"DNG visible via USB" option with folders other than 100CANON - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

"DNG visible via USB" option with folders other than 100CANON

• 3 Replies
"DNG visible via USB" option with folders other than 100CANON
« on: 26 / December / 2010, 04:37:55 »
Advertisements
Running build 0.99.9-1005 on a G7 "I". To get around having to swap partitions everytime I use a card reader on an SDHC card, I've started to plug my camera via USB instead to transfer files. I've turned on "DNG visible via USB", but I also set the camera to create a new folder everyday, and set CHDK to place RAW files in the same folder as the JPGs, while also using DNG instead of CRW. Through these combinations of options, the CHDK actually doesn't show DNG files in folders other than 100CANON. I was wondering if there is a fix for this, or if there is one in the pipeline coming out soon?
I'd appreciate it if there were a fix, but I guess having all the files in one folder isn't going to kill me. =]

Online reyalp

Re: "DNG visible via USB" option with folders other than 100CANON
« Reply #1 on: 26 / December / 2010, 15:01:32 »
These two options should be unrelated.

If you disable DNG "visible via USB" and shoot regular raw, do they show up in the correct folder with jpeg ? How about if you do shoot DNG but use the CRW extension ?
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 26 / December / 2010, 20:23:27 »
Hm...very strange. Okay, I was mistaken in thinking the problem was with the XXXCANON folder numbers...but CHDK still has problems showing DNG files.
In any case, yes both RAW file types (DNG and CRW) show up in the correct folders. I'm having trouble recreating the exact circumstances that prevent DNG files from showing up via USB. Here's what I've done so far:
  • Take several shots across two new folders and one prexisting one, with DNG raw enabled. Files are now in 100CANON, 101CANON and 102CANON.
  • DNG appears in 100, but not 101 and 102.
  • Plug SD card in to reader. Nothing is done except browse folders.
  • Put SD card back into camera. DNG files now appear via USB in all folders.
  • Repeat process, same problem
So, seems when I create a folder via the camera's built in function, I have trouble seeing DNG files via USB. But for some reason if I plug it into a card reader first, I then have to issues. Very strange.

EDIT: OKAY! I know what's happening now (I think...). This has nothing to do with putting the card in a card reader, although doing so triggers the solution. I think the DNG via USB CHDK function searches for DNG files on boot. The problem I had was that I was taking photos and plugging the camera straight into my computer before turning the camera off in the interim. Of course, this isn't a problem for people 99% of the time, since you would turn your camera off in the time between taking a shot and getting around to plugging it into your computer.
So when I tried relocating my photos to 100CANON the first time, or simply browsing the card on my computer didn't actually do anything to CHDK or the card; the fact I removed the card from my camera simply means I would have to boot CHDK the next time I turned on my camera...therefore triggering the DNG file check.
In any case, I guess this is a non-issue, except for those who are shooting photos whilst sitting next to their computer. It just means newly shot DNG files don't appear till next CHDK bootup.
Lesson to take away: remember to turn your camera off at least once before plugging into the computer, kids! =]
« Last Edit: 26 / December / 2010, 20:33:47 by KayDat »

Online reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 26 / December / 2010, 21:20:18 »
Oh right. This is an old issue, not specific to DNG. Basically, some parts of the Canon OS doesn't see files made by CHDK until you reboot the cam.

This should be documented somewhere in the user manual or FAQ, but I don't think it is  :-X
Don't forget what the H stands for.