Canon PowerShot A1200 - page 13 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Canon PowerShot A1200

• 137 Replies

Offline nafraf

Re: Canon PowerShot A1200
« Reply #120 on: 05 / July / 2013, 21:18:13 »
Advertisements
Switched to video mode, started "filming", and ran the mechanical zoom end to end a couple of times.  With both versions the high pitch buzz of the zoom motor was very audible in the resulting recording.   So I don't think this did what you intended.
Thanks for testing.  Maybe a silly question: Did you check status of "Mute during zomming" in Video parameters menu?

« Reply #121 on: 05 / July / 2013, 21:23:23 »
Thanks for testing.  Maybe a silly question: Did you check status of "Mute during zomming" in Video parameters menu?
Doh!  I don't use video for anything myself but I did check your patch file to see if you had added a menu item.   It never occurred to me that it might already be there.

I'll reapply the patch and rebuild a little later tonight. :-[
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #122 on: 05 / July / 2013, 23:54:47 »
Patch works fine now - yeah !

There is a quite loud audible click as the mic is enabled and disabled but the nasty whine of the zoom motor & gears is gone.

Good one!  Thanks nafraf - seems safe to commit to the svn.

Offline nafraf

« Reply #123 on: 06 / July / 2013, 04:27:12 »
There is a quite loud audible click as the mic is enabled and disabled but the nasty whine of the zoom motor & gears is gone.
Yes, the same click affects my cameras :(   Thanks for testing, I'll submit the patch.

« Reply #124 on: 03 / September / 2013, 07:20:42 »
The "Low Light" mode in the Canon A1200 takes pictures at 2MP, so i thought i could exploit the raw feature of the CHDK to take full resolution images in "Low Light" mode  8) , but i ended up with a distorted image  :-X  (The exact image is attached as jpeg) The raw function of the CHDK is working perfectly fine for all other modes but in this mode, i get these type of raw images. Camera: Canon A1200 1.00c, CHDK version: 1.2.0

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
« Reply #125 on: 03 / September / 2013, 07:46:26 »
The low light mode is not usable for the RAW/DNG feature. The A1200 CHDK port needs a small correction,  that in this mode no RAW / DNG files are created.

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

« Reply #126 on: 03 / September / 2013, 19:24:58 »
The low light mode is not usable for the RAW/DNG feature. The A1200 CHDK port needs a small correction,  that in this mode no RAW / DNG files are created.
Posted a patch file - thanks for pointing this out.

« Reply #127 on: 06 / September / 2013, 00:48:38 »
I'm planning to make a documentary timelapse video so I would like to take RAW images to have an edge in the post processing. Currently I'm having a class 4 SD card which takes about 4 sec to write the RAW file into the card. This might be a problem in situations where I would like to have a 2-3 sec interval between two shots. In the internet I found this class 10 SD card which has very high write speeds of 45MBps. I heard that write speeds also depend on the camera, so before buying this card I want to confirm whether this camera will actually be able write RAW files at such high speeds into the class 10 SD card.

« Reply #128 on: 06 / September / 2013, 10:20:33 »
I'm planning to make a documentary timelapse video so I would like to take RAW images to have an edge in the post processing. Currently I'm having a class 4 SD card which takes about 4 sec to write the RAW file into the card. This might be a problem in situations where I would like to have a 2-3 sec interval between two shots. In the internet I found this class 10 SD card which has very high write speeds of 45MBps. I heard that write speeds also depend on the camera, so before buying this card I want to confirm whether this camera will actually be able write RAW files at such high speeds into the class 10 SD card.
A faster SD card is always better and I would expect going from a class 4 to a class 10 to shave as much as one second off the RAW processing time. However , it will most likely not get you down to 2 seconds per shot.

As far as buying SD cards online,  be aware that there are reported to be a lot of fakes out there - class 2 cards with labels on them that say class 10.  Make sure that whoever you buy from has a good return policy.

Also,  the Canon firmware does a lot of image processing when it creates a jpg.  If you have not done so,  I'd strongly suggest you experiment with the post processing work flow you will need for all those RAW/DNG images.  It might not be worth the effort for most of the images you will be taking.

« Reply #129 on: 12 / September / 2013, 08:10:00 »
Also,  the Canon firmware does a lot of image processing when it creates a jpg.  If you have not done so,  I'd strongly suggest you experiment with the post processing work flow you will need for all those RAW/DNG images.  It might not be worth the effort for most of the images you will be taking.

After spending few days with RAW, post processing the raw format seems to more flexible than jpeg especially the noise handling in low light shots. I do find some barrel distortion in the raw format, which can be corrected, but i can also fake it as a 'wide-angle' view for landscape shots.

As far as buying SD cards online,  be aware that there are reported to be a lot of fakes out there - class 2 cards with labels on them that say class 10.  Make sure that whoever you buy from has a good return policy.

Thanks for the advice. I'll make sure i'll buy from a good online reseller.