PowerShot SX220 HS - Porting Thread - page 51 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

PowerShot SX220 HS - Porting Thread

• 563 Replies

Offline funnel

Re: PowerShot SX220 HS - Porting Thread
« Reply #500 on: 13 / April / 2012, 05:58:21 »
Advertisements
Yes please, a video would be useful. Does the "Busy" message appear on screen between shots?

« Reply #501 on: 13 / April / 2012, 20:29:50 »
No Busy message, just a two digit number in the top right corner. I initially thought it is the SD card, but with very fast card (Extreme Pro) it is still slow. Then I just pull out the card and unlock it (so CHDK does not start), put the card back and continuous mode is very fast. So it must be something in the CHDK code that slows it down.

« Reply #502 on: 13 / April / 2012, 22:09:01 »
Here is the video

http://youtu.be/u-Ry63oab4Y

I have to correct myself, as I do see Busy message, not sure if this is a clue to what's going on.

Offline funnel

« Reply #503 on: 14 / April / 2012, 04:15:23 »
This is a memory problem. If you really want it to work you would have to compile yourself a version of chdk without chdk in exmem. But this will bring you other memory issues somewhere else. The camera has a limited amout of internal memory to work with and we can't do anything about that.

« Reply #504 on: 14 / April / 2012, 09:47:20 »
This is a memory problem. If you really want it to work you would have to compile yourself a version of chdk without chdk in exmem. But this will bring you other memory issues somewhere else. The camera has a limited amout of internal memory to work with and we can't do anything about that.
I think that means that even with CHDK disabled, if he had help down the shutter button longer it would have eventually slowed down.   At some point the camera must run out of memory and the shooting rate would have to slow down until  the camera frees up some memory by writing pictures to SD card ?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline funnel

« Reply #505 on: 14 / April / 2012, 11:28:48 »
The jpeg buffer starts at 0x476AA600. When chdk not in exmem the camera can use almost the the entire buffer up to 0x47FFFFFF, which is a total of 9,787,903 bytes which equals to about 3 or 4 jpegs.

When chdk in exmem it is placed at 0x478e67e0 which makes the jpeg buffer only 2,343,392 bytes big and slows down the continuous shooting and also makes the jpeg quality override not work.

A faster SD card helps, that's why I didn't even notice that until now.

« Reply #506 on: 14 / April / 2012, 13:28:10 »

Would it be possible for you to create such a build and PM me the link? I really don't know how to do this. Continuous mode is really important for me. I don't use any other CHDK features on this camera,  except for USB remote, so it would be possible to remove some functionality that eats a lot of memory.

As for the SD card, I am using SanDisk Extreme Pro, rated at 45MB/s. Without CHDK it never slows down, I can keep shooting for a minute or two with no problem.

I want to use this camera on RC helicopter and it would be a shame if I'd have to come up with a mechanical solution to trigger the camera. 

Offline funnel

« Reply #507 on: 14 / April / 2012, 13:49:31 »

« Reply #508 on: 14 / April / 2012, 14:20:34 »
Man, you are awesome!!! Downloaded the software and it works, my camera is no longer lethargic. Thank you very much for all your help!

« Reply #509 on: 15 / April / 2012, 01:34:59 »
Is it possible to use bracketing in continuous mode with enabled RAW?
For example, I want to press shutter once to obtain 3 RAW files with Ev =+1/-1/0.