« Reply #40 on: 09 / February / 2011, 06:08:24 »
Advertisements
Hello.
now i post all to
http://goprouser.freeforums.org/the-gopro-hero-hd-bus-interface-t797-50.html

Re: GoPro HD HERO 1080 Firmware
« Reply #41 on: 09 / February / 2011, 06:17:42 »
Stefan,

the real experts on firmware are all here at chdk.
Please keep them posted.
I guess we all can read both websites.

Jan
DIY-streetview.org - Do It Yourself streetview!

« Reply #42 on: 10 / February / 2011, 06:39:22 »
To studying the bus this breakout board could be a great alternative: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8295
Depending on the connector you'll need to cut two small plastic walls. I didn't try this particular connector by myself.

Here goes the scheme to on/off start/stop cams using the bus and that connector.
This is a quick and dirty alternative. Not intimate related to the firmware hacking by itself.
I'm posting here just as example and reference to the connector type and the respective mapping.

The red part of diagram is about composite output video. You need to down to ground pins 20 and 21, to enable pin 2 as composite video output. If you ground just pin 20 you will enable component on pins 2, 3 and 4 (Pb, Y and Pr respectively).
« Last Edit: 10 / February / 2011, 06:45:02 by Playmobil »

« Reply #43 on: 10 / February / 2011, 10:11:07 »
Hello,

Cool stuff you guys are doing here. I was wondering if anyone could help me with my problem. I bought a HD Hero 1080 used from REI. I brought it home and attempted the firmware update. It failed and now the unit will not turn on. GoPro support can't help and says that I must have done something wrong when upgrading the firmware. Now I have a bricked device.

Seeing as you guys are taking cameras apart and playing with the firmware, do you know of any way to flash a new firmware onto a dead camera?  I have flashed atmel chips with programmers before, but this is over my head.

Any advice, or is my camera done for?

Thanks,
Tristan

« Reply #44 on: 11 / February / 2011, 10:33:13 »
Stefan,

the real experts on firmware are all here at chdk.
Please keep them posted.
I guess we all can read both websites.

Jan

Ok ok I also post all news here, too.

Have a nice weekend, so long
Stefan

Offline pixeldoc2000

• IXUS900Ti 1.00C, IXUS300HS 1.00D
    • pixel::doc homebase
« Reply #45 on: 11 / February / 2011, 15:10:27 »
I bought a HD Hero 1080 used from REI. I brought it home and attempted the firmware update. It failed and now the unit will not turn on. GoPro support can't help and says that I must have done something wrong when upgrading the firmware. Now I have a bricked device.
Did you make shure the battery was full before the firmware update? Maybe camera has died half way trough the update. This would probably be very bad if there is no firmware rescue loader or simular.

Did you test camera without SD-Card or other card?

Test if camera get detected via USB connection. Also test other outputs like composit video or HDMI.

If all of this fail, probably UART connection could give you some output.

Seeing as you guys are taking cameras apart and playing with the firmware, do you know of any way to flash a new firmware onto a dead camera?  I have flashed atmel chips with programmers before, but this is over my head.
If you have the right tools, maybe it possible to flash firmware directly to NAND ;)

Probably worth a try to nicely ask GoPro Support to reflash camera if its not a hardware fault.
« Last Edit: 11 / February / 2011, 15:12:58 by pixeldoc2000 »

« Reply #46 on: 01 / May / 2011, 14:00:26 »
has there been any progress in the firmware investigation?

i'm interested in knowing the maximum bit-rate these cameras & a nice sdhc card could pull off.
anyone here able to answer this?  and perhaps implement it?

« Reply #47 on: 07 / May / 2011, 13:26:55 »
Hello,

Just wanted to let you know how to dump the memory (the correct ways :) ):
Code: [Select]
echo Starting > d:\z
date >> d:\z
savebin d:\savedmp1 0xc0000000 l 0x1000 >> d:\z
savebin d:\savedmp2 0xc0000000 to 0xc0000fff >> d:\z

http://spritesmods.com/?art=zx3hack&page=4 has big C instead of small c in readme.txt. If it's "C" you'll probably get a incorrect error message:
Code: [Select]
savebin d:\a 0xC0000000 l 0x100 >> d:\z

savebin: 'd:\a' No such file or directory!

So the rules are:
1. Line end should be LF instead of CR LF.
2. Last line in autoexec.ash should be terminated with LF too.

I've got a Kodak ZX1, but it seems to be ok for GoPro too.

« Reply #48 on: 26 / May / 2011, 03:18:50 »
Hi pixeldoc2000,

I've reverse engineered the the 3d sync cable: http://goprouser.freeforums.org/gopro-3d-hero-sync-cable-t3185.html

Once I get some cameras (sync kit and cameras from different suppliers, sync kit arrived first so in pieces first) I'll put a logic analyser on the various lines and see if I can work out what is happening.

Also I'll find out what's on the two I2C eproms.

- Mike

« Reply #49 on: 26 / May / 2011, 05:26:03 »
I've reverse engineered the the 3d sync cable:

Good work Mike !

If possible, it would be very useful if you can compare the firmwares with and without stereo support.

I would also like to know if the cameras really are 'precision synchronised' or not.

David