 »
Sounds like everything is OK ...
Is your camera still giving you "Card Locked" with this ?

If yes -> use a hex editor to double check for the BOOTDISK signature at offset 64 / hex 0x40
in sector 0 of the disk (need a suggestion ? http://www.roadkil.net/program.php/P24/Sector%20Editor)

If, on the other hand, your camera crashes with this setup and a DISKBOOT.BIN present,
(that is, you have to remove the batteries to get it to start again) chances are high
that your DISKBOOT.BIN and camera versions are not the same.

hope that helps,

wim

PS Very rarely it also happens that SD cards cannot be made bootable, mostly mini/micro cards with an
    adapter ... if all else fails you could try the whole thing with another card, maybe