What are the odds of getting a non compatible firmware version on supported cam? - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

What are the odds of getting a non compatible firmware version on supported cam?

• 6 Replies
Advertisements
So I've read through the chdk compatability list probably a hundered times, and have been eagerly shopping for the past couple months for a chdk compatible camera.  But I'm wondering, what are the odds of getting a camera that is on the compatible list, but it having a different version of firmware that is not compatible?

What I mean is, say model x is compatible with firmware versions 1.00a and 1.01b . Is it most likely that those are the only two versions of firmware the camera has been produced with meaning the chances its compatible are very high?, Or is there likely like 5 other versions 1.00b, 1.00c, 1.00d, 1.01a, etc, and the chances of finding a compatible one are low?

The reason I ask is there have been at least 5 times I've found a camera I'd possibly want, but they are always like 50 miles away.  Not wanting to waste a trip, I ask the sellers if they can verify the firmware, and even give clear instructions how to do so with the ver.req file and button combo, but every single time they claim to not be tech saavy enough, or simply don't respond, so I think i've missed out on a few opportunities.  Trying to figure out my odds of success are to better judge if I want to drive out for the next one.

Offline c10ud

most likely, it won't work, firmwares are different for a reason. anyway, chdk pretty much covers every flavour if a camera is supported, so your chances to get a nonsupported firmware version for a supported model are really low still existing

Offline zeno

If it's a second-camera you're interested in, get the seller to email a photo taken with it. You can then use Acid http://www.zenoshrdlu.com/acid/acid.html to find out the firmware version yourself.
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

I think somebody should contact Canon, maybe they can explain wy cameras have other Firmware, but there is no Firmware update for other camera.

I can understand that maybe a change in number is due of Hardware change, but wy there are some Camera that have firmware 100d some 100f and there is no update for 100d available make only using of chdk much more harder.

I for example buy my Ixus 1000 on okt with 100d Firmware, asm1989 1 month later and 100f Firmware.what versions else are out i dont know.

I have a Canon only buy, because chdk run on it, without chdk i better buy a Casio FH 100, because this have a live Histogramm in shooting mode and you can define 2 keys for fast ev switch, or fast ISO switch.

so if canon release at least 1 time a firmware, when the camera is 6 months in production so all Camera can update to this newest version.and i think a good working chdk is a good selling argument for Canon.
Ixus 1000 HS

so your chances to get a nonsupported firmware version for a supported model are really low still existing

I would not count on that being true.  Murphy's law still holds here.

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

I think somebody should contact Canon, maybe they can explain wy cameras have other Firmware, but there is no Firmware update for other camera.

Sound like an interesting idea.  Let us know what they tell you ?

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Thanks for the help.  The suggestion zeno made is a great one, using Acid to extract the firmware info from a picture they e-mail me.  I'm going to start doing that from now on.  Hopefully the sellers are tech saavy enough to understand how to attach a photo to an e-mail.