Camera recommendations? (considering upgrade to better camera) - General Chat - CHDK Forum

Camera recommendations? (considering upgrade to better camera)

  • 4 Replies
  • 2059 Views
Camera recommendations? (considering upgrade to better camera)
« on: 17 / January / 2011, 12:19:06 »
Advertisements
Hi, I hope its ok to post this in general chat. I currently have a Powershot SD1100IS and I've been using it for a couple years, getting better at it, using the chdk, etc. I think I've gotten better in terms of framing good shots and that kind of thing, and I'm starting to get to the point where I think a better camera might actually help improve my photography. I'm not going to buy one immediately, but I want to start looking into what would be a good choice to upgrade to. I really don't know much about cameras besides my own, but I'm thinking I want a camera with the following aspects:
1. I can put the CHDK on it
2. It is significantly better than my current camera, in terms of zoom, megapixels, speed of taking photos, etc
3. It can be physically bigger than my current camera but I don't want it to be huge and heavy, because then I won't end up carrying it around as much as I want to.
4. I'm not sure what price range I'm looking at, but I don't think I want top of the line prices -- I guess I'm thinking something more like $500 than $1000 or more.
5. I would like to be able to attach lenses like wide angle lenses and ND filters, but I guess that isn't required.

So, I think I'm not looking for a top of the line DSLR, but something in between that and what I have now.

So, basically, I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations, or any advice or comments on what I should be thinking about? Thanks!
My Flickr Page
I use the chdk on my SX230 and SD1100 cameras, and I installed them using a Macbook, currently running 10.6.8.

Re: Camera recommendations? (considering upgrade to better camera)
« Reply #1 on: 17 / January / 2011, 19:36:53 »
S95 would be my choice - answers all your needs except number 5.   But then I put a big premioum on size - lots of wisdom in the quote "The best camera in the world is the one you have with you."
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Re: Camera recommendations? (considering upgrade to better camera)
« Reply #2 on: 30 / January / 2011, 17:44:22 »
Hey, thanks for the recommendation. It looks nice overall, but I wonder about the megapixels. My current camera is 8 MP, and that one is 10 -- doesn't seem like a big difference. The zoom is also 3.8 as opposed to 3, which seems really close.

The main thing I like about it is the wide-angle lens, because I often feel like my camera can't fit much in the frame (even compared to my cell phone, which is wider but obviously not as good). At a glance, the S95 seems close enough to my camera that it doesn't seem worth upgrading. Is there something I'm missing about it?
My Flickr Page
I use the chdk on my SX230 and SD1100 cameras, and I installed them using a Macbook, currently running 10.6.8.

Re: Camera recommendations? (considering upgrade to better camera)
« Reply #3 on: 30 / January / 2011, 19:18:23 »
Don't think you are missing anything as long as the picture quality is the same.  Not owning either camera I can't comment.  Once you own any recent small digital camera, you are 95% of the way there.  How much money are you willing to pay for the other 5% ?  (note : the S95 provides lots of manual control options not available in the cheaper powershots)
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16


Re: Camera recommendations? (considering upgrade to better camera)
« Reply #4 on: 30 / January / 2011, 19:25:42 »
Well, I'm partly trying to find out how much I'd have to pay to make a significant difference. That'll inform what I do. If it turns out there's a camera that's significantly better for, say, $500, I could seriously consider getting it soon. But if it turns out there's no significant difference below $2000, then I probably won't buy a new camera until this one breaks. So I'm curious for recommendations, since I just don't really know where to start looking, and I know people here know what they're doing.

One thing is I would really like a stronger optical zoom and a wider angle lens, since that would help with framing better shots. More megapixels seems like its always good, for printing large prints and/or cropping. But its not worth it unless its a significant difference, to buy a whole new camera.
My Flickr Page
I use the chdk on my SX230 and SD1100 cameras, and I installed them using a Macbook, currently running 10.6.8.

 

Related Topics