AutoRun & Lock Key - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

AutoRun & Lock Key

• 5 Replies
AutoRun & Lock Key
« on: 02 / January / 2011, 03:58:29 »
Advertisements
Hi Mates,
I want to AutoRun CHDK with my G9,

But i am sick of using the lock key,

is there any way i can cancel the necessity of this by modifying the source code?

thanks

Offline reyalp

Re: AutoRun & Lock Key
« Reply #1 on: 02 / January / 2011, 04:08:03 »
Hi Mates,
I want to AutoRun CHDK with my G9,

But i am sick of using the lock key,

is there any way i can cancel the necessity of this by modifying the source code?
No, the canon firmware doesn't load CHDK unless the card is locked, so no code change in CHDK will solve this.

However, many cheap card readers ignore the lock, or can be modified to do so. In that case, you never need to unlock the card.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 02 / January / 2011, 04:13:36 »
Why is the canon firmware obliging this?

The card reader knows the card is locked using data it reads from the card or using a mechanical sensor?

Basically you are saying that the G9 does not try to read a firmware update from the card unless it is locked?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 02 / January / 2011, 04:21:36 »
Why is the canon firmware obliging this?
Don't know. Autoboot feature is for canon developers or service, I guess they don't care about locked card.
The card reader knows the card is locked using data it reads from the card or using a mechanical sensor?
By mechanical sensor. The lock tab on the card is just a sliding piece of plastic, there are no electronics. So you can get a cheap card reader, open it up, and break of the little switch that touches the lock.
Basically you are saying that the G9 does not try to read a firmware update from the card unless it is locked?
It won't read DISKBOOT.BIN, the autoboot file. Firmware update is a PS.FI2, but to use this you must go through the "firm update" menu every time you start the camera.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #4 on: 02 / January / 2011, 04:23:51 »
Thanks Mate

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #5 on: 02 / January / 2011, 07:53:37 »