Canon PowerShot A1200 - page 6 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

Canon PowerShot A1200

• 137 Replies
Re: Canon PowerShot A1200
« Reply #50 on: 04 / September / 2012, 23:58:52 »
Advertisements
I can take better IR photography with  RAW file  :D
Always looking for good examples of the advantages of RAW.  Do you have some comparisions you can post ?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #51 on: 05 / September / 2012, 08:37:14 »
CHDK for the A1200 is now available from the autobuild server.  The firmware update method is now available (tested & working).

However,  the palette code seems to be missing - menus are a little hard to read as a result. You might want to hold off on any downloads from the autobuild for a day or two and continue to use the version posted above.

Please continue to post bugs and questions about the port in this forum thread.

Update : fixed now - autobuild is good.
« Last Edit: 07 / September / 2012, 23:52:35 by waterwingz »

« Reply #52 on: 05 / September / 2012, 11:28:47 »
Hi All,

I am about to purchase 10 Canon A1200 for some photogrammetry work and just want to confirm that Multi-Camera Synchronization is supported on this build of CHDK.

Also, has anyone had any luck hooking a Ricoh CA-1 into a non-powered hub in order to fire multiple cameras?

Thanks!

Corey

« Reply #53 on: 05 / September / 2012, 13:28:56 »
I am about to purchase 10 Canon A1200 for some photogrammetry work and just want to confirm that Multi-Camera Synchronization is supported on this build of CHDK.
The code is implemented but has not been tested.  (i.e. it should work but "stuff" happens)

Also, has anyone had any luck hooking a Ricoh CA-1 into a non-powered hub in order to fire multiple cameras?
I haven't but there is always the gentSTEREO-repeatSDM if hub doesn't work : http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/gentstereo/sdm.htm.  My concern would be the CA-1 essentially provides power to the hub, which in turn sends power to the camera. There may be "rise time" issues.

« Reply #54 on: 05 / September / 2012, 13:42:00 »
Hey Waterwingz,

Thanks for the speedy reply! I am going to take the plunge on them and I will let you know how it goes.  :D

Thanks!

« Reply #55 on: 05 / September / 2012, 13:44:42 »
My concern would be the CA-1 essentially provides power to the hub, which in turn sends power to the camera.

It does not really send power to the camera.

The USB input is a logic input with an impedance of a few ten's of kilohms (on the one camera I have seen a circuit diagram for !).

More of a concern, that camera was introduced in 2011 and it is not known if precision synch is possible.

It may be your application does not need precision and about  1/20 sec is OK.

David

« Reply #56 on: 05 / September / 2012, 14:00:55 »
I can take better IR photography with  RAW file  :D
Always looking for good examples of the advantages of RAW.  Do you have some comparisions you can post ?
jpeg has more grain (and lower details) when developing shadow and hi-light with PS.
Here is file processed from RAW. With jpeg, I cannot process like this.

« Reply #57 on: 05 / September / 2012, 14:28:59 »
It does not really send power to the camera. The USB input is a logic input with an impedance of a few ten's of kilohms (on the one camera I have seen a circuit diagram for !).
True.

But something has to power the hub itself.  When it says "unpowered hub" it actually means "no seperate external power supply - gets power from the computer its plugged into"

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7536367_powered-hub-vs-non-powered.html

So if you plug a CA-1 into the hub along with a Canon P&S camera - where does the power for the hub come from ? 

Not the camera for sure.   Maybe from the CA-1.  But in that case the hub will only have power if CA-1 pulse is active.  If you are counting on the hub "turning on" and passing on the 5V USB signal to the camera,  you better hope it happen fast enough not to disturb the CA-1 timing.

More of a concern, that camera was introduced in 2011 and it is not known if precision synch is possible.
Early in 2011 so we will have to see.  Probably more concerning is trying to do precision sync from a CA-1.  I'll have to look and see if we came up with a good way to do that in the new  USB code.  The issue is that you have to start the full-shoot on the rising edge of the full shoot pulse in order to be able to "sync" on the falling edge of the pulse.  But you don't know its a full shoot pulse (rather than a cancel pulse) until you have actually timed to pulse width - too late to then also sync.  This in not a problem with a conventional "one push" switch.

« Last Edit: 05 / September / 2012, 14:44:19 by waterwingz »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #58 on: 05 / September / 2012, 16:10:34 »
However,  the palette code seems to be missing - menus are a little hard to read as a result. You might want to hold off on any downloads from the autobuild for a day or two and continue to use the version posted above.
Maybe I misunderstood your comment in IRC about removing CAM_LOAD_CUSTOM_COLORS from the patch ?

Code: [Select]
17:10 < waterwingz> reyalp ?  when you get around to adding the A1200 ...there is a  #define CAM_LOAD_CUSTOM_COLORS 1 in
                    platform_camera.h that is not needed (the A2200 has the same #define - also not needed).
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #59 on: 05 / September / 2012, 16:13:19 »
Maybe I misunderstood your comment in IRC about removing CAM_LOAD_CUSTOM_COLORS from the patch ?
Busted !  My mistake .. c&p error ... the CAM_LOAD_CUSTOM_COLORS is needed - the CAM_USES_COLORED_ICONS is not.   

Its always that "one final little change that should not matter" that kills you, isn't it ?
« Last Edit: 05 / September / 2012, 16:21:42 by waterwingz »