Canon A570 IS & RAW - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum

Canon A570 IS & RAW

• 22 Replies
Canon A570 IS & RAW
« on: 20 / February / 2011, 14:11:43 »
Advertisements
I followed the steps to enable raw in CHDK on a Canon A570 IS, but shots are still saved as jpg. Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

Offline reyalp

Re: Canon A570 IS & RAW
« Reply #1 on: 20 / February / 2011, 16:31:31 »
I followed the steps to enable raw in CHDK on a Canon A570 IS, but shots are still saved as jpg. Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?
Jpegs are always saved. If you enabled raw, they are saved as an additional file.

If you are trying to transfer the images over USB, the raws may not show up, depending on your choice of raw extension and prefix.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 20 / February / 2011, 18:34:37 »
If you are trying to transfer the images over USB, the raws may not show up, depending on your choice of raw extension and prefix.
The RAW files may be on your memory card but not visible if your connect your camera to your computer with a USB cable to download pictures to the PC.  You cannot see the RAW's unless you plug the SD card into an actual SD card reader on your PC.  And even then,  you will probably find them in a different folder than the jpg's.

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 20 / February / 2011, 19:42:50 »
The RAW files may be on your memory card but not visible if your connect your camera to your computer with a USB cable to download pictures to the PC.  You cannot see the RAW's unless you plug the SD card into an actual SD card reader on your PC.  And even then,  you will probably find them in a different folder than the jpg's.
This depends a lot on the camera and settings. That's why I kept my post vague ;)
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #4 on: 21 / February / 2011, 11:07:28 »
Given enough storage space is it a good idea to always use raw to have "digital negatives" in addition to jpg files that are also saved?

« Reply #5 on: 21 / February / 2011, 13:28:41 »
Given enough storage space is it a good idea to always use raw to have "digital negatives" in addition to jpg files that are also saved?
I guess it would not hurt to do so but saving RAW files is quite slow - which can be annoying in some shooting situations.  Also, Canon P&S cameras do quite a bit of processing and image correction before compressing an image to JPG so your "digital negatives" will need a lot of post processing work to look as good as the Canon created JPG files.

Offline PS

• A610 1.00f
« Reply #6 on: 21 / February / 2011, 15:19:41 »
Also, Canon P&S cameras do quite a bit of processing and image correction before compressing an image to JPG so your "digital negatives" will need a lot of post processing work to look as good as the Canon created JPG files.
Unless you consider processing and image correction as things that make JPGs look bad.

« Reply #7 on: 21 / February / 2011, 18:22:15 »
Unless you consider processing and image correction as things that make JPGs look bad.
I can see that some people might like to customize how their processing and image correction are done.  What I was trying to say is that unlike a dSLR, the RAW files are not really usable without some sort of processing to clean up distortions.  And CHDK RAW images have significantly less dymanic range (less bits per pixel essentially) than RAW images you get with a dSLR. Go ahead and have fun maximizing the quality of your pictures - just don't expect the same results from a $79 P&S that you get from a $1500 dSLR.

Offline PS

• A610 1.00f
« Reply #8 on: 22 / February / 2011, 00:43:19 »

« Reply #9 on: 22 / February / 2011, 08:16:42 »
You commit common fallacy by thinking that processing/manipulations improve quality.
So do you think that the RAW images produced by CHDK should be used unprocessed as that is the best "quality"?  Have you ever actually looked at any of those images ?  Maybe the A570 is unique but from what I have seen on my camera's RAW images and read about others here on the forum, there is significant barrel distortion in an unprocessed image.  How do those look to you when printed out at highest "quality" (i.e. unprocessed) and hanging on your wall ?

EDIT :  Bright and sunny day with 18" of fresh snow here so I went out and played with my camera.  As long as I was not using wide angle setttings (i.e. barrell distortion) then both my JPG and DNG pictures looked really good.  I think I can say the DNG's were slightly sharper and the contrast was better.  Reds looked better on the DNG's but the greens were a little better on the JPG's.  Of coarse this is when zooming into pictures on my 21" Samsung LCD monitor - not the greatest in the world - but at least the images were side-by-side using the Shotwell program.
« Last Edit: 22 / February / 2011, 18:09:19 by waterwingz »