chdkptp - alternative ptp client - page 20 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum  

chdkptp - alternative ptp client

• 1106 Replies

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
Re: alternative ptp client
« Reply #190 on: 02 / July / 2012, 16:39:54 »
Advertisements
Am I missing something

A stupid question, did you  pushed the connect button?

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

Offline dvip

« Reply #191 on: 02 / July / 2012, 17:52:13 »
Hi guys,
I re-installed libusb + a reboot  (no needed but did it anyway). And that did it!

I like chdkptp's clean to the point compact UI.
Love the "Live" tab! :) Any way to use my A590IS as a webcam now?

Great job reyalp!

Offline reyalp

« Reply #192 on: 02 / July / 2012, 23:35:49 »
Love the "Live" tab! :) Any way to use my A590IS as a webcam now?
There are some programs that let you use any window or area of a screen as a web cam. See this post
http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=5691.msg75779#msg75779

I got SCFH-DSF at least partially working, but it just crashed skype when I tried to use it. I didn't try any other software.

If someone knows a of a free library that lets you feed a stream of images into a virtual webcam device under windows, please let me know. I guess the SCFH-DSF code could be hacked to do this.

It looks like video4linux has some loopback drivers, so doing this on linux might actually be easier.

Or you could just go out and buy a $20 webcam with much higher resolution* ;) That said, being able to feed the live view to standard streaming software could have some interesting applications.

* and much crummier optics.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline dvip

« Reply #193 on: 03 / July / 2012, 00:13:17 »
>Or you could just go out and buy a $20 webcam with much higher resolution

Yep, they're cheap now.

I don't want to burn out my A590's CCD  :)

Offline reyalp

« Reply #194 on: 04 / July / 2012, 02:22:42 »
A follow up on the memory issue. I did another test with a borrowed camera that had free_block_max_size=328k  . It began downloading ~300 photos but aborted after saving ~160 photos. I didn't catch any error message. Could it also be due to low memory? Or are there any other known issues with the mdl command in chdkptp? Again, ptpCamGui.exe could downloaded all the images so I think it is an issue with chdkptp.
This is probably fixed in trunk 1950 /  release 1951

edit:
On further reflection, this is probably not true since the memory leak only affected PC->Camera messages, which are not really used in the download process.
« Last Edit: 04 / July / 2012, 16:22:13 by reyalp »

« Reply #195 on: 04 / July / 2012, 16:16:50 »
I just d/l'd chdkptp-r248-win32
to control my SD1100IS running the latest CHDK
and it gave me a message stating:
WARNING: camera live view protocol not supported by this client, live view disabled.

Is that specific to my camera,or for all cameras under the windows version of the s/w?  or am I doing something wrong.?  Is there a different s/w that woudl give live view and remote shutter release for multiple cameras?

thx

Here 's the error message I get:

update mode dropdown nil
error: a script is already runningupdate mode dropdown nil
WARNING: camera live view protocol not supported by this client, live view disabledERROR: a script is already running
ERROR: a script is already running
update mode dropdown nil
error: a script is already runningupdate mode dropdown nil
WARNING: camera live view protocol not supported by this client, live view disabledERROR: a script is already running
update mode dropdown nil
branchopen_cb 0populate branch 0 A/ERROR: a script is already running
« Last Edit: 04 / July / 2012, 16:18:44 by cgott4242 »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #196 on: 04 / July / 2012, 16:26:52 »
WARNING: camera live view protocol not supported by this client, live view disabled.
In order to use the live view extension, you need to run the unstable trunk version of chdk, from here: http://mighty-hoernsche.de/trunk/
Is there a different s/w that woudl give live view and remote shutter release for multiple cameras?
The GUI currently only supports controlling one camera at a time. The underlying API does support multiple simultaneous connections.

There are currently no other clients that support the live view protocol.

« Reply #197 on: 04 / July / 2012, 17:03:32 »
where woudl I find the non-gui version
I could use that for the dual cam live view
and then use USB trigger(s) to snap photos?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #198 on: 04 / July / 2012, 17:16:13 »
where woudl I find the non-gui version
There is no separate non-gui version, if you start chdkptp with -c (or any command line option other than -g) it starts in command line mode. I suggest you read http://trac.assembla.com/chdkptp/browser/trunk/USAGE.TXT

However, as I said multiple cameras are currently only supported in the API. That means you'll need some Lua code to control them. There is a module called multicam included with chdkptp, which provides some functions for this, but it's quite experimental and unfinished.
I could use that for the dual cam live view
I don't understand how you expect to do live view without a GUI ? You can retrieve the data using the lua API, but you'd need to write code to display it. You could use the cameras hardware video out and video grabber I guess...

As an alternative, if you don't need the shots to happen at exactly the same time, you could run two instances of the gui. To do this you'll need connect in way that specifies each camera without having to establish a connection. This can be problematic if they are the same model. See the "connect" command in the above linked USAGE.TXT. The best way to do this is probably to open one instance, use the list command to get the dev/bus IDs and then connect using those. Connecting by name or serial number will not work, because you must establish a connection to get those, and that will disrupt the other instance.

« Reply #199 on: 05 / July / 2012, 00:10:08 »
In order to use the live view extension, you need to run the unstable trunk version of chdk, from here: http://mighty-hoernsche.de/trunk/

Thanks, I d/l'd the unstable trunk version of chdk that you referenced.  Now the program works (e.g. shutter release, etc).  However it still gives the same error message that the live view is not supported.
thx