chdkptp - alternative ptp client - page 98 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum  

chdkptp - alternative ptp client

• 1106 Replies
Re: chdkptp - alternative ptp client
« Reply #970 on: 21 / June / 2017, 22:50:32 »
Advertisements
Another thing I've considered is adding a way to watch arbitrary ranges of memory using in the chdkptp GUI.
Now that would be handy.  Even more so if it can trigger on a change of one or more addresses within the range.

It would also be relatively easy to implement a memory browser that gives you a hex-editor style window.
I think we'd be happy to see that too.  Hacking the DEBUG_PRINT_TO_LCD stuff at the end of core/main.c to watch memory gets old after a whie.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #971 on: 22 / June / 2017, 11:10:12 »
The thread you linked mentions using the DryOS console. This can be done using the physical UART or the patches in https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=11029.30 (I'm still slowly tinkering with getting that code into the trunk)

My use case is as follows. I wrote a module that freezes the camera (not as its primary objective). If I could step into the code, that would let me pinpoint the problem. The same module happens to run smoothly on a DryOS camera, so the DryOS console wouldn't be of much use here.
Author of CHIMP, Canon Hack Installation and Management Platform

« Reply #972 on: 22 / June / 2017, 14:02:53 »
I've got another idea (hopefully much easier to implement).

Uploading a build currently looks like this:
Code: [Select]
    chdkptp/trunk/run -c -e"mup $1/SDimage/DISKBOOT.BIN A/" -e"mup $1/SDimage/PS.FI2 A/" -e"mup $1/SDimage/CHDK/MODULES -fmatch=%.flt$ CHDK/MODULES" -e"mup $1/SDimage/CHDK/DATA -fmatch=%.txt$ CHDK/DATA" -e"mup $1/SDimage/CHDK/LUALIB -fmatch=%.lua$ CHDK/LUALIB"

What if the entire zip were uploaded at once (this could help)?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #973 on: 22 / June / 2017, 16:27:57 »
My use case is as follows. I wrote a module that freezes the camera (not as its primary objective). If I could step into the code, that would let me pinpoint the problem.
Right, I'm not questioning the value of a debugger, it would be great to have. The reality is that implementing a working debugger on the cameras would be Really Hard (IMHO), and PTP communication would be a relatively minor (though non-trivial) part.

My general approach to the kind thing you describe would be to use either LEDs (just blink when a particular point is reached, move) or logging. If the camera actually crashes, messages logged with LogCameraEvent will be included in the romlog. If it doesn't crash and PTP is still working, then you can use uart redirection and ShowCameraLog (possibly with chdkptp devutil). If you want more advice debugging the specific problem with your module, please post in it's own thread.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #974 on: 22 / June / 2017, 16:31:10 »
I've got another idea (hopefully much easier to implement).

Uploading a build currently looks like this:
    chdkptp/trunk/run -c -e"mup $1/SDimage/DISKBOOT.BIN A/" -e"mup $1/SDimage/PS.FI2 A/" -e"mup $1/SDimage/CHDK/MODULES -fmatch=%.flt$ CHDK/MODULES" -e"mup $1/SDimage/CHDK/DATA -fmatch=%.txt$ CHDK/DATA" -e"mup $1/SDimage/CHDK/LUALIB -fmatch=%.lua$ CHDK/LUALIB"

What if the entire zip were uploaded at once (this could help)?
I have thought about adding an "upload build' feature, but for now you can do something like
unzip <build zip> temp
chdkptp -c -e"mup temp A/"

« Reply #975 on: 22 / June / 2017, 20:56:25 »
I have thought about adding an "upload build' feature, but for now you can do something like
unzip <build zip> temp
chdkptp -c -e"mup temp A/"

I was thinking about a generic "upload zip" feature (e.g. no reboot is required if only modules are uploaded), but yes, that's the idea. The upload would be much faster that way.

« Reply #976 on: 31 / August / 2017, 11:18:45 »
Hi all.

Is it possible to modify "gui.lua" to be able to control touch-screen
models (such as IXUS 240 HS) with mouse clicking on UI Overlay screen?

Offline Sdack

« Reply #977 on: 09 / October / 2017, 21:54:36 »
Would some generous soul create, or point me to, a CHKD-PTP for Dummies Set up Guide?

EDIT : figured it out finally!

As a 'Dummy' with only minor unix skills, I struggled to follow the instructions for a Raspberry Pi install.  Got confused between the ready built binaries and the 'roll your own' versions.

I do think the instructions might be improved a little for people like me.. adding details of how to set environment variables, connect to another computer via network to exchange files and where to place the files in the system.

Thanks for your consideration
Nigel
Byron Bay
Australia (GMT +11)
« Last Edit: 10 / October / 2017, 01:16:10 by Sdack »

Offline Sdack

« Reply #978 on: 10 / October / 2017, 23:11:25 »
I just found a simple fix for the:

gphoto2 usb scan, stuffing up the switchability of the rec mode issue: uninstall gphoto

doesn't seem to affect the camera or chdkptp at all.

Please let me know if I'm losing something by doing this.  The other options either didn't work or worked sporadically.  ahull's suggestion of adding a kill to the gphoto daemon worked once but the next time I booted up and powered up the camera, the problem was back.

Cheers

N
PS. my camera is an IXUS160

Offline reyalp

« Reply #979 on: 10 / October / 2017, 23:43:03 »
gphoto2 usb scan, stuffing up the switchability of the rec mode issue: uninstall gphoto

doesn't seem to affect the camera or chdkptp at all.

Please let me know if I'm losing something by doing this.  The other options either didn't work or worked sporadically.
This may stop the camera from "auto mounting" as a folder or appearing the GUI, but this would be true with any of the solutions to the rec mode problem, because the auto-mounting causes the problem.

Other methods might allow you to gphoto applications manually while still disabling the auto-mount.
I do think the instructions might be improved a little for people like me.. adding details of how to set environment variables, connect to another computer via network to exchange files and where to place the files in the system.
If you point out specific parts of the documentation that are incorrect on confusing, I'm happy to try to improve them, but IMO general pi / linux usage not specific to chdkptp is better documented elsewhere.