acid sdm help - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

acid sdm help

• 7 Replies
acid sdm help
« on: 25 / February / 2011, 19:26:27 »
Advertisements
OK guys this is my problem, i know this sounds silly to you , but in tom martins tutorial how to download SDM, it says. unzip common files.DOWNLOAD TO A FOLDER,then unzip your camera specific SDM zip file to the same folder??? when i download the common files and the SDM zip file they both go to windows my documents download folder as zip files, and i have to unzip them, the bit i dont get is.( unzip them to the same folder), how do i do that?  i want to be able to open up the SDM installer file from the common files. now if i get acid to download and unzip the files for me dose it also download the common files,so i can use the SDM installer?  or can anyone tell me the best way to get SDM on the card after   acid.  i have read all there is to read (maybe to much ) but am still not sure how to download SDM. thanks.

Re: acid sdm help
« Reply #1 on: 25 / February / 2011, 20:02:10 »
unzip them to the same folder), how do i do that?

Hmmm  ... if you are using WinZip just right-click on the ZIPs and select 'Extract here'.
The ZIPs are already in the same folder (MyDocuments).
Then, with a card in your reader, double-click sdminst.exe.

[/quote]

Offline fvdk

• Ixus 70 1.01b / 1.02a & Powershot A590is 1.01b
    • My Flickr photo page
« Reply #2 on: 25 / February / 2011, 20:10:46 »
OK guys this is my problem, i know this sounds silly to you , but in tom martins tutorial how to download SDM, it says. unzip common files.DOWNLOAD TO A FOLDER,then unzip your camera specific SDM zip file to the same folder??? when i download the common files and the SDM zip file they both go to windows my documents download folder as zip files, and i have to unzip them, the bit i dont get is.( unzip them to the same folder), how do i do that?  i want to be able to open up the SDM installer file from the common files. now if i get acid to download and unzip the files for me dose it also download the common files,so i can use the SDM installer?  or can anyone tell me the best way to get SDM on the card after   acid.  i have read all there is to read (maybe to much ) but am still not sure how to download SDM. thanks.

Hi Nick,

OK, so after download, the two zip files are located in the "my documents" folder?

If so, there are different methods that you can use, depending on the type of zip program that you use. Here are two options:

Windows build in archive viewer will display the zip files as if they are a folder  and you can just copy/paste the files from the zip file to a location of your choice.

I use Winrar which added a few options to my right-click menu (extract files, extract here and extract to....)
If usually move the files to a new folder, for instance "SDM 1.85 A480" and than right-click on them and choose "extract here"

Frans

Offline zeno

« Reply #3 on: 26 / February / 2011, 07:08:40 »
If you use the latest version of ACID (1.04B) and ask for the common files to be downloaded too, ACID should unzip all the files and put them in the right folders. You should find SDMInst.exe in the same folder as DISKBOOT.BIN - all you need to do then is put a card in the card reader and double-click on SDMInst.exe. You should NOT need to unzip or unrar anything.

Earlier versions of ACID did not put SDMInst.exe in the right place.
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #4 on: 26 / February / 2011, 11:39:33 »
thanks guys, so acid does not download the common files SDMinst.exe. along with the DISKBOOT.BIN files then. that is what i wanted to know, ok how do i ask acid to download the common files as well.?      i am slowly getting there with help from you guys. it might not seem to confusing to you lads, but to a not to clever computer user it all seems like a lot of conflicting brain scrambling tutorials to me. im sure they are not, but the more i read the more confused i get. so thanks for sticking with this idiot, and with your help i WILL get SDM on my 480. god help you all if i ever do. ( more questions)

Offline zeno

« Reply #5 on: 26 / February / 2011, 18:23:37 »
To get Acid to download the common files as well as DISKBOOT.BIN, just click the "download SDM comm files" checkbox before clicking the "Download SDM button".

Dave
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #6 on: 27 / February / 2011, 19:52:51 »
thanks again guys, i will be using a 2g card, and in Mr martins tutorial using sdm instaler, there is no mention about ticking the make bootable box, i seem to recall seeing somewhere else that this needs to be done, so do i tick it or not? it also says if you want to format the card do i or don't i? the cards i will be using are new. my computer only has usb1 so will it take ages to format? that's all for now. thanks for any help.

Offline zeno

« Reply #7 on: 01 / March / 2011, 18:27:07 »
@twinshot

with a brandnew card you should (a) tick format, (b) tick make bootable and (c) copy at least DISKBOOT.BIN.

Once you've installed SDM or CHDK on a card, you  don't need to format or make bootable again, merely copy a new DISKBOOT.BIN if e.g. you change cameras.

Formatting takes a few seconds even with USB1.
A570, S100, Ixus 127