SD940 (IXUS120) porting thread - page 25 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum

SD940 (IXUS120) porting thread

• 542 Replies

Offline zebra

Re: SD940 (IXUS120) porting thread
« Reply #240 on: 15 / January / 2011, 00:49:57 »
Advertisements
OK. Next step is to try an entirely different SD card. Currently attempting to use a fairly pricey SD-HC card. Will swap to a low density SD and see if it makes a difference...

z

« Reply #241 on: 15 / January / 2011, 19:20:36 »
OK. Next step is to try an entirely different SD card. Currently attempting to use a fairly pricey SD-HC card. Will swap to a low density SD and see if it makes a difference...
I have to confess to only having ever used a spare el-cheapo 2G card I had laying around.  Have not tested to see if there are any partition issues with cards larger than 4G that I see in some of the other threads. Hopefully not.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline reyalp

« Reply #242 on: 15 / January / 2011, 19:27:24 »
I have to confess to only having ever used a spare el-cheapo 2G card I had laying around.  Have not tested to see if there are any partition issues with cards larger than 4G that I see in some of the other threads. Hopefully not.
If multipartition works, it shouldn't depend on card size.

Multipartition can be sensitive to the exact tools and partition settings used.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #243 on: 15 / January / 2011, 19:57:07 »
If multipartition works, it shouldn't depend on card size.
That makes sense - I guess I could test multiparitions on a 2G or 4G cae okay. Still,  not short of other things to test so I'm thinking that as long as I didn't mess up the FAT32 stuff in boot.c it should be okay unless i hear otherwise.

Offline zebra

« Reply #244 on: 16 / January / 2011, 02:20:46 »
Hi guys.

So far, after a little help from waterwingz, I've managed to get 1.02C based code (beta5) booting. Some odd behaviour is apparent however.

With a (finally working) SD card (non HC), I turned RAW acquisition on through the ALT menu.

Took a couple of snaps. Things noticed:

1. It took a good 6 or 7 seconds with orange LED polling/processing to write out the image.

2. After the write out has complete, seemingly, camera is locked/hung and needs power cycle to be responsive again.

3. Every RAW acquired appears to be corrupt, so far.

Has anyone else bumped into this yet, or is this another "just me" thing?

Had a poke around:

Code: [Select]
int raw_savefile() {
    int ret = 0;  
    int fd, m=(mode_get()&MODE_SHOOTING_MASK);
    static struct utimbuf t;
    static int br_counter;

Seemed pretty spartan and lean, and started to wonder if it was related to the little processor in the IXUS 120 IS never really being geared to push ~18MB of captured CCD Data around that quickly, and this is more a function of the camera's hardware limitations than that of unoptimised code? That said - I don't know if the behaviour/core clock et al of the Digic IV processor in this unit is any different that of it's bigger DSLR brothers...

Cheers.

z
« Last Edit: 16 / January / 2011, 02:37:55 by zebra »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #245 on: 16 / January / 2011, 02:51:39 »
1. It took a good 6 or 7 seconds with orange LED polling/processing to write out the image.
This seems a bit long for non-DNG. Are you using a decent, recently formatted SD card ?
2. After the write out has complete, seemingly, camera is locked/hung and needs power cycle to be responsive again.

3. Every RAW acquired appears to be corrupt, so far.
How have you determined that the raw is corrupt ? Most programs will NOT be able to open a CHDK raw from a new camera without modification. They are just a sensor dump, not the CRW format suggested by the extension. The correct way to determine if the raw is corrupt is to examine the data and see whether it contains the image you attempted to capture.

You can use rawconvert (in the tools directory) to convert it to something you can open in photoshop, gimp or irfanview.

See earlier posts in this thread: http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=5855.msg59258#msg59258

Seemed pretty spartan and lean, and started to wonder if it was related to the little processor in the IXUS 120 IS never really being geared to push ~18MB of captured CCD Data around that quickly, and this is more a function of the camera's hardware limitations than that of unoptimised code?
Unlikely. Users of other firmwares have reported obtaining valid images without crashing. This is not something that is likely to change between firmware versions.

There may be some time limit on how long CHDK can hold things up saving the raw though, which could be triggered by a slow SD card.

You should try to get a romlog: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Debugging#Camera_crash_logs_.28romlog.29

Offline zebra

« Reply #246 on: 16 / January / 2011, 03:20:43 »
Hi.

Tried dcraw and Picasa 3 to open, as allegedly, Picasa 3 supports CHDK RAW now. Invalid image messages and things like this from dcraw:

Code: [Select]
bash-3.2# /Users/z/Downloads/usr/bin/dcraw -i -v CRW_1795.CRW
Cannot decode file CRW_1795.CRW

Suggested to me something wasn't right.

I'm eer'ing on the side of it's me, and not the firmware, nor the camera - and it's something obvious I'm missing. Trying raw-develop function from the camera too. Also going to hit up DNG mode...

I'll see if I can find yet another SD card, and go for a ROM log some time tonight!

Thanks guys!

z
« Last Edit: 16 / January / 2011, 03:37:03 by zebra »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #247 on: 16 / January / 2011, 04:37:42 »
Tried dcraw and Picasa 3 to open, as allegedly, Picasa 3 supports CHDK RAW now. Invalid image messages and things like this from dcraw:
There is no such thing as supporting "CHDK raw", because "CHDK raw" is not a format, it's just a dump of the sensor data. Some programs (like dcraw and picasa) support raw files from some CHDK cameras. If the sensor layout is different, then any program will need new code or configuration to support it.

That said, if your camera is crashing in raw save, it wouldn't be surprising if the data were corrupt or incomplete.

Offline waldo

« Reply #248 on: 16 / January / 2011, 15:07:50 »
Also keep in mind that you should be able to generate a .DNG file and open that in something like IrfanView to check the image rather than using the Raw format.  That works for me in 102C.

« Reply #249 on: 16 / January / 2011, 16:00:56 »
That works for me in 102C.
Do you still have a crashing problem with RAW - presumably after it saves a valid DNG image ?