SD940 (IXUS120) porting thread - page 46 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum

SD940 (IXUS120) porting thread

• 542 Replies
Re: SD940 (IXUS120) porting thread
« Reply #450 on: 14 / May / 2011, 03:02:23 »
Advertisements
I realised it was because the refresh rate was set to 20 (seconds).
Ah yes - PEBKAC.   That happens sometimes.

Now i'm having a different problem: Vieo stops after 10 -20 seconds, with no script running, and an empty 4GB memory card!!
Im downgrading to an older build, because i need zoom in video for a trip tommorow, and i cant video if it cuts out every ten secs.
Just tried this with builds 1176 and 1184 using an SD940 with firmware 1.03C.  Shot a couple of boring 5 minute videos using the default Canon and CHDK settings.  Everything worked fine on record and playback.  So it seems that :

1) There might be a bug in the 1.01A version of CHDK for the SD940.  I suppose its possible except that its basically the same code in both versions (as I did both ports) and nothing has changed that I know of related to video since code that you state works okay.

2) You might be using a feature that I didn't use ?  How did you setup CHDK video ?

3) You might have a bad SD card - or at least one that is not formatted correctly.  That has turned out to be the root cause of a number of strange problems reported on this forum.

Did reverting to an earlier version help out ?

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline Maron

« Reply #451 on: 14 / May / 2011, 09:45:13 »
I was doing a normal video. Optical zoom and change quality in video were both selected.
I'm using a 4GB Class 2 Micros SD in an adapter. I'll format it and reload CHDK. The older version did not fix the problem.
edit: Formatted. Problem still occuring. Now video goes for about 6-10 seconds.

Also, force manula flash does not work, both in Auto mode and P. All the other overrides work fine. I tried with power set to 0, 1 and 2, and even turned on the canon flash, but that just resutled in a normal flash firing. According to the users guide, the flash should still fire even if in the canon interface flash is turned off.
« Last Edit: 14 / May / 2011, 10:05:12 by Maron »

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
« Reply #452 on: 14 / May / 2011, 10:37:11 »
@Maron

From the manual (p. 32 English)
Recording may stop even if the maximum clip length has not been reached on
some memory cards. SD Speed Class 4 or higher memory cards are recommended.

HTH,

wim

« Reply #453 on: 14 / May / 2011, 10:56:11 »
Optical zoom and change quality in video were both selected.
I'm using a 4GB Class 2 Micros SD in an adapter.
Tried changing the Video Mode to "Quality" per your comment.  If I then set the Video Quality to anything higher than 80, the video times out as you have reported and the higher the setting,  the faster the time out.  But this is on a "no name" el-cheapo SD card so I'm pretty sure it does meet Class 4 specs as mentioned in whim's post.

EDIT :  So the conclusion is that as the video quality is increased,  the camera via CHDK needs to be able to write to the SD card more quickly.  A fast SD card is required for "best" quality shooting.

Also, force manula flash does not work, both in Auto mode and P. All the other overrides work fine. I tried with power set to 0, 1 and 2, and even turned on the canon flash, but that just resutled in a normal flash firing. According to the users guide, the flash should still fire even if in the canon interface flash is turned off.
I'll take a look at this.  I remember testing this during the initial release test and confirming that it was working but that was quite a while ago so who knows ?

« Last Edit: 14 / May / 2011, 11:03:53 by waterwingz »

Offline Maron

« Reply #454 on: 15 / May / 2011, 01:17:59 »
You are right about the quality vs default. i chagned it back to default and now there is no problem. Thanks for that!
Regarding using a Class 2, i've never had a problem with it (till now), and its SanDisk, so it does work. (I paln on upgrading to 16gb Class 6+ spometime soon, as Ted's is offering a 20% discount for members...)

Just downloaded 1187. Any major fixes?
Also, i was reading the users manual the other day, and i saw that some cameras let you take photos while videoing. Is it possible with the 120?

« Reply #455 on: 15 / May / 2011, 03:48:16 »
Regarding using a Class 2, i've never had a problem with it (till now), and its SanDisk, so it does work.
Its not really a problem with the card - its just that class 2 cards are slow.  When you try for higher quality video,  there is more data to write to the card every second and a class 2 card runs out of speed at some point.   The SD card class tells you how fast the camera can write data to the card.  If the camera trys to record data faster than it can write it out to the card, then recording will stop.  A class 2 card is half the speed of a class 4 card, a third the speed of a class 6 car and a fifth the speed of a class 10 card. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SD_card#Speed_Class_Rating
Just downloaded 1187. Any major fixes?
Not sure how to answer that - it depends on which version you are using previously.  Probably not though - lots of the trunk updates are for small changes or fixes to other cameras.  Occasionally something important changes though so getting a new version from time to time is a good idea.  Or you could register for to be notified with each update if you like receiving a lot of email.

Also, i was reading the users manual the other day, and i saw that some cameras let you take photos while videoing. Is it possible with the 120?
Not that I know of, but I didn't realize it was possible with any of the cameras either. (manual ?  read the user's manual ?  :-[ )

« Reply #456 on: 15 / May / 2011, 04:51:47 »
My plan is to creat a 3d SDM rig with the two cameras so a 1.00e port would be awesome.
Here you go - at least I think so as I don't have a 1.00e camera to test this with.

IXUS120SD940 Firmware 1.00e

Let me know how it goes ?

« Reply #457 on: 15 / May / 2011, 10:51:49 »
I'll take a look at this.  I remember testing this during the initial release test and confirming that it was working but that was quite a while ago so who knows ?

Manual flash works in 1.03b.

« Reply #458 on: 15 / May / 2011, 19:09:03 »
Here you go - at least I think so as I don't have a 1.00e camera to test this with.
IXUS120SD940 Firmware 1.00e
Great stuff Waterwingz. I should be able to test monday evening. Many Thanks.

Offline Maron

« Reply #459 on: 16 / May / 2011, 03:50:29 »
Not that I know of, but I didn't realize it was possible with any of the cameras either. (manual ?  read the user's manual ?  :-[ )

Page 16 in the CHDK user guide says somethign about the S series being able to take photos whiel videoing by using a dedicated video record button. I know the 120 doesnt have one, but is it still possible?