supplierdeeply

interested in a 50D initial port of Magic Lantern ?

• 1148 Replies
  • Publish
    Re: interested in a 50D initial port of Magic Lantern ?
    « Reply #80 on: 02 / August / 2011, 15:15:56 »
    Advertisements
    It's not the sensor that tells you if a camera is capable of shooting videos, as far as i know.

• Publish
    « Reply #81 on: 04 / August / 2011, 20:10:43 »
    Is somebody working on this stuff? Is it true that those headers can mean video could be available?

• Publish
    « Reply #82 on: 06 / August / 2011, 19:03:46 »
    It's not the sensor that tells you if a camera is capable of shooting videos, as far as i know.

Not exactly because maybe there is a Digic IV CPU on board (HD video filming capable) but main problem is data transmition between sensor, RAM and CPU. If there is enough bandwidth it's fine but if data bus is too slow there will be no chance for using video feature in 50D body :(. Fortunately I think if body can shoot more than 6 fps in RAW+JPG mode it can suggest that when we use "just" 1080p it should be enough - just worrying about buffer size and UDMA transfer from the buffer - probably need some kind of super fast CF card. Anyway I think that even 720p will satisfy most users when there is no video feature at all.

I'm not a developer (last software I wrote was a computer virus in assembler on 386DX :-) 20 years ago) but photography and filming fan and using 50D body with some "L" bright lenses. I was also thinking about buying 60D - which is worst (in my opinion) than 50D except two things - 1) moving LCD and 2) video recording features. First we can't solve ;-) but second?... who knows :-)?
    Canon EOS 50D + EF-S 17-85 f/4-5,6 IS USM + EF-S 17-55 f/2,8 IS USM + EF 70-200 L f/2,8 IS II USM

Offline Coutts

• www.flickr.com/couttsphotog
      • Flickr
  • Publish
    « Reply #83 on: 08 / August / 2011, 22:26:45 »

Not exactly because maybe there is a Digic IV CPU on board (HD video filming capable) but main problem is data transmition between sensor, RAM and CPU. If there is enough bandwidth it's fine but if data bus is too slow there will be no chance for using video feature in 50D body :(. Fortunately I think if body can shoot more than 6 fps in RAW+JPG mode it can suggest that when we use "just" 1080p it should be enough - just worrying about buffer size and UDMA transfer from the buffer - probably need some kind of super fast CF card. Anyway I think that even 720p will satisfy most users when there is no video feature at all.

I'm not a developer (last software I wrote was a computer virus in assembler on 386DX :-) 20 years ago) but photography and filming fan and using 50D body with some "L" bright lenses. I was also thinking about buying 60D - which is worst (in my opinion) than 50D except two things - 1) moving LCD and 2) video recording features. First we can't solve ;-) but second?... who knows :-)?

all of the functionality for 1080p and 480p video are in the firmware, even the movie recording state object, all of the recording functions, even audio functions! someone should be brave and take apart their 50d, there may be everything there for a microphone that just needs to be connected to pre-existing wires ;)
    Canon 5d
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

• Publish
    « Reply #84 on: 09 / August / 2011, 03:00:50 »
    With some patience and attention you can look for some odd connectors etc here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvFMFb9JylQ&feature=related# - wonder how this looks sound devices/connectors look like in a 7D or 60D
    --
    But beside the point there is no stable 50D ML release yet- this should be our priority / Bad that i got exams until october  :(
    Thank you Coutts for sticking with the 50D!

« Last Edit: 09 / August / 2011, 03:04:55 by smeangol »

• Publish
    « Reply #85 on: 11 / August / 2011, 05:54:39 »

all of the functionality for 1080p and 480p video are in the firmware, even the movie recording state object, all of the recording functions, even audio functions! someone should be brave and take apart their 50d, there may be everything there for a microphone that just needs to be connected to pre-existing wires ;)

I'm pretty sure it is in firmware but we don't know specification of data bus which could be too slow. Of course I'm not sure that is but it could be. Only when someone run video on 50D it can give us an answer if data bus is fast enough to send so many information in short time.
    Canon EOS 50D + EF-S 17-85 f/4-5,6 IS USM + EF-S 17-55 f/2,8 IS USM + EF 70-200 L f/2,8 IS II USM

Offline a1ex

• ML dev
  • Publish
    « Reply #86 on: 12 / August / 2011, 01:45:05 »
    Here's a first attempt to include the 50D port in the unified ML branch:

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/changeset/cdff4042aa90

- upgraded to 1.0.8
    - everything compiles, but all tasks and property handlers are disabled (I prefer to enable them one by one)
    - it should print a "Hello world" message

If anyone wants to try, please let me know. You will have to enable the bootflag with the second FIR from Indy, under firmware 1.0.7:
    http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6161.msg62705#msg62705

and then upgrade to 1.0.8 to try my autoexec.

P.S. I have a FIR for 50D 108 too, but I prefer to try the autoexec first.
    « Last Edit: 12 / August / 2011, 02:26:29 by a1ex »

• Publish
    « Reply #87 on: 12 / August / 2011, 13:18:35 »
    Very nice! Another Question: If i use the "second 1.07 .fir file + autoexec to enable the bootflag  my camera "freezes" after updating an restarting - saying bootflag has been set - after removing the batterys after some seconds i am back to my normal 1.07 firmware .. did i "enable" anything or should i wait longer though it looks freezed ...
    thx!

Offline Coutts

• www.flickr.com/couttsphotog
      • Flickr
  • Publish
    « Reply #88 on: 12 / August / 2011, 14:12:48 »
    Very nice! Another Question: If i use the "second 1.07 .fir file + autoexec to enable the bootflag  my camera "freezes" after updating an restarting - saying bootflag has been set - after removing the batterys after some seconds i am back to my normal 1.07 firmware .. did i "enable" anything or should i wait longer though it looks freezed ...
    thx!
    All that .fir did was set the bootflag in the firmware, you should now be able to run the autoexec.bin file by placing it on your cf card and making the card bootable. When you turn your camera on it will run the autoexec.bin and you should see magic lantern running after that.
    Canon 5d
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

• Publish
    « Reply #89 on: 12 / August / 2011, 17:57:41 »
    k bootflag set - thx ..ready to try
    « Last Edit: 13 / August / 2011, 18:09:38 by smeangol »