"Card export" for canon's? - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum

"Card export" for canon's?

• 3 Replies
"Card export" for canon's?
« on: 19 / December / 2010, 03:32:38 »
Advertisements
On PDA's there is a cool app that allows the PC to see the memory card inserted as if it is connected thru a card reader. I am currently using CHDK on my SX20IS with auto loading. Since I have a 16gb card, I can only access it thru "Swap Partiotions" on camera then SDM before replug it into the camera. Wouldn't it be nice to make all these changes with having to remove it from camera?
On a second thought, I have to remove the card from the camera to switch it from read to write in order to have this.....
Anyway, it would be nice to have this for people that are loading manually the CHDK on their cameras.

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
Re: "Card export" for canon's?
« Reply #1 on: 19 / December / 2010, 05:35:50 »
Wouldn't it be nice to make all these changes with having to remove it from camera?
It would, but there are two issues where CHDK can't help:

a) Canon doesn't implement the "mass storage device" support to access the P&S camera's storage this way
   * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_mass_storage_device_class
   Only a limited PTP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picture_Transfer_Protocol) protocol is implemented...

b) Microsoft designed the default Windows driver for removable storage media (the driver for card readers)
    to work only with a single partition / to see only one (the first) partition...

Offline SkyWalker9

• SX20 IS (fw 1.02b)
« Reply #2 on: 19 / December / 2010, 14:42:51 »
« Last Edit: 19 / December / 2010, 18:34:31 by SkyWalker9 »

« Reply #3 on: 20 / December / 2010, 14:16:36 »
Right....THX again everybody.... I was only trying to make my life easier with using the 16gb cards....
When I first made my card bootable/dual partition/fat 16 limited I lost 5 to 6 hours trying to put everything in place. Later I added SDM prog to both partitions just to make sure I can access and swap everywhere.
Again, thx a bunch!