Why is there a 3-second delay after taking a photo with remote mode? - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Why is there a 3-second delay after taking a photo with remote mode?

• 4 Replies
Advertisements
Hi all :)

I'm setting up my S95 for use as an aerial photography camera onboard a multi-rotored helicopter, using CHDK to trigger the camera to take the photo. However, I'm a little disappointed that it seems to take the camera at least 4 seconds to process a photo once it's taken, before it takes me back to record mode. If I do the same thing using a normal SD card, it returns me to record mode after about a second. This is with the review mode set to 0 seconds, in both cases. Also, this happens for both JPEG and RAW images.

Is there anything I can do to reduce this delay? It's a real shame, as otherwise I'm thrilled at the neatness of using CHDK to trigger the camera to take the photos!

Any advice is most gratefully received. Thanks :)

David

Edit: I've just done some more experimenting and even when I'm not in CHDK mode (so I have standard menu access), there's still a 4 second delay (with a black screen, and a solid green status LED on the back) before I'm returned to the record screen.  :blink:

I would imagine solving this problem would also solve my continuous-shooting problem ... ie, it doesn't work! With a normal SD card, the camera can take RAW photos at 1 photo per second, and JPEG photos at about 2 photos per second. With a CHDK-enabled card in, there's a 5 second delay between consecutive photos, and in fact, the camera completely seizes up after the second photo and it has to be rebooted!  :( Does anyone have an idea as to what might be going on here? Many thanks!
« Last Edit: 06 / April / 2011, 17:09:15 by Hogster »

Offline fudgey

• a570is
Re: Why is there a 3-second delay after taking a photo with remote mode?
« Reply #1 on: 06 / April / 2011, 17:09:54 »
Sounds like flashlight recharge delay...

« Reply #2 on: 06 / April / 2011, 17:22:06 »
Hi fudgey, thanks for your reply.

By flashlight, do you mean the built-in flash? If so, I am taking photos without flash :(

Just to clarify, as soon as the shutter 'click' is heard, the screen stays black for 4 seconds with the green status LED solidly on, before it returns me to the record screen.

Thanks for your input :)

David

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #3 on: 06 / April / 2011, 17:51:30 »
Hmm... after re-reading your initial post, I'm guessing "not in CHDK mode" doesn't mean without CHDK after all? In that case, you probably have RAW or DNG saving enabled (in which case the same led that CHDK blinks when it boots up should be shining while writing -- on my a570 it's blue, not green). There's a shortcut to enable/disable RAW/DNG and it's rather easy to hit accidentally.

Or photo review from Canon's menus (but you really should be seeing the photo instead of just black if that's the case)?

« Reply #4 on: 06 / April / 2011, 17:59:33 »
You've hit the nail on the head! :D The 'Save RAW' checkbox was checked. I've unchecked it and it's as if I'm using an ordinary SD card! Even continuous mode works now!

Thanks so much!

David  8)