PowerShot SX220 HS - Porting Thread - page 34 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

PowerShot SX220 HS - Porting Thread

• 563 Replies
Re: PowerShot SX220 HS - Porting Thread
« Reply #330 on: 03 / August / 2011, 06:35:42 »
Advertisements
I downloaded a clean version and found no problems. The only thing I can think of is that after the startup in playback mode and pressing the playback button once again the camera shuts down. This is normal even without chdk. To go in record mode from playback mode press the red rec button or the shoot button. You can start the camera directly in record mode by holding the on/off button.

Yes, that's it. It's not a crash, its a shutdown. When having CHDK installed the power button seems to be no longer a power button but a playback button for startup. It has now the same behaviour as powering on the camera by using the playback button.

Is there any setting to change this? To start in record mode like having no CHDK installed?

Offline funnel

« Reply #331 on: 03 / August / 2011, 06:44:27 »
That's chdk standard behaviour and it's not customizable.

Offline philmoz

• Photos
« Reply #332 on: 03 / August / 2011, 06:50:35 »
Yes, that's it. It's not a crash, its a shutdown. When having CHDK installed the power button seems to be no longer a power button but a playback button for startup. It has now the same behaviour as powering on the camera by using the playback button.

Is there any setting to change this? To start in record mode like having no CHDK installed?

Just hold down the top power button for a bit longer and CHDK should start in record mode. You get used to it pretty quickly.

It works this way because both buttons trigger the camera to start and the firmware checks which one was pressed - the top one to start in record mode, the rear on to start in playback mode.

When CHDK starts it take a bit longer to get the camera booted up - so by the time you get to the code that checks which button was pressed you've let it go. So the camera defaults to playback mode.

Defaulting to playback mode is safer than starting in record mode - if the button gets pressed while in a case it won't try and extend the lens which could damage the camera.

Phil.
CHDK ports:
  sx30is (1.00c, 1.00h, 1.00l, 1.00n & 1.00p)
  g12 (1.00c, 1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  sx130is (1.01d & 1.01f)
  ixus310hs (1.00a & 1.01a)
  sx40hs (1.00d, 1.00g & 1.00i)
  g1x (1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  g5x (1.00c, 1.01a, 1.01b)
  g7x2 (1.01a, 1.01b, 1.10b)

« Reply #333 on: 03 / August / 2011, 07:35:16 »
Yes, you are right, safety first ;-)

Thank you both for your help!!!

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
« Reply #334 on: 03 / August / 2011, 08:03:17 »
Hi funnel,

your porting of the SX220 works fine.

I noticed some things:

In platform_camera.h are #define CAM_MULTIPART (you removed multipartition part) and #define CAM_BRACKETING (camera has no native bracketing mode) unnecessary, maybe also #define CAM_CAN_UNLOCK_OPTICAL_ZOOM_IN_VIDEO and #define CAM_AF_SCAN_DURING_VIDEO_RECORD.

The ALT mode switching with DISP+SET is a litte pain. I use the alternative ALT mode button 'playback'. But why is this button defined as 'video'? Maybe it was better using the playback button as default ALT button.

Two capture modes (high speed burst & best image selection) use the continuous capturing. These modes should be excluded for 'bracketing in continuous mode' function. Maybe this is not only a SX220 problem. Then a generic solution would be better.

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

Offline funnel

« Reply #335 on: 03 / August / 2011, 09:24:20 »

In platform_camera.h are #define CAM_MULTIPART (you removed multipartition part)
You're right, I forgot to remove that.

and #define CAM_BRACKETING (camera has no native bracketing mode) unnecessary,
True, I'll remove that too, it's a leftover from the reference port I used.

maybe also #define CAM_CAN_UNLOCK_OPTICAL_ZOOM_IN_VIDEO
This one calls _UnsetZoomForMovie. I think it's not needed because the camera natively supports zooming in video.

and #define CAM_AF_SCAN_DURING_VIDEO_RECORD.
I removed that because the camera crashes when zooming after calling _MakeAfScan. I found that _DoAflock acts in a similar way but also crashes when I set the camera to manual focus and try to zoom. To avoid trouble I just removed it. Maybe we can find a solution for this later.

The ALT mode switching with DISP+SET is a litte pain. I use the alternative ALT mode button 'playback'. But why is this button defined as 'video'? Maybe it was better using the playback button as default ALT button.
Yes, I have plans to change that and move it as the REC button and add a new PLAYBACK button to keyboard.h. I was waiting to see if the patch for shoot_full_only will be applied first to not screw up that work.

Two capture modes (high speed burst & best image selection) use the continuous capturing. These modes should be excluded for 'bracketing in continuous mode' function. Maybe this is not only a SX220 problem. Then a generic solution would be better.
I like the bracketing on high speed burst. I find it useful for ultra fast HDR bracketing. I don't think that can cause problems.

I agree for the best image selection, should be removed.

Offline msl

• CHDK-DE links
« Reply #336 on: 03 / August / 2011, 16:10:52 »
I like the bracketing on high speed burst. I find it useful for ultra fast HDR bracketing. I don't think that can cause problems

Yes, you're right. It's a nice feature. Thanks for your feedback.

msl

Offline funnel

« Reply #337 on: 04 / August / 2011, 07:56:28 »
Made another av test for Microfunguy. I hope this time I got it right. I used the attached script that adds 32 to av96 and substracts 32 from tv96 for each shoot. I uploaded just the 1EV av difference shoots, the last one is 2/3EV difference.

http://www.box.net/shared/vnqpln9jdy5ivsb9v70j

Offline Tiz

« Reply #338 on: 07 / August / 2011, 15:55:10 »
I updated to the latest build (using the auto server). Now, I have a problem. I cannot find "swap partition" anymore. Moreover, the entry "make card bootable" does not seem to work anymore. The camera does not seem to recognize my second, large partition (with the images) but only the small boot partition.

Any ideas how to fix the camera? Thanks.

Offline msl

• CHDK-DE links
« Reply #339 on: 07 / August / 2011, 17:10:14 »
I updated to the latest build (using the auto server). Now, I have a problem. I cannot find "swap partition" anymore. Moreover, the entry "make card bootable" does not seem to work anymore. The camera does not seem to recognize my second, large partition (with the images) but only the small boot partition.

Any ideas how to fix the camera? Thanks.

Newer cameras can boot from FAT32 partitions. This feature is now included for the SX220. You don't need anymore 2 partitions for bigger cards.

See also here: http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6241.msg71293#msg71293

msl