Camera crash on startup - investigation. - page 6 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

Camera crash on startup - investigation.

• 112 Replies
Re: Camera crash on startup - investigation.
« Reply #50 on: 10 / April / 2011, 14:36:29 »
Advertisements
Reading this thread,  its not clear that there was a final conclusion about what to do about this problem ?
Did I miss something ?   Or are we all just "living with it"?

Philmoz open workaround should be used for any cameras where it improves things.

It didn't work for me so I am still experiencing crash on startup. That is 4 months after discovering those crash. Before December 2010, these crash never happened.
SX20 1.02d

Offline reyalp

« Reply #51 on: 10 / April / 2011, 15:32:58 »
It didn't work for me so I am still experiencing crash on startup. That is 4 months after discovering those crash. Before December 2010, these crash never happened.
And ?

Assuming philmoz diagnosis is correct (even if it is, it may not be the only cause of startup crashes) this is dependent on timing of things that are currently out of our control. Shuffling things around until it works on one particular combination of camera/card/number of files isn't going to be a solution.

A better solution would be to actually block our tasks or camera tasks so they don't run out of file handle slots.

It does seem to me that this really started showing up after we took out the bogus conf_change_script_file out of the file reader conf. I really don't see how that would do it, but maybe there's some kind of clue there...

I don't have any cameras that exhibit the problem, so there's not a whole lot I can do about it.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #52 on: 10 / April / 2011, 17:16:13 »
And ?

And? That's it for me. I can't explain more than that because I can't help with coding and such. I am not an expert on how to properly code CHDK so that is all I can tell you. Sorry. All I know is that these crash are irritating and that they are happening on my SX20.
SX20 1.02d

Offline philmoz

• Photos
« Reply #53 on: 10 / April / 2011, 18:43:23 »
And? That's it for me. I can't explain more than that because I can't help with coding and such. I am not an expert on how to properly code CHDK so that is all I can tell you. Sorry. All I know is that these crash are irritating and that they are happening on my SX20.

Sorry to hear that this is still a problem - I do understand your frustration. It's equally frustrating for the developers when we can't reproduce a problem as there can be many causes of things like this and trying to track them down can be very difficult.

I presume you've had no luck getting a romlog from the camera? That would be a huge step towards diagnosing the problem; but if you can't get it to work we'll have to try other things.

You say that this started in Dec last year, do you have an old version that does not have the problem?
If not, do you know what the last version was that did work (I can try and rebuild that from the source to test)?

Did you buy a new SD card around the time this started (a faster card or a large partitioned card will have changed the startup timing and may have exposed the problem that was not apparent before)?

Does it only crash if you start in playback mode or are you also getting crashes starting in record mode?
Does it depend on the number of images on the card (if the card is empty the problem I've fixed tends not to happen)?

When the camera does start, how much free memory is available? If this is a low memory problem then the EXMEM mod may help (f_m_b has this working on his sx20 with CHDK loaded into high memory which leaves all the low memory available for the firmware)? I can create a test build for you to try this option as well if you're willing.

My apologies for bombarding you with questions (which you may have already answered before); but I'm trying to get a solid picture of the situation to see if I can come up with a way forward.

Regards,
Phil.
CHDK ports:
  sx30is (1.00c, 1.00h, 1.00l, 1.00n & 1.00p)
  g12 (1.00c, 1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  sx130is (1.01d & 1.01f)
  ixus310hs (1.00a & 1.01a)
  sx40hs (1.00d, 1.00g & 1.00i)
  g1x (1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  g5x (1.00c, 1.01a, 1.01b)
  g7x2 (1.01a, 1.01b, 1.10b)

« Reply #54 on: 10 / April / 2011, 19:14:18 »
Hi Phil and thanks...

I have version 969 that work flawlessly. I cannot remember who did that version for me back in January but if I want my SX20 to be stable and never crash, thats the version I use.
Romlog doesnt work for me. I didnt buy a new SD card.It crash on playback and record mode. I have something like 199880 free memory. It happens with almost no image or just a few image on the card. Again, 969 work perfectly with no crash so maybe you can start from there and go up on the different versions. Thanks.
« Last Edit: 10 / April / 2011, 21:01:00 by wowsers51 »
SX20 1.02d

« Reply #55 on: 10 / April / 2011, 20:29:55 »
Hey all,

after much extensive use, the original change that bernd r had recommended (changing the msleep to a larger value)  thus just giving the camera few milliseconds more during boot fixed all my problems...all features work perfectly - all scripts are working great.

I am very sure that this was a good thing....but - philmoz
if you could :) I am very unsure of following the exmem steps and would love it if you coould find the numbers and code i need to enter to compile exmem stuff for my sx20 1.02D

that would be awesome....but just let me know if thats plausable :)
sx20is 1.02d

Offline philmoz

• Photos
« Reply #56 on: 11 / April / 2011, 05:53:48 »
Hey all,

after much extensive use, the original change that bernd r had recommended (changing the msleep to a larger value)  thus just giving the camera few milliseconds more during boot fixed all my problems...all features work perfectly - all scripts are working great.

I am very sure that this was a good thing....but - philmoz
if you could :) I am very unsure of following the exmem steps and would love it if you coould find the numbers and code i need to enter to compile exmem stuff for my sx20 1.02D

that would be awesome....but just let me know if thats plausable :)

Attached are replacement files for boot.c, makefile.inc and stubs_entry_2.s with the exmem changes (based on what f_m_b found for firmware 1.02b and my analysis of the 1.02d firmware these should be correct).

Put these files in platform/sx20/sub/102d.
Change the settings for OPT_EXMEM_ALLOC and OPT_CHDK_IN_EXMEM in your buildconf.inc to 1 and do a clean build.

If it works your load address (in show memory info) will be 39089e0 and you should have 3.8M free memory).

Let me know how it goes.

Phil.
CHDK ports:
  sx130is (1.01d & 1.01f)

Offline philmoz

• Photos
« Reply #57 on: 11 / April / 2011, 05:55:17 »
Hi Phil and thanks...

I have version 969 that work flawlessly. I cannot remember who did that version for me back in January but if I want my SX20 to be stable and never crash, thats the version I use.
Romlog doesnt work for me. I didnt buy a new SD card.It crash on playback and record mode. I have something like 199880 free memory. It happens with almost no image or just a few image on the card. Again, 969 work perfectly with no crash so maybe you can start from there and go up on the different versions. Thanks.

I'll get a copy of 969 from SVN and see if there have been any changes that might explain your symptoms.

Phil.
CHDK ports:
  sx130is (1.01d & 1.01f)

« Reply #58 on: 12 / April / 2011, 13:07:17 »
Hi Phil and thanks...

I'll get a copy of 969 from SVN and see if there have been any changes that might explain your symptoms.

Phil.

here are codelines add that cause the bootcrash

http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6045.0
Ixus 1000 HS

« Reply #59 on: 12 / April / 2011, 14:15:46 »
Hi Phil and thanks...

Phil.

here are codelines add that cause the bootcrash

http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6045.0

So, after reading that link, it seems that those crashes problems started around revision 972. No wonder that revision 969 works perfectly. But i would like to have the latest revision work perfectly also so i`ll just wait until some of you guys find the real cure for these pesky crash.
SX20 1.02d