RAW Pic Size - RAW Shooting and Processing - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

RAW Pic Size

• 5 Replies
RAW Pic Size
« on: 30 / March / 2011, 16:18:14 »
Advertisements
Hi,

I've just started trying to shoot in raw and am not having much luck.

Firstly, when I look at the images in Zoombrowser, every image comes up as 196x28 pixels.

Secondly, the images, taken with a flash, are extremely under exposed. However, the jpg versions of the same pics are full size, and exposed correctly.

I've tried searching for answers, but I'm lost at this point.

Any help much appreciated.

Re: RAW Pic Size
« Reply #1 on: 30 / March / 2011, 16:20:26 »
One more thing I forgot to mention, the 128x96 raw version of the pics are shown to be approx. 9 Meg in file size, which only adds to my confusion.

Offline Lebeau

« Reply #2 on: 30 / March / 2011, 17:13:47 »
Bonjour Incubus,

You are shooting in RAW but are you capturing in DNG or in plain raw?

In plain raw, the raw file contains the sensor data and the size depends on your sensor size and resolution only.

ZoomBrowser could show a thumbnail of this plain raw data.

Specifying your cam model could be more helpfull!

« Reply #3 on: 30 / March / 2011, 17:47:17 »
Some shots are DNG, some are CR2.

I managed to see the pics correctly by converting them with DNG4PS-2 and then loading the pics into IRFANVIEW.

When I convert the pictures using DNG4PS-2, I've got the jpg version of thie pic in the same directory as the CR2 picture and then the converted pic ends up as a DNG file. This is what I then see in IRFANVIEW.

When I do a direct comparison between the jpg, and the now converted picture, I'm not seeing any difference at all.

If however I dont have the jpg in the same folder as the CR2 when I convert, the resulting DNG pictures colors look different to the jpg......actually, the jpg looks a little better.

I'm still doing something wrong, but I don't know what.

BTW, my camera is the powershot A560.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #4 on: 30 / March / 2011, 17:50:37 »
If however I dont have the jpg in the same folder as the CR2 when I convert, the resulting DNG pictures colors look different to the jpg......actually, the jpg looks a little better.

No, nothing wrong, this is normal. DNG4PS2 uses the jpeg for metadata. If it's not there, then it has no idea about camera white balance, for example.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #5 on: 31 / March / 2011, 02:48:14 »
The only thing that is wrong - is your misunderstanding what RAW is.
This is NOT final image, RAW files NEED to be developed and converted to raster images like JPEG which will look the same in all viewers.
When you try to view RAW in some viewers that allow this - they develop RAW using some builtin defaults, which very often far from best settings and different in all viewers, so image will look differently.
If you don't want to edit your images - it's better to shoot JPEG, its good enough.
Talking about WB: shoot in DNG and white balance will be there, or convert with companion JPG file present.
In all other cases white balance is unknown and you will need to set it manually in RAW converter (even if WB is present, its sometimes needs adjustments).