It's my A470 Death? - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

It's my A470 Death?

• 11 Replies
It's my A470 Death?
« on: 01 / March / 2011, 16:35:34 »
Advertisements
Hello!

I have an A470 Canon and i have downloaded CHDK since a little time (3 - 4 months) but yesterday i activated an option on CHDK that draw the borders of the objetive and suddenly freezes!!

Since that time my camera suddenly freezes and i must to remove the batteries , wait some time (10 minutes or more) and i can power on again.. but suddenly freezes again  :(

When my Camera freezes the LCD show the picture with some pixels strange

Is my dear A470 death ?  :-[

i have tried to remove the batteries and the CR1220 battery for a some time and still not works T-T
« Last Edit: 01 / March / 2011, 16:38:13 by rafuru »

Re: It's my A470 Death?
« Reply #1 on: 01 / March / 2011, 18:28:21 »
Hello and welcome .

Try deleting the CFG file.

Does that fix it ?

« Reply #2 on: 01 / March / 2011, 19:23:06 »
Nope, my camera wont power on.. without the SD Card :( .. and if starts .. it freezes suddenly :'(

« Reply #3 on: 01 / March / 2011, 19:43:51 »
Does the lens extend ?

Is there an error message.

Describe exactly what happens on start-up.

It is EXTREMELY unlikely that your camera stopped working just because you enabled edge overlay.

« Reply #4 on: 01 / March / 2011, 20:13:39 »
when i got start up, the lens extends, and i can view the display (like the camera it's working) but after certain time (some seconds) the image freezes and the display turns off ..

This happends with or without the SD Card :(

Offline SkyWalker9

• SX20 IS (fw 1.02b)
« Reply #5 on: 01 / March / 2011, 20:33:39 »
when i got start up, the lens extends, and i can view the display (like the camera it's working) but after certain time (some seconds) the image freezes and the display turns off ..

This happends with or without the SD Card :(
Let's determine if this is CHDK problem, non-CHDK problem or both. Try starting the camera with the SD Card unlocked and tell us what happens.

« Reply #6 on: 01 / March / 2011, 20:41:12 »
it starts i can take an photo and suddenly freezes and the camera turns off ...

It's not an CHDK problem, because i dont charge the firmware and still freezing, but this problem started since i activate the edge overlay option in CHDK, i used it and suddenly the camera was frozen ... i retired the batteries and i have started with this problem.

The camera was working perfectly until i has activated that option, i think is an overheat problem.. and i don't resposabilize to CHDK for this problem, i just want to know why this happended . On the documentation says that "is not a risk" install CHDK.

I love the firmware, but if we have a problem of overheating on one of your functions you may warning about use it :) ..

Offline SkyWalker9

• SX20 IS (fw 1.02b)
« Reply #7 on: 01 / March / 2011, 20:49:23 »

It's not an CHDK problem, because i dont charge the firmware and still freezing, but this problem started since i activate the edge overlay option in CHDK, i used it and suddenly the camera was frozen ... i retired the batteries and i have started with this problem.

The camera was working perfectly until i has activated that option, i think is an overheat problem.. and i don't resposabilize to CHDK for this problem, i just want to know why this happended . On the documentation says that "is not a risk" install CHDK.

I love the firmware, but if we have a problem of overheating on one of your functions you may warning about use it :) ..
I think we need to troubleshoot this just a little farther. From what you've described so far there could be a problem with the SD card. I'd recommend you try a different SD card if you have one available to see if you get the same results. It might be that the current SD card just needs to be reformatted and CHDK reinstalled.

« Reply #8 on: 01 / March / 2011, 20:58:26 »
No, the problem occurs with and without an SD Card inserted.. so the problem isn't the SD Card

Offline reyalp

« Reply #9 on: 02 / March / 2011, 00:10:53 »

The documentation should not say there is zero risk.
IMO, it is unlikely that this was caused by CHDK, it's more likely to be a coincidental hardware failure.

Edge overlay shouldn't cause overheating, and many people have used it without problems. Overheating shouldn't be fatal to the camera either, I would expect it to shut down (if detected by the firmware) or crash.

Don't forget what the H stands for.