Canon G11 Mac Iphoto - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

Canon G11 Mac Iphoto

• 5 Replies
Canon G11 Mac Iphoto
« on: 03 / April / 2011, 03:45:33 »
Advertisements
Hello i have a problem
I have a Canon G11 with "CHDK G11-100k-0.9.9-1018-full_BETA" on a SD card SanDisk 8Gb with 2 partition FAT12 (FAT32 with CHDK) i use MacOsx Snow Leo.

I want to tranfer my photos, but my Mac (Iphoto and other application) don't see the G11 when the SD card is locked, and when the SD is unlocked my Application see the G11 but only the FAT12 partition without photos inside because myG11 save the pictures on the MS-DOS (FAT32) partition.

If put my SD directly on my MacBook Pro i see every partition of my SD card, with locked and unlocked SD.
But I don't want to insert the SD every time, why the G11 save my pictures on the FAT32 invisible partition? from CHDK i can change the partition destination where G11 save my shot?

Another question
how to completely disable CHDK, when i don't need it? because when chdk is disable, always remain info on-screen like, raw percent battery etc.

Thanks

Offline zeno

Re: Canon G11 Mac Iphoto
« Reply #1 on: 03 / April / 2011, 06:50:28 »
The FAT12/FAT16 partition can't be larger than 4MB, so if CHDK put the pictures there, you would waste half the card. One of the big advantages of a Mac (over Windows) is that if you use a card reader you can see both partitions and never need to do any switching.

It's easy to disable CHDK - simply unlock the card and it won't start.
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #2 on: 03 / April / 2011, 07:22:13 »
The FAT12/FAT16 partition can't be larger than 4MB, so if CHDK put the pictures there, you would waste half the card. One of the big advantages of a Mac (over Windows) is that if you use a card reader you can see both partitions and never need to do any switching.

It's easy to disable CHDK - simply unlock the card and it won't start.

Tnx, yes i know 4mb is not sufficient, i don't want use the fat12 partition, and yes i know macbook have this advantage, but the G11 is not mine "otherwise I would not have posed the problem" i want my dad Mac app. recognize the CHDK partition, coz i can't use every time my Mac for my dad G11

« Reply #3 on: 05 / April / 2011, 04:46:15 »
I will try again:
Someone can tell me why my Mac can't see the partition (FAT32) with CHDK and pictures? when the G11 is directly connected from USB?
Plz don't tell me to use a card reader, i want connect my G11 to my Mac USB port and get my pictures with Iphoto.

if it is a problem of the partition, how do I reformat the card, to use CHDK, and can also use iPhoto?

Thanks

Offline reyalp

« Reply #4 on: 05 / April / 2011, 12:28:19 »
I will try again:
Someone can tell me why my Mac can't see the partition (FAT32) with CHDK and pictures? when the G11 is directly connected from USB?
The USB connection is PTP, it's not a filesystem and doesn't have any concept of partitions. What is shown over USB will be the same as what the camera sees: If the large partition is what the camera saves photos onto, then that's what will be shown. Note that there are issues listing/transferring raw and DNG files over PTP, which are completely unrelated to partition size.

The only way you could end up not seeing the right partition is if you were loading CHDK to shoot, and then not loading it when you connected the USB.

edit: Reading your post above, it sounds like this is what you are doing by locking/unlocking your card. Solution: Don't do that.

CHDK hides the lock status, so whatever your problem is seeing photos over USB when CHDK is running, that isn't it.
Plz don't tell me to use a card reader, i want connect my G11 to my Mac USB port and get my pictures with Iphoto.
Tough. I'd suggest using card reader, especially given that you are using an OS that actually supports multipartition cards.
« Last Edit: 05 / April / 2011, 12:30:42 by reyalp »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #5 on: 05 / April / 2011, 12:51:51 »
2 user write me something i already know, but no one give me a real answer about my problem
i say thanks to both, but, i still have the same problem.

So why two different Mac can't recognize the G11 when it is connected? someone with G11 and Mac have the same problem? and, where is the problem?

Yesterday i reset the partition and the G11 work fine, and recognize by IPhoto so i try again to put CHDK after that, same problem the partition with CHDK and the pictures does not appear when i connect via USB, but only when the card is insert into the card reader.