500d development

• 2487 Replies

Offline Coutts

• www.flickr.com/couttsphotog
    • Flickr
Re: 500d development
« Reply #240 on: 18 / February / 2011, 10:09:51 »
Advertisements
if we could unlock 1080p to record at higher than 20fps and actually be usable, that'd be awesome :D but not sure what the odds of that happening are.

also for the audio triggering, is there going to be a setting in later builds to adjust the sensitivity of it? It kept triggering it self from quiet background noise while I was in the office at work yesterday.
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

Offline Coutts

• Flickr
« Reply #241 on: 18 / February / 2011, 11:22:54 »
by the way I just added some bugs to the issues reporting area here:

https://bitbucket.org/alins/magic-lantern-for-500d/issues
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

alins

« Reply #242 on: 18 / February / 2011, 11:28:09 »
I wi
if we could unlock 1080p to record at higher than 20fps and actually be usable, that'd be awesome :D but not sure what the odds of that happening are.

also for the audio triggering, is there going to be a setting in later builds to adjust the sensitivity of it? It kept triggering it self from quiet background noise while I was in the office at work yesterday.

to answer your first question: the odds at the moment are not very high just because my focus is on audio meters and making sure the existing functionality that we have for 500d works.  Once the existing feature set is stable i will have to do some research see if it's even possible to raise the fps. As usual if anybody is willing to take a crack at this problem don't be shy.

audio trigger: other than turning the feature off, i'm pretty sure there's a way to adjust the sensitivity. it will have to wait a little bit tough. meanwhile please create an issue in bitbucket about this, sounds to me like a very sensible feature request.

back to audio:
it seems we all agreed that the audio on this camera is mono, which means one single channel right?.

now here's my current theory why the audio meters don't work (remember theory: could be way off from reality):
as i said before, i played with the code a little bit and the values (let's call it signal strength for the lack of a better term) that i'm getting on my camera for audio on the single channel is very low (i plan to write some simple code to give me the high and low values). The rest of the code takes the low values and adjust them for scale which results in values close to zero so the meters don't move at all.

Alex, if you are reading this: do you have any idea what's the range of RAW audio levels values that you get on 550d?. i would define high as the highest values that you have seen.

i'm talking here about the value from this line:
 int raw = audio_read_level( ch );
« Last Edit: 18 / February / 2011, 11:31:09 by alins »

alins

« Reply #243 on: 18 / February / 2011, 11:28:39 »
thank you very much for adding the bugs Coutts, really appreciate it

Offline Coutts

• Flickr
« Reply #244 on: 18 / February / 2011, 11:42:07 »
No problem man! thank you for doing all of this work. as for the audio trigger, i posted it in the bug report but here's an idea for a threshold setting:
I know that the only option is to turn the feature on and off at the moment, maybe once the audio meters are working, you could make a setting for threshold that reads the current audio input levels, and at X db of input or whatever, turn the feature on and thus trigger the picture.

And as for the audio being mono, i'm almost positive it is, the internal audio anyway. The internal mic from what i remember in the video showing how to add an external mic hookup, has only 2 wires, positive and ground, which means mono right? stereo would have two sets of positive/negative wiring, for each channel.

it's my guess that on a hardware level, it's all mono. unless someone can tear apart a T1i and examine the actual board, I guess all we can do is speculate.

By the way I just put in another issue ticket for the crop marks not working. I just want to clarify:
1) i used churchin's .fir file a while ago to set the boot flag
2) i no longer keep the .fir file on my sd card, just the autoexec.bin file
3) do I need the magiclantern.cfg file that was included with churcin's original release? even though i don't have one on the card, when ML boots it still says a .cfg file is present (is this embedded in your autoexec.bin file or something?)
4) do I need the crop mark BMPs on my card still?

thanks again for everything man. do you have a facebook or anything I could add you at for easier contact? feel free to pm me.
« Last Edit: 18 / February / 2011, 11:45:08 by Coutts »
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

« Reply #245 on: 18 / February / 2011, 12:17:35 »
Alins- Thanks man but I'm not getting any ML Menus, I'm using the bin you gave me but yeah, no luck.

I have the same problem. "Picture Mode" moves the white box around. Trash doesnt make anything. Any suggestions? ML ist booting! i can see the boot messages!

Offline Coutts

• Flickr
« Reply #246 on: 18 / February / 2011, 12:31:44 »
Alins- Thanks man but I'm not getting any ML Menus, I'm using the bin you gave me but yeah, no luck.

I have the same problem. "Picture Mode" moves the white box around. Trash doesnt make anything. Any suggestions? ML ist booting! i can see the boot messages!
so you see the ML boot messages like this??
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

alins

« Reply #247 on: 18 / February / 2011, 13:06:24 »
3) do I need the magiclantern.cfg file that was included with churcin's original release? even though i don't have one on the card, when ML boots it still says a .cfg file is present (is this embedded in your autoexec.bin

you don't need that file to use ML.

alins

« Reply #248 on: 18 / February / 2011, 13:08:37 »

are you saying ML is not working for you?. i mean you don't get any menu's when you press the trash button?

« Reply #249 on: 18 / February / 2011, 13:26:21 »
yes, like this but it tells studio@studio-pc and the line with config file is dirctly below the other two lines. I tried several modes to boot up, tried trash and the button below "set", both in live modus. the button below "set" moves a white box in the middle of the screen down and the trash button resets it to middle.
What am i doing wrong?