Exif Data for .crw files? - RAW Shooting and Processing - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Exif Data for .crw files?

• 6 Replies
Exif Data for .crw files?
« on: 16 / February / 2008, 20:04:32 »
Advertisements
My first post to this message board. I'd like to thank everyone concerned for putting out such a helpful little proggie. I'm having a lot of fun with it.

I've downloaded Allbest's most recent build for my S2IS and have been fiddling with it for a week or so. I'm still exploring what all of the settings can do for me! So one of the first things I'm looking at is the RAW capability. It took me a while to get my RAW files to convert to something I could see. ZB of course, wouldn't read em. PS wouldn't either. I tried converting them to .DNG's which didn't work initially. I then tried using Gimp with the UFRaw plug-in. That's working out just fine. So now I can view and edit the RAW files but I noticed there's no EXIF data for them. I've read Barney Fife's thread regarding converting the exif data for CHDK and have snagged his patch and have that running with EXIFTool. It seems that now I can see the Exif data for all image files BUT my .CRW RAW files. The .DNGs I've made from the .CRWs have the EXIF data and that can be seen by EXIFTool. Is this normal or is there something else I need to do?

FYI, I'm new to this level of imaging but I'm always looking for a way to improve. Prolly like all of you. Thanks in advance.

Drano

Re: Exif Data for .crw files?
« Reply #1 on: 16 / February / 2008, 22:26:03 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 12:21:47 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

« Reply #2 on: 16 / February / 2008, 23:51:41 »
Thanks for getting back so fast, Barney.

OK so if I'm hearing you correctly the EXIF data doesn't transfer to the .crw files but does to the .dng files? If that's the case then I've got that much working as I've checked out the dng4ps util as well which is where I came up with the .dngs in the first place. Still, it seems odd as I've made the .dng's from the .crw's<scratches head>. Maybe where I'm losing you is where you say "corresponding .jpg files". What files would they be if I'm shooting in RAW only? I only see the .crw files on my card. Should I be setting something to shoot both? Of just shoot a .jpg right away using the same settings? (I know higher end cams will shoot both at the same time but am unaware I might be able to do that with CHDK on the S2IS)

Could it also be (prolly more than likely me thinks) that I'm such a newb to the RAW format that I don't know that there might not be any diff at all between the .dng files and the .crw files I've produced them from? Are they in fact the same exact file with a different extension? If that's the case then I've already got this working. If not can you tell me the difference? Thanks.

« Reply #3 on: 17 / February / 2008, 00:14:38 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 12:22:06 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

« Reply #4 on: 17 / February / 2008, 12:38:58 »
Ahh sooo! <little light bulb goes on>

You're right--I hadn't noticed the .jpg being created as I never thought to look for one but there they are in the other folder. So I've now set them to go to the same folder with the same img_ prefix.

So my workflow should be like this now:

1. Take pic in CHDK RAW mode.
2. Put card in reader and point CHDK2EXIF at the .jpg's in the common image folder and convert.
3. Point DNG4PS at the common folder and convert.
4. Ignore the .crw files remaining in that folder.
5. Open the newly created .dng files with UFRaw/Gimp and process as usual.
6. Save as a TIFF that can be further processed in PS or other editor as needed.
7. Save all the originals together for archiving.

That sound like a plan that'd work?

« Reply #5 on: 17 / February / 2008, 16:44:01 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 12:22:25 by Barney Fife »

« Reply #6 on: 17 / February / 2008, 23:22:49 »
Yes I always transfer to the HD before editing a copy of the original. I never work with the originals unless, like here, I'm taking pics of the living room to test. I opted for CHDK2EXIF to make a copy rather than overwrite. I currently don't have software that will open the .crw files directly, that's why the 17 flaming hoops. But this is workin for me. But at the end of the process I now have a .crw, a .dng and a pair of .jpgs for each image.

I don't know that I'll be using RAW for everything(although some do) but its nice to know I have the capability for those photo safaris.

Thanks again for your help. Now to fiddle with those motion detector and lightning scripts :)