SDM install problems urgent help - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum  

SDM install problems urgent help

• 26 Replies
SDM install problems urgent help
« on: 04 / March / 2011, 19:15:02 »
Advertisements
hi all i have used acid and downloaded the common files and the sdm files for my 480, i opened the install,but there is no box saying NEW INSTALL the card reader is showing, so i skipt the ist bit, as i didnt have the new install bit, and clicked format. and i chose yes for fat. then it asked for a name so i typed in left then pressed enter. and the format screen vanished. and i was back where i started with the installer box. why did it not say new install or change to the left right box after the format. why dose this only happen to me.and where do i go from here. HELP ASP. PLEASE. :(

Re: SDM install problems urgent help
« Reply #1 on: 04 / March / 2011, 19:32:37 »
You probably don't have DISKBOOT.BIN in the same  folder as where you unpacked Common_files.zip.

If you get really stuck just click button to make card bootable and drag DISKBOOT.BIN and CHDK folder (and its subfolders) onto the card.

I am referring to sdminst.exe for making the card bootable.
« Last Edit: 04 / March / 2011, 19:39:48 by Microfunguy »

« Reply #2 on: 05 / March / 2011, 14:03:15 »
thanks microfunguy, i thought acid put them in the same folder. i am now up and running, sort of, the usb remote works in the canon modes but not in the alt. there is a time-lapse icon in the bottom left on both screens, is that normal, and how do i get out of it,so i can use alt? when i manually push the shutter it takes a couple of pics , obvious time lapse. should this not work with the usb remote? i have read the sdm tutorial page but cant suss it out.thanks.

« Reply #3 on: 05 / March / 2011, 14:35:28 »
there is a time-lapse icon in the bottom left on both screens, is that normal

That is the current script.
There is always a script present, even if only the built-in one.

You do not 'get out' of scripts, you simply dont press the shutter button and run them.

should this not work with the usb remote?

That is one of the options :-

http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/sdm/tlapse.htm
http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/sdm/tlapse2.htm

Of course, for stereo the scripts will not be synchronised with the same precision as for still images.

« Reply #4 on: 05 / March / 2011, 15:00:06 »
i think i get it,so it is in time lapse at the moment, so i have to choose another script if i want to get out of it? to maybe fast shutter mode. or motion response  mode. i am loving it at the moment.is it poss to change the flash shutter speed which is 1-60 to a faster one in the canon one? sorry for all the questions.

« Reply #5 on: 05 / March / 2011, 15:46:43 »
Please read about basic features on the SDM website.

Are you using one camera or two ?

You can load any script you wish, see website.

You can override the shutter speed in Bracketing\Overrides menu.
For stereo, make sure one caqmera is set to Left and the other to Right in Stereo menu so that synch flash works.

« Reply #6 on: 07 / March / 2011, 07:56:14 »
thanks for the reply, i have read all on the SDM website, but i am still at a bit of a loss. i am using two cameras. i did change the override settings in the bracketing menu.i turned it off then increased from null to a higher speed. but nothing seemed to change, in either canon or alt mode,the shutter speed was still showing 1/60 so i reset it back to the original null. and turned the override back on. now i have a blue off icon on the display, i have tried all ,turning override on off, but the off icon is still showing. i dont know what i am doing wrong. most of the tutorials are for CHDK. and when i follow the instructions they do not seem to apply to my a480. thanks for any help.

« Reply #7 on: 07 / March / 2011, 19:46:19 »
nothing seemed to change, in either canon or alt mode

No, but when you look at the image in Playback mode you should see the overriden value.

the off icon is still showing.

That normally means an override is set (focus, shutter speed, aperture, ND maybe) but disabled.

In ALT mode briefly press SET.

(a longer press turns edge overlay on/off).

« Reply #8 on: 08 / March / 2011, 18:37:30 »
thanks for all your help ,i have now sorted the shutter speed override issue out, i still don't know how to find the built in scripts, i have found the files, but i cant see what they all do. can i change the aperture for my a480? as i don't think i have one. thanks.

« Reply #9 on: 08 / March / 2011, 18:43:23 »
If you have copied folder CHDK and its subfolders (from Common_files.zip) to your card, the scripts will be in the SCRIPTS folder.

In the Script menu there is an option for loading a script file.

You don't have an aperture.

You can use ND filter constant-exposure mode to force a higher shutter speed (force filter OUT in bright conditions) or lower speed (force filter in in low-light conditions).

The speed will normally alter by a factor of 8x.