500d development - page 20 - DSLR Hack development - CHDK Forum

500d development

• 2487 Replies

alins

Re: 500d development
« Reply #190 on: 15 / February / 2011, 13:39:48 »
Advertisements
The 500d doesnt have the audio_thresholds table in it's firmware. The table is the same for all of the canon cameras, maybe by copying the table and putting in the audio header might work?

exactly, there's no audio_thresholds value. I've been playing around yesterday for few hours with different values and nothing yet: tried the value from 550d, the one from 5DM2 plus a few others. I even took a stab at IDA pro and i can't find this thing. either in 500d is under a different name or the audio is handled differently, or is just me not knowing how to use IDA pro.

currently i'm running ARM console in full mode over 500d firmware (it's been running since last friday !!), maybe that is gonna give some more data but i'm not holding my breath.

i think i got a little bit close by playing around since now the meters moved a little bit to a fixed value but is not moving back and forth dynamically. ML is reporting to me values for audio gain when it starts up so that should mean that something works.

also the camera speaker is not working which i really don't understand why

any ideas how to figure out why the camera speaker doesn't work?

« Reply #191 on: 15 / February / 2011, 14:29:16 »
Ok, I'm geting paranoid here. I'm trying to document all the additional VRAM buffers that show up when actually recording a movie, but they seem to either randomly disappear or contain garbage (though that may be because dumping the memory whilst recording makes the camera lock after a few seconds, so maybe the sensor data doesn't get updated correctly to the buffer).

I'm weeding through this, but I'm not entirely confident of the findings. I'm also a bit short on time, so it's going at a slow pace. The VRAM buffers seem to be less of an issue now that the correct one for zebra is found, anyway.

Regarding changing the 480 to 424 in the for loop: that is absolutely necessary, as the buffer is only 424 pixels high. Below that buffer there's a bunch of zeros, hence the blue zebras. Maybe add an additional value "ZEBRA_HEIGHT" or so in the consts file to keep the zebra sources for the 550D and 500D compatible.

« Reply #192 on: 15 / February / 2011, 15:08:37 »
Hi!
i only signed in to tell you guy that i am eagerly waiting! :P Your work is so great! Just wanna give you some extra motivation. Reading this thread and the wiki every day is like waiting for christmas when i was 40 years younger. :-)
Since my programming experiences are not deeply enough into that stuff. (i can do BASIC with linenumbers on a c16 :-)
i can not really help. I would like to do some testing and give you feedback but i heared about bricked cameras. Can running the chip hot damage it when i do not to take the battery out fast enough?
BR Nathan

alins

« Reply #193 on: 15 / February / 2011, 15:21:08 »
Maybe add an additional value "ZEBRA_HEIGHT" or so in the consts file to keep the zebra sources for the 550D and 500D compatible.

exactly what i was planning to do for 500d :)

« Reply #194 on: 15 / February / 2011, 15:27:57 »
The sensor / body overall gets really hot when you record normally for extended periods of time. (camera usually auto shuts off if its too hot) Meaning you have time to take it out when testing ML, just make sure if you feel unsure or see unusual things just take out the battery don't take the risk. I usually take off the battery, close the cap and take out the memory card and flip the on off switch a couple of times to make sure ML tasks are not running anymore. But yea if it gets hot enough it will damage your sensor. (which is REALL HOT, very improbable you'll reach that temp if you take out the battery promptly, and not waiting minutes)
« Last Edit: 15 / February / 2011, 16:18:57 by aznguy »

« Reply #195 on: 15 / February / 2011, 15:33:30 »
Ohhh, there's a weird problem ived noticed with my camera after testing ML, for some reason the lock function in movie mode (lock the current exposure, shutter, etc) tends to turn off all of a sudden and does not stay put. Also ive noticed that there's a slower write time because that bar pops up telling you that the data is not being written fast enough.. this has never happened before and only saw this after having used ML, any thoughts?

and i use a diff SD card for ML not my main card

alins

« Reply #196 on: 15 / February / 2011, 15:39:18 »
I would like to do some testing and give you feedback but i heared about bricked cameras. Can running the chip hot damage it when i do not to take the battery out fast enough?
BR Nathan

hey Nathan, welcome to the party !!

believe me, my camera is taking a lot of abuse these days with me running builds that are crashing the canon software (i love the message that they display....i know i will grow to hate it) or pulling the battery out every few minutes...and is still working fine. i've read of people that have deleted the ML file from a bootable card and the camera "looked" like is bricked when in fact is not. I haven't actually heard of anybody that managed to brick their camera. I'm not saying it's impossible just very improbable as long as you follow the install instructions and you don't try to install let's say 5DM2 ML on 500d or stuff like this (i believe somebody did that the other day and amazingly the camera still works!). These cameras are built to take a loot of abuse.

if you want to be extra cautious here's what i recommend: if you believe the camera is misbehaving take the battery out. In my opinion "fast enough" means don't wait minutes, not do it in under 1 second :).

Also i recommended this before: when you are done playing with your camera and you put it back on the shelf take the battery out one last time to make sure you stop any tasks that haven't been stopped properly. worst case if you don't do this: you could find your battery is out of juice (happened to me).

I haven't personally tested how hot the camera gets while using ML, aznguy is the man to listen on this subject as far as i'm concerned.

So have some fun, play with the latest builds and please open bugs here: https://bitbucket.org/alins/magic-lantern-for-500d/issues if you find anything that hasn't been reported before.

« Last Edit: 15 / February / 2011, 15:58:13 by alins »

alins

« Reply #197 on: 15 / February / 2011, 15:48:44 »
Ohhh, there's a weird problem ived noticed with my camera after testing ML, for some reason the lock function in movie mode (lock the current exposure, shutter, etc) tends to turn off all of a sudden and does not stay put.

hmm...i'm not sure what' the deal here. alex suggested in a previous response that some of the problems that we are seeing in movie mode have been fixed in the latest 550 codebase and we should move to the new codebase.

Also ive noticed that there's a slower write time because that bar pops up telling you that the data is not being written fast enough.. this has never happened before and only saw this after having used ML, any thoughts?

i believe i've also seen this on my camera...not sure what the problem is yet. i would like to retest this once we move to the new 550d codebase

« Reply #198 on: 15 / February / 2011, 16:13:34 »
It just seems weird because im using the original firmware and not running ML. Is it possible the canon firmware got modified?

Offline a1ex

• ML dev
« Reply #199 on: 15 / February / 2011, 16:22:09 »
currently i'm running ARM console in full mode over 500d firmware (it's been running since last friday !!)
You need to press CTRL-C a few times if you see it locked up.

any ideas how to figure out why the camera speaker doesn't work?
Put a recent audio.c from 550D.