Newby with Powershot SX30 IS--totally STUCK !! - page 2 - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

Newby with Powershot SX30 IS--totally STUCK !!

• 39 Replies
Re: Newby with Powershot SX30 IS--totally STUCK !!
« Reply #10 on: 18 / February / 2011, 08:41:49 »
Advertisements
HULLAND, sorry that didnt work for u...
 initially when i tried partitioning my card, my laptop didnt read the card at all.. so i bought a cheap USB card reader.... it started reading the card... to partition i downloaded free LINUX UBUNTU live CD image file (I had not tried sdminte.exe till then).... loaded that image file to CD... changed the book sequence in BIOS to allow boot from CD... put the cd in drive and BOOT... this loaded the linux UBUNTU... the program GPARTED or PARTITOIN (dont remember the exact name but something very similar) is included in it... just click on the tabs and ull find it... using that partitininig the card is VERY VERY EASY...
after this may be u can go to next step in usual way in windows (by rebooting without the linux CD)

ummm.....it may sound like a lot but it REALLY ISNT...

and if u have difficulty in usung HEX editor.. ill try to post the boot sector file (what was made for my card).. u can then directly load that file to ur small partition using HDHACKER... (I used this technique to make my other cards bootable instead of using hex editor everytime)

« Reply #11 on: 18 / February / 2011, 10:24:10 »
http://www.mediafire.com/?7ibbgi45dd67dtx
i have tried to upload the boot sector file at this link...(im kind of amature at this file sharing thing... i hope it works)...

« Reply #12 on: 18 / February / 2011, 10:30:17 »
hulland, i couldnt download that file (dont know what went wrong.). so posted it here (this one is fine)
http://www.filedropper.com/bootsectordrivegedited

« Reply #13 on: 18 / February / 2011, 10:47:38 »
Thanks for that--got it ! I think I will put my card back in the camera ( first time for days!) as I will have to shoot with the standard Canon software over weekend. Perhaps next week I will be fresh and spot something I am "mentally challenged" for. My biggest disappointment is that SDM doesn't give me the correct buttons to choose from. -  Thanks again for your help.

Offline philmoz

• Photos
« Reply #14 on: 18 / February / 2011, 15:28:24 »
Since the Beta 7 version you can create a dual partition card using CHDK in the camera.
Try this:

1. Format SD card in the camera to get one partition
2. Get the latest CHDK build and unpack DISKBOOT.BIN and PS.FI2 onto the card.
3. Manual boot CHDK from the SD card in the camera
4. Create card with two partitions (using the option in the Miscellaneous stuff --> Debug menu). After running this wait a few seconds then power off the camera.
5. Put SD card back in PC and format it (don't format in the camera). It should now format as a 2MB SD card.
6. Unpack the binaries listed above to the card again
7. Manual boot CHDK again in the camera and make the card bootable using the option under the 'Miscellaneous stuff' menu. Power off the camera.
8. Lock the card, boot CHDK from the card and Swap partitions (under the Miscellaneous stuff menu)
9. Unlock the card and put the card back in PC and format it again. You should now be formatting the larger partition (if it's still coming up as 2MB then try the swap partitions again).
10. Unpack the latest full CHDK build to the large SD partition
11. Lock the card, boot manually in the camera and Swap the partitions again.

Regards,
Phil
CHDK ports:
  sx30is (1.00c, 1.00h, 1.00l, 1.00n & 1.00p)
  g12 (1.00c, 1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  sx130is (1.01d & 1.01f)
  ixus310hs (1.00a & 1.01a)
  sx40hs (1.00d, 1.00g & 1.00i)
  g1x (1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  g5x (1.00c, 1.01a, 1.01b)
  g7x2 (1.01a, 1.01b, 1.10b)

« Reply #15 on: 18 / February / 2011, 15:47:19 »
Thanks philmoz, but I went that route a few days ago, and got to part 4-- CHDK won't make the two partitions. Nothing happens when I choose that option. If I highlight that command in the camera menu, then press "Set" nothing happens at all--that is why I am trying to do battle with SDM...unsuccessfully it seems the same problem again--no partitions created. Am beginning to wonder whether I should just forget all about CHDK and forget about RAW...

Offline philmoz

• Photos
« Reply #16 on: 18 / February / 2011, 16:08:00 »
Thanks philmoz, but I went that route a few days ago, and got to part 4-- CHDK won't make the two partitions. Nothing happens when I choose that option. If I highlight that command in the camera menu, then press "Set" nothing happens at all--that is why I am trying to do battle with SDM...unsuccessfully it seems the same problem again--no partitions created. Am beginning to wonder whether I should just forget all about CHDK and forget about RAW...

Are you talking about the 'Create card with two partitions' option or the 'Make card bootable' option?

You need to use both in the correct order (as explained in the previous instructions).

'Create card with two partitions' is under the 'Debug parameters' menu (in Miscellaneous stuff). It will warn you that all data on the card will be erased and give you 'yes/no' option, select yes to re-partition the card.

'Make card bootable' shows no confirmation dialog when it is finished which can be confusing.

(Cleaning up the menus and adding a confirmation dialog to 'Make card bootable' is on my todo list).

Regards,
Phil.
CHDK ports:
  sx130is (1.01d & 1.01f)

« Reply #17 on: 19 / February / 2011, 00:03:03 »
I think it formatted OK ( I have tried about 20 times this week and am getting confused - as well as terminally depressed!) All went fine until I chose the option " create two partitions" that was the command that seemed to do nothing. When I asked in this forum I was told that I MUST pre-create the two partitions using SDM ( or Linux / a Hex writer) since then everything I tried with the card reader just won't "take". I have been using CHDK for years on my old A 710 IS. so I understand the basics. It is getting the card reader / CHDK to actually act or react to the create two partitions that I am stuck at. Thanks for your concern.

Offline philmoz

• Photos
« Reply #18 on: 19 / February / 2011, 00:26:13 »
I think it formatted OK ( I have tried about 20 times this week and am getting confused - as well as terminally depressed!) All went fine until I chose the option " create two partitions" that was the command that seemed to do nothing. When I asked in this forum I was told that I MUST pre-create the two partitions using SDM ( or Linux / a Hex writer) since then everything I tried with the card reader just won't "take". I have been using CHDK for years on my old A 710 IS. so I understand the basics. It is getting the card reader / CHDK to actually act or react to the create two partitions that I am stuck at. Thanks for your concern.

First thing I would do is re-format the card in the camera and select the 'low level format' option in the format screen. This will ensure that any old partition information is removed.

When you select the 'Create card with two partitions' menu option do you get a dialog box warning you that this will destroy all information on the card and two buttons labelled yes and no (no is selected by default)?
You have to select the yes button in the dialog and and then press the 'Func/Set' button.

After you press Func/Set this will rewrite the partition table on the card to create a card with two partitions; but does not give any other indication. If you power the camera off and back on you should get a 'Memory card error' message because the new partitions aren't formatted.

When you place the card in you card reader you will not see two partitions on your PC as Windows will only recognise the first partition on an SD card; but if you now format the card it should only format as a 2MB card instead of the original size. If you format the card in the camera it will be reset back to a single large partition - you have to format it in a PC. After formatting it put it back in the camera and power on - you should now get an 'Insufficient space on card' error.

There is also a possibility that the card reader driver in your PC is overriding the partition table set in CHDK and forcing it back to a single large partition (I've seen one example of this before). In this case try using a different computer and card reader.

Regards,
Phil.
CHDK ports:
  sx130is (1.01d & 1.01f)

« Reply #19 on: 19 / February / 2011, 00:36:02 »
Thanks Phil, I will follow your recommendations carefully. However it is 06.30 am here and I have been on this project since 11.30pm Friday night. I hope you will excuse me when I say I need a break ( and sleep!). Kindly be patient and when I get up later Saturday, I will take a deep breath and follow carefully what you have just posted for me. Thanks for your help and patience.-Ian.