Camera crash on startup - investigation. - page 7 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum  

Camera crash on startup - investigation.

• 112 Replies

Offline reyalp

Re: Camera crash on startup - investigation.
« Reply #60 on: 12 / April / 2011, 16:39:18 »
Advertisements
here are codelines add that cause the bootcrash

http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6045.0
Not really... That change may have affected how often the problem occurs (gee, I mentioned this earlier: http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6179.msg64584#msg64584 ) due to timing or something but it doesn't make any sense as a root cause.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline philmoz

• Photos
« Reply #61 on: 12 / April / 2011, 18:34:03 »

So, after reading that link, it seems that those crashes problems started around revision 972. No wonder that revision 969 works perfectly. But i would like to have the latest revision work perfectly also so i`ll just wait until some of you guys find the real cure for these pesky crash.

In that thread, the romlog error, symptoms and workaround (from Bernd R) for the S90 are consistent with the problem that my CAM_STARTUP_CRASH_FILE_OPEN_FIX patch fixes.

Based on what you've posted here it would appear that your problem is not the same as what is described in this thread and the one Bernd R linked to.

There are three things that seem to be consistent for the crashes that my patch fixes:
- random & intermittent, sometimes it will occur on almost every startup, then will disappear for days
- only happens when starting in playback mode, starting in record mode (using a long press of the on/off button) doesn't crash
- doesn't crash if there are no images on the SD card

If I understand your posts correctly you are getting:
- crashes all the time
- crashes when starting in record mode as well as playback mode
- crashes if the SD card has no images.

Is this summary correct? If so then diagnosing and fixing your specific problem may be very difficult. I'm happy to keep trying if you are willing to try out test builds.

Phil.

CHDK ports:
  sx30is (1.00c, 1.00h, 1.00l, 1.00n & 1.00p)
  g12 (1.00c, 1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  sx130is (1.01d & 1.01f)
  ixus310hs (1.00a & 1.01a)
  sx40hs (1.00d, 1.00g & 1.00i)
  g1x (1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  g5x (1.00c, 1.01a, 1.01b)
  g7x2 (1.01a, 1.01b, 1.10b)

« Reply #62 on: 12 / April / 2011, 19:23:37 »

So, after reading that link, it seems that those crashes problems started around revision 972. No wonder that revision 969 works perfectly. But i would like to have the latest revision work perfectly also so i`ll just wait until some of you guys find the real cure for these pesky crash.

In that thread, the romlog error, symptoms and workaround (from Bernd R) for the S90 are consistent with the problem that my CAM_STARTUP_CRASH_FILE_OPEN_FIX patch fixes.

Based on what you've posted here it would appear that your problem is not the same as what is described in this thread and the one Bernd R linked to.

There are three things that seem to be consistent for the crashes that my patch fixes:
- random & intermittent, sometimes it will occur on almost every startup, then will disappear for days
- only happens when starting in playback mode, starting in record mode (using a long press of the on/off button) doesn't crash
- doesn't crash if there are no images on the SD card

If I understand your posts correctly you are getting:
- crashes all the time
- crashes when starting in record mode as well as playback mode
- crashes if the SD card has no images.

Is this summary correct? If so then diagnosing and fixing your specific problem may be very difficult. I'm happy to keep trying if you are willing to try out test builds.

Phil.

I am willing to test that last build (1141) and see if it solve the crashes. With build 969 there is never ever a crash.

I am not getting crash all the time. Some days it will not crash while other days it can crash 2 or 3 times.

It used to be that starting in record mode and holding the on/off button for a long press that it would never crash doing it that way but lately it made no difference as it began crashing randomly doing it that way.

So do you suggest that I try  1141 or should I wait until you can find something else? In the meantime I can continue using 969 with no problem. Thanks.

***EDIT***
I admire your dedication to this cause. :D
« Last Edit: 12 / April / 2011, 19:26:10 by wowsers51 »
SX20 1.02d

Offline Lebeau

« Reply #63 on: 12 / April / 2011, 20:31:43 »
May be it's regardless but my A650is crash at startup yesterday with a personally-compile version of CHDK.
I removed bad pixel file and Hourra ! RAW and DNG was initially enabled :(

Offline reyalp

« Reply #64 on: 12 / April / 2011, 22:22:44 »
May be it's regardless but my A650is crash at startup yesterday with a personally-compile version of CHDK.
I removed bad pixel file and Hourra ! RAW and DNG was initially enabled :(
If removing badpixel fixes it, running out of memory is the most likely cause. See http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6050.0
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #65 on: 12 / April / 2011, 23:25:06 »
Hey all,

after much extensive use, the original change that bernd r had recommended (changing the msleep to a larger value)  thus just giving the camera few milliseconds more during boot fixed all my problems...all features work perfectly - all scripts are working great.

I am very sure that this was a good thing....but - philmoz
if you could :) I am very unsure of following the exmem steps and would love it if you coould find the numbers and code i need to enter to compile exmem stuff for my sx20 1.02D

that would be awesome....but just let me know if thats plausable :)

Attached are replacement files for boot.c, makefile.inc and stubs_entry_2.s with the exmem changes (based on what f_m_b found for firmware 1.02b and my analysis of the 1.02d firmware these should be correct).

Put these files in platform/sx20/sub/102d.
Change the settings for OPT_EXMEM_ALLOC and OPT_CHDK_IN_EXMEM in your buildconf.inc to 1 and do a clean build.

If it works your load address (in show memory info) will be 39089e0 and you should have 3.8M free memory).

Let me know how it goes.

Phil.

Thanks so much for all your help Philmoz!!!!

I finally got around to trying your fix - the '#define CAM_STARTUP_CRASH_FILE_OPEN_FIX 1 one,
and it compeletely elimated the boot crash my cam was having.
no more changing the msleep :)

you can add that to your original post of this thread that i have tested it for the sx20 and it works :)

also the exmem files you made for my sx20 1.02d worked perfectly, the memory free was right and the address was right.

it is stable and working great with superfine, raw, zebra, histogram, etc working great too.

one last favor to ask.....
could you bold the added code in those files for the exmem, re post them, so that I can use them as reference so I can enter the code into future builds of chdk.

Thanks so much!
« Last Edit: 12 / April / 2011, 23:30:27 by bdasmith »
sx20is 1.02d

Offline philmoz

• Photos
« Reply #66 on: 13 / April / 2011, 04:12:14 »

one last favor to ask.....
could you bold the added code in those files for the exmem, re post them, so that I can use them as reference so I can enter the code into future builds of chdk.

I've submitted a patch request to get the changes added to the main code base so you won't have to do it manually.

Phil.
CHDK ports:
  sx130is (1.01d & 1.01f)

« Reply #67 on: 15 / April / 2011, 17:05:25 »
Hey Phil,

I couldn't help myself and jumped right at build 1141 and couldn't be happier now. My SX20 didn't crashed once for the past 3 days now. I am one happy camper. :D I know this is maybe not what you wanted me to do...and maybe you would have preferred that I should have tried version 969 first so you could have pinpointed the error that occurred after that but like I said I had to try the latest build with your correction and I am now 99.9999% sure that you have solved my crah problem.

In about a week I will give you feedback if this still holds true but I am very confident that you have solved the problem.

Thanks a lot and bravo for your effort. ;)
SX20 1.02d

Offline philmoz

• Photos
« Reply #68 on: 15 / April / 2011, 17:22:55 »
Hey Phil,

I couldn't help myself and jumped right at build 1141 and couldn't be happier now. My SX20 didn't crashed once for the past 3 days now. I am one happy camper. :D I know this is maybe not what you wanted me to do...and maybe you would have preferred that I should have tried version 969 first so you could have pinpointed the error that occurred after that but like I said I had to try the latest build with your correction and I am now 99.9999% sure that you have solved my crah problem.

In about a week I will give you feedback if this still holds true but I am very confident that you have solved the problem.

Thanks a lot and bravo for your effort. ;)

No problem, glad it's working.
There may be a problem with video recording with the 1141 version I sent you.
I'm working with bdasmith to track this down.

The problem he is having is that video stops recording and shows the warning indicator on screen that it could not write the data.

If you also get this problem let me know.

Phil.
CHDK ports:
  sx130is (1.01d & 1.01f)

« Reply #69 on: 15 / April / 2011, 19:36:43 »
You were right Phil. Video recording doesn't work. Same problem as bdasmith:'(

I can live with that for a little while because I don't take videos everyday but I sure would like to have that feature working soon.

I will wait for you to get something out from this bug.  In the meantime, still no crash. Thanks.
« Last Edit: 15 / April / 2011, 19:38:17 by wowsers51 »
SX20 1.02d