SDMinste020 ! Attention ! Danger ! - General Chat - CHDK Forum

SDMinste020 ! Attention ! Danger !

• 7 Replies

Offline Lebeau

SDMinste020 ! Attention ! Danger !
« on: 24 / January / 2011, 20:39:06 »
Advertisements
Bonjour,

After I create two partitions on my 16GB sd card, I use SDMinste020.exe to swap between partitions, under Windows 7 64b.

I have a 1TB external eSATA drive formatted in HTFS. After a partition swap, my external drive indicates RAW instead of HTFS.

I was able to get my 800GB videos back, after buying a file restore software, but I diagnose that behavior come from SDMinste020 which switch partition for all external drives.

It happens twice and the second times, I lost the eSATA drive again, without loosing any data :) but I 99,9% convince of my diagnosis.

So be warned !

Re: SDMinste020 ! Attention ! Danger !
« Reply #1 on: 25 / January / 2011, 08:16:13 »
I use SDMinste020.exe

What is that, where did you get it ?

EDIT

I see that is a modified version by Whim.

I have no idea what it does.
« Last Edit: 25 / January / 2011, 10:50:32 by Microfunguy »

Offline Lebeau

« Reply #2 on: 25 / January / 2011, 12:05:21 »
"SDMinste020.exe" is the SDM Install Windows version refered bu CHDK Install manual when you need to create a two partitionned SD card.

Here is a link:
http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/sdm/quick.htm

P.S.: I found the manual here:
http://images.wikia.com/chdk/images/9/91/CHDK_Installation_Guide.pdf

« Reply #3 on: 25 / January / 2011, 12:36:24 »
"SDMinste020.exe" is the SDM Install Windows version

No, that is "sdminst.exe".

"SDMinste020.exe" is referred to here :-

http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=255.msg29154#msg29154

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
« Reply #4 on: 25 / January / 2011, 14:01:35 »
I see that is a modified version by Whim.

If you call a quick upload of the copy I was using myself at the time 'modifying' - OK.
(I normally add version numbers to different versions of programs in my toolkit)
Otherwise, rest assured that I'm not in the habit of modifying other people's software.
Check the post's date and your own archives - I'm pretty sure it was the most recent version
of SDMINSTE at the time of writing, and if it was not that would simply be due to me not
checking the SDM site very regularly ...
I've DL'ed it once more (for archiving purposes) and will remove the attachment though,
wouldn't want anyone else to get hurt (edit: done)

wim
« Last Edit: 25 / January / 2011, 14:04:49 by whim »

« Reply #5 on: 25 / January / 2011, 14:47:26 »
I have reported this to the author of sdminst.exe.

« Reply #6 on: 25 / January / 2011, 18:22:29 »
Does sdminst.exe show the 1TB drive as 'DRIVE_REMOVABLE' ?
Does it show partition information for the 1TB drive ?

Can you provide a screenshot ?

Offline Lebeau

« Reply #7 on: 25 / January / 2011, 23:00:50 »
I am under Win 7 64b. I start to suspect SDMinst020.exe when my computer start to lag, very lag, just after swapping partition. It starts doing something else and searching to do something else with Windows Explorer.

The first time, I didn't suspect SDMinst since I had no problem under Vista 64, last year, but I lost my external esata drive with a fresh Win7-64 install. I suspect something else. The drive simple came RAW instead of HTFS, in the drive manager. Unrecoverable, the NTFS table was unreadable by many tools. I used a scan tool to recover files and folders. About 80% was named recovered and the other was untitled recovered.

But the second time I had done a SDMinst, it starts, again to search for something under Windows Explorer. Probably reconnecting the RAW drive. Immediatly, the drive manager indicates RAW instead of NTFS. So the same story.

sdminst don't show the 1TB drive at all. It recognize the sd card and I only use swap partitions on that card. I easily partitionned the card using Ubuntu virtualbox session, that wonderfully mount both partitions. I used sdminst only to swap instead of launching a virtual ubuntu session.

I don't know if sdminst show the 1 TB partition at all, nor if it could display information and/or removable or not.

I would suspect that stupid Win 7 (compare to linux environment) consider any external-removable-hot-swappable devices (my external drive was set as IDE, the first time, and AHCI, the second time, in the bios) like a "single" partition SD card or something like.

I will try to create two partitions in my external drive to test if <<El stupido>> will see both partitions and check if sdminst will tell winstupido to swap external partition or will make them RAW.

P.S.: I have more than 20 years of IT development project experiences, practicing with an undescriptible amount of technology. I like open source communities, and the way people contribute to expand universe ( i am physicist too :) ) but I have to stick near stupidity for business purposes :(
« Last Edit: 25 / January / 2011, 23:04:50 by Lebeau »