Which is the most fast Shutter Speed of Canon using CHDK ? - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum  

Which is the most fast Shutter Speed of Canon using CHDK ?

• 9 Replies
Which is the most fast Shutter Speed of Canon using CHDK ?
« on: 06 / March / 2011, 17:10:13 »
Advertisements
I'read 1/40.000 maximun shutter speed.
I'm a hi-speed photograpehr, using generally only reflex, but CHDK sound great. I try to search on forum, for the faster model avaiable, but I see only 1/10.000 shuttre speed on many camera. Where I go wrong ?
Any help ? Thanks

Offline reyalp

Re: Which is the most fast Shutter Speed of Canon using CHDK ?
« Reply #1 on: 06 / March / 2011, 17:32:13 »
I'read 1/40.000 maximun shutter speed.
I'm a hi-speed photograpehr, using generally only reflex, but CHDK sound great. I try to search on forum, for the faster model avaiable, but I see only 1/10.000 shuttre speed on many camera. Where I go wrong ?
Any help ? Thanks
The exact limits are subject to debate. It's up to you to read what tests people based their conclusions on and decide whether you find those tests credible. Beware of any that involved a flash, because that just measures the flash speed ;)

Realistically, there are very few situations where you will be able to use this kind of shutter speeds on these cameras.

Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 06 / March / 2011, 17:47:39 »
there are very few situations where you will be able to use this kind of shutter speeds on these cameras.

The only one that I am aware of was posted here by a scientist who was recording fast, bright self-luminous plasmas.

Not many of them around ....

« Reply #3 on: 06 / March / 2011, 22:41:51 »
Why is this test being discounted?

Shutter Speed Test by Laser

From what I had read in the past on the plasma photos when looking for clearer answers myself, the researcher had only attained 1/8,000 to 1/10,000 second speeds because he wasn't aware of using smaller apertures to reach these 1/40,000 shutter speeds. It doesn't mean they don't exist, it only means that the method to reach them weren't well understood by everyone trying to use them.

I thought you knew all about these cameras and the software. Live and learn I guess.

« Reply #4 on: 07 / March / 2011, 11:27:18 »
I thought you knew all about these cameras and the software.

Obviously not as much as you do, young newbie.

Remember these ? :-

Some people aren't too bright, even if they are coders.

admin comment: one warning, do not write this kind of accusations.
(not referring to the above)

You're seriously going to take the advice of an idiot that doesn't even know the difference between camera power voltages and USB detect voltage?

The author doesn't know much about optics.
That page should be torn down and never referred to again.

« Last Edit: 07 / March / 2011, 18:02:37 by Microfunguy »

« Reply #5 on: 07 / March / 2011, 18:34:11 »
I like to takeshot of drops like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/luca-aka-zicco/sets/72157626076660989/

using the flash to 'freeze'. I read about CHDK possibility to shot at high speed, So I'll look on ebay to buy a camerea to ty. Which is best recomended for my shot ?
Thanks for help :haha

Offline reyalp

« Reply #6 on: 07 / March / 2011, 22:57:57 »
I like to takeshot of drops like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/luca-aka-zicco/sets/72157626076660989/
using the flash to 'freeze'.
If you use flash, you don't really need super fast shutter.

If you want to use extreme shutter speed, you'll need external lighting in most cases anyway, so you might as well do it with the flash.
I read about CHDK possibility to shot at high speed, So I'll look on ebay to buy a camerea to ty. Which is best recomended for my shot ?
Thanks for help :haha
It would very hard to say one is 'best'. Very few have been tested carefully, and even if there were comparable numbers for each camera, the fastest shutter speed isn't necessarily the best for your needs.  Water drops don't need 1/40000th even if some cameras can actually do that.

I would either just get a very cheap one to play with, or buy whatever one had the non-chdk features you like most (e.g. big zoom like S series, or pocketable like ixus etc.)

« Reply #7 on: 10 / March / 2011, 07:10:02 »
Thanks for Help. BTW I like g7, can be ok ? Because I like to transform to ir too, so I can have both on one body. I already mke the change on g1 and g2 (to IR) and It seem to be quite equal. I found a disasssembly of G7 ... It is the right joice ?
Thanks again :lol

Offline reyalp

« Reply #8 on: 12 / March / 2011, 18:05:06 »
Thanks for Help. BTW I like g7, can be ok ? Because I like to transform to ir too, so I can have both on one body. I already mke the change on g1 and g2 (to IR) and It seem to be quite equal. I found a disasssembly of G7 ... It is the right joice ?
Thanks again :lol
G7 has been supported in CHDK for a long time, and was a high end camera when new, so it seems like a decent choice.

edit:
It's always a good idea to have a look around the forum and wiki for a camera you are considering.
« Last Edit: 12 / March / 2011, 18:10:32 by reyalp »

« Reply #9 on: 14 / March / 2011, 20:58:05 »
You write decent choice, so maybe not best joice  :lol
I found even a g9 for the same price. So mybe 9 is better the 7  :-X

Or high model have hich shutter speed ?

BTW before buy the g9 I have to look if I can remove irblock to modify it to ir too.
Thanks for help and hints