SD940 (IXUS120) porting thread - page 47 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum

SD940 (IXUS120) porting thread

• 542 Replies
Re: SD940 (IXUS120) porting thread
« Reply #460 on: 16 / May / 2011, 09:59:11 »
Advertisements
Manual flash works in 1.03b.

Confirmed for the 1.03c tonight - works fine at changing the flash power although it appears that you can force the flash off with the Canon setting regardless of the CHDK setting. 

Triple checked the address for FlashParamsTable in stubs_min.S for the 1.01a and it looks okay.

Not sure what else I can do at this point.

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #461 on: 20 / May / 2011, 02:09:04 »
Greetings, I am new to CHDK as well as this forum, so please have patience with my ignorance.

I am trying to use the Remote function in conjunction with a product made for kite aerial photography, the "clickPAN-USB" (http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/clickpan/usb.htm), which is supposed to trigger the shutter release via the USB cable. When it actuates, the camera acts as though the shutter release button has been pushed halfway down, causing the camera to focus rather than actually taking a picture. Is there any hope of making this device work so that it remotely triggers a shot rather than just the focusing mechanism?

A second, somewhat unrelated question: I have looked for a script for an intervalometer for the SD940 and haven't found one. I suspect I'm looking in the wrong place; could someone direct me if one does exist?

If it helps, my camera's firmware is 1.03b (filename of the version I am running is "ixus120_sd940-103b-0.9.9-1177-full_BETA").

Thanks for your attention.

Offline zeno

« Reply #462 on: 20 / May / 2011, 04:33:06 »
Here's a simple test script for the click-pan (make sure enable remote is on):
Code: [Select]
rem test usb
while 1
   do
      a = get_usb_power
   until a > 0
   print "take a picture"
   shoot
   sleep 500
wend
end

and here's a simple intervalometer:

Code: [Select]
@title Simple Intervalometer
@param i Interval (Secs)
@default i 5
@param d Delay before start (Secs)
@default d 2

sleep 1000*d
while 1
   shoot
   sleep i*1000
wend
end
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #463 on: 20 / May / 2011, 09:21:58 »
When it actuates, the camera acts as though the shutter release button has been pushed halfway down, causing the camera to focus rather than actually taking a picture. Is there any hope of making this device work so that it remotely triggers a shot rather than just the focusing mechanism?
Take a look at the four postings in this thread starting at :  http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=5855.msg60212#msg60212.   Should point you in the right direction..

« Reply #464 on: 21 / May / 2011, 01:32:11 »
zeno, thanks for the scripts and waterwingz, thanks for the additional info.

The intervalometer works great, but unfortunately my setup appears to fail the click-pan test. I have the remote enabled, I load the script, and while in <Alt> mode I switch on the power to the click-pan, wait, and I don't see anything happening. Am I missing something?

Regarding

So by plugging the USB cable in and out twice I can get the shutter to fire in non-scripted mode if I get the timing right.  Good enough for me - I'm going to declare the remote feature working on this port.

I can get the same thing to work-- in non-scripted mode, plugging in/out the USB cable twice pretty fast will cause the camera to take a picture. I see in the CHDK manual that the half shutter-press reaction to a quick press of the remote is normal behavior. Unfortunately, in my case I'm not manually pushing a remote shutter button (if I were I could just push it twice). The control of the remote is automated by the click-pan.

Looks like I need to explore options besides the remote function/click-pan combination.

« Reply #465 on: 21 / May / 2011, 04:16:39 »
The intervalometer works great, but unfortunately my setup appears to fail the click-pan test. I have the remote enabled, I load the script, and while in <Alt> mode I switch on the power to the click-pan, wait, and I don't see anything happening. Am I missing something?  If it does not generate a double pulse,  how does it take a picture ?

The IXUS120 is not listed on the click-pan web site.  But as far as I know,  the code it uses for USB remote is identical to that used by all the supported cameras.  Which makes me wonder how it works with something like the IXUS100 for example ?

From http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/gentwire/chdk_sdm/index.htm it says "Note that the latest builds of CHDK and SDM have this functionality built in - i.e. You don't need a script to take a picture"   There are also some sample scripts listed there - did you try any of them ?

Offline Maron

« Reply #466 on: 21 / May / 2011, 05:58:37 »
Sorry for interrupting this conversation, but I just brought myself a 16gb card,  and i recall everyone saying that you have to partition it in order for anything more than 4GB to work. I just copied the CHDK files from my old card to the new one, loaded it thru the firm update, and it runs fine. I took a few photos and a video just to make sure it would write, and it did. (The only gripe is that the capacity thingie at the top says 14GB, and I would prefer and amount in MB's.)
Am i missing something, or is this the first time that someone has successfully loaded CHDK to a more-than-4gb-card-without-partitions...? (or was it always possible?)

« Reply #467 on: 21 / May / 2011, 06:25:07 »
Am i missing something, or is this the first time that someone has successfully loaded CHDK to a more-than-4gb-card-without-partitions...? (or was it always possible?)
Its because you are using the "firmware update" method of loading rather then using a bootable SD card.

You only need to fool around with partitions if you want to create a bootable card.

« Reply #468 on: 21 / May / 2011, 12:09:57 »
From http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/gentwire/chdk_sdm/index.htm it says "Note that the latest builds of CHDK and SDM have this functionality built in - i.e. You don't need a script to take a picture"   There are also some sample scripts listed there - did you try any of them ?
I hadn't seen that page with the sample scripts until you mentioned it, but I then did try the Remoteshutter.bas script with no luck. The camera doesn't appear to respond in any way to the click-pan's signal when running the script (i.e. not even initiate the half-press focusing behavior, which it does when only running CHDK with Remote enabled and no script).

Yep, I had found earlier that the IXUS120 isn't listed on the click-pan website when I started troubleshooting. Rather than give up at that point I thought I'd try asking to see if anyone could point to a work-around, but looks like my best bet will be to use an intervalometer in place of remote shutter firing. 

« Reply #469 on: 21 / May / 2011, 12:22:37 »
The camera doesn't appear to respond in any way to the click-pan's signal when running the script (i.e. not even initiate the half-press focusing behavior, which it does when only running CHDK with Remote enabled and no script).

Yep, I had found earlier that the IXUS120 isn't listed on the click-pan website when I started troubleshooting. Rather than give up at that point I thought I'd try asking to see if anyone could point to a work-around, but looks like my best bet will be to use an intervalometer in place of remote shutter firing.  
Interesting.  I'll take a look (or at least put it on my list of 3 or 4 things that don't seem quite right with the IXUS120).  No promises but this is one of the things I want to see work with the camera so I should have an answer in the next week or two (other work permitting).