why can't I Make Bootable? - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum  

why can't I Make Bootable?

• 5 Replies
why can't I Make Bootable?
« on: 15 / December / 2010, 22:09:40 »
Advertisements
I am trying to get started with CHDK.  Following the instructions in CDHK for Dummies I downloaded CardTricks, formatted 512 MB card with FAT16, but was unable to click the Make Bootable button.  The button is there but is "dimmed" or inactive.  It does not respond to being clicked.  I tried continuing as if Make Bootable had succeeded.  The rest of the steps seemed to work, but the card doesn't boot in the camera (SD450 1.00D).

Where did I go wrong?  How can I Make Bootable?

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
Re: why can't I Make Bootable?
« Reply #1 on: 16 / December / 2010, 04:12:18 »
Hello & welcome, tomh !

Maybe an issue with your OS or your card reader; some SD cards could also show such effects, e.g. mini-SD cards with SD adapters...

You can start CHDK manually (with "Firmware Update" from the Canon menu) and call Make card bootable from the CHDK Misc. menu...

You can also use a hex editor to write the CHDK bootable flag to your card, read more here:
* http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Bootable_SD_card
* http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/German/Manuelle_Bootkennung

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
« Reply #2 on: 16 / December / 2010, 04:40:37 »
Hi tomh,

Welcome to the forum !

The 'Make Bootable' button can be unavailable (greyed out) for 2 reasons, shown above the buttons:

1) card is formatted is FAT32 -> you will see "File System:     FAT32"

2) card is already bootable -> you will see "CHDK Autorun: ON('BOOTDISK' at 0x40)"

If case 1, you will need to re-format: click "Format as FAT", wait, check if it now says "File System:  FAT".
the "Make Bootable" button should be available, click it; because of the formatting, you will need to
re-install your CHDK files from ixus55_sd450-100d-0.9.9-1004-full.zip

If case 2, your card is ready to boot CHDK

in either case, don't forget to LOCK your card (slide tab away from electrical contacts) before inserting
it into your camera or it will not boot CHDK.

Hope that helps, if it does not, don't hesitate to repost,

wim

PS As usual, fe50 was faster  :D   never mind, maybe still useful ...

« Reply #3 on: 20 / December / 2010, 13:16:55 »
Thanks to both fe50 and whim for quick replies.

I tried to update firmware using the camera menu but got "Update File Error!!!"

CardTricks (v1.44) shows File System: FAT  and CHDK Autorun: <blank>

My .zip file is called a450-100d-0.9.9-1004-full.zip.  That's different than the one you list.  Is it wrong?
I have reformatted the card and re-installed the CHDK files several times.

The SD card is the one that came in the camera.  I had replaced it with one of higher capacity.

The OS is Windows Vista Home Premium, the card reader is also in my 2009 HP laptop.

I do lock the card before inserting it in the camera, and the camera detects that it is locked.

I have a hex editor (frhed) but was not able to find how to write the flag.  Do I edit a file or must I find another way to point the editor at the correct bytes?  I looked at DISKBOOT.bin but it didn't have anything recognizable at offset x'40'.  Those links seemed to be aimed at addressing problems with large SD cards.  I could not find any helpful instructions for my situation.

More ideas?

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #4 on: 20 / December / 2010, 13:36:29 »
I tried to update firmware using the camera menu but got "Update File Error!!!"
You're using a wrong CHDK version !
Do you own a Powershot SD450 (IXUS 55 in europe) or a Powershot A450 ???

--> Identify your camera & firmware version, then download & unzip the correct CHDK full package; with the correct CHDK version on the SD card, start the camera in playback mode & call the "Firmware Update..." menu item...

The OS is Windows Vista Home Premium, the card reader is also in my 2009 HP laptop.
Can you try another (USB) card reader ?
Also try starting Cardtricks with administrator rights...

You may also try this new tool: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/EOScard : set the FAT and BOOTDISKoptions

« Reply #5 on: 31 / December / 2010, 23:55:37 »
I got the right firmware version, and now it works.
Thank you
 - tomh