Canon PowerShot A1200 - page 9 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum  

Canon PowerShot A1200

• 137 Replies
Re: Canon PowerShot A1200
« Reply #80 on: 12 / September / 2012, 16:25:28 »
Advertisements
1.The 1.00B version works on the 1.00A model.
2.everything looks great
3.cant seem to override aperture.
4.haven't tested bracketing features yet.
« Last Edit: 12 / September / 2012, 18:41:04 by bbose007 »

« Reply #81 on: 12 / September / 2012, 17:43:20 »
3.cant seem to override aperture.
That's most likely because the camera does not have a variable aperature.    The reported f-stop only changes when you move the zoom lens position.  Changing the zoom position changes the effective aperature.

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #82 on: 13 / September / 2012, 23:58:21 »
does the exif data i see in PS reflect the actual data i.e, shutter speed ,iso the camera took the picture with.
for ex. if i set the speed to 1/4000 and the exif shows 1/4000 does it mean that the actual shutter speed was 1/4000 or was the actual values overwritten by chdk.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #83 on: 14 / September / 2012, 00:52:36 »
does the exif data i see in PS reflect the actual data i.e, shutter speed ,iso the camera took the picture with.
for ex. if i set the speed to 1/4000 and the exif shows 1/4000 does it mean that the actual shutter speed was 1/4000 or was the actual values overwritten by chdk.
No, a value appearing in exif does not necessarily mean it was actually used. Also, if the non-overridden value appears in the exif does, that not necessarily mean the override failed. Different parameters may behave differently too (e.g. ISO recorded wrong, shutter speed correct) or only be correct over certain ranges (e.g. shutter speed correct to 64 seconds but not longer). There are also Canon "maker note" values recorded in the exif. These are more likely to be accurate than the regular exif, but still aren't guaranteed.

The most reliable way to verify overrides is to compare the brightness of the actual images.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #84 on: 28 / September / 2012, 19:55:18 »
(override subject distance) works on video but not on photo...
anyway to fix that??
« Last Edit: 28 / September / 2012, 20:26:08 by bbose007 »

« Reply #85 on: 29 / September / 2012, 12:53:04 »
(override subject distance) works on video but not on photo... anyway to fix that??
Did you see this :  http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/A1200#Notes_on_SD_Override_for_the_A1200

(taken from here : http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6318.msg90196#msg90196 and also in the
readme.txt file for the A1200)

If you follow those instructions,  does it work in photo mode ?  It's annoying to have to do that but its the only way currently to make it work without crashing.

« Reply #86 on: 03 / October / 2012, 00:19:35 »
Been looking for a camera to try CHDK on since I first heard about it a few years ago.  Finally found an A1200 for $60 last week and jumped on it.  Had CHDK up and running the first day.

Still trying to get this all figured out and haven't had much time to fully study up on it yet - and most of what I'm finding on the wiki is marked as out of date :( so I'm not sure if the issues I've found are issues with what I'm doing or issues with the A1200 port.  (I'm using the autobuild from Sept 29th CHDK 1.1.0-2012)  I've used both the firmware update and the autoboot loading methods - mostly the firmware update method.

The first and biggest issue is that most of the time I can't load any grids.  I'm not sure why it suddenly started working just now when I went to reproduce it but the past few days every time I've used the load grid from file the camera just seems to crash and turn itself off.  And now after shutting the camera off and back on it's happening again.  It almost seems like if I load the "Rulers.grd" sample grid first then I can load other grids afterwards...but if I try to load any other grid first the camera just crashes.

The other issue is I enabled optical zoom for video and then did a test video - but my battery percentage display starting dropping FAST as soon as I started shooting video.  It went from 70% to 10% in less than 10 seconds.  But then after rebooting the camera the battery was back to where it was when I started shooting video.  I haven't changed any other settings yet and I'm still on the original cheapie alkalines that came with the camera at this point. 

Looking forward to trying out the motion detection but so far all of the info I seem to be finding on the wiki sounds like it's outdated.  Can anyone direct me to current info? 

I was looking for a small cheap camera that would be a step up from my cell phone for times I want better photos but don't want to lug around an SLR and so far this seems perfect.  I love that it runs on AA's and so far between the stock capabilities and what CHDK adds it's a great new tool that seems almost perfect - and given the price I can overlook the things I'm not 100% happy about...even if it makes me want to pick up a nicer Canon P&S to load CHDK on as well ;)

« Reply #87 on: 03 / October / 2012, 08:23:54 »
Quote from: jhitesma
- and most of what I'm finding on the wiki is marked as out of date

At least we started putting that warning in.  Imagine trying to puzzle things out without it ?

The first and biggest issue is that most of the time I can't load any grids.

I'm seeing the same problem.  Its going to be interesting to track down as there is really nothing specific to the A1200 port in the grid code. Maybe we are running out of memory - I'll do some tests.  Probably need to look at the viewport buffer scaling as well.

The other issue is I enabled optical zoom for video and then did a test video - but my battery percentage display starting dropping FAST as soon as I started shooting video.  It went from 70% to 10% in less than 10 seconds.  But then after rebooting the camera the battery was back to where it was when I started shooting video.  I haven't changed any other settings yet and I'm still on the original cheapie alkalines that came with the camera at this point. 

I see the same thing here too.  What makes it more bizarre is that the Canon low battery warning activates as well - so its not a problem with CHDK getting the battery voltage from the wrong location.   And the way the voltage recovers afterwards is strange.   I'm using a set of rechargables - I'll retry with a fresh set.   Did you try the same test with CHDK not loaded.

Looking forward to trying out the motion detection but so far all of the info I seem to be finding on the wiki sounds like it's outdated.  Can anyone direct me to current info? 

This is as up-to-date as it gets :  http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Motion_Detection
« Last Edit: 03 / October / 2012, 22:42:00 by waterwingz »

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
    • Planetary astrophotography
« Reply #88 on: 03 / October / 2012, 12:02:41 »
The other issue is I enabled optical zoom for video and then did a test video - but my battery percentage display starting dropping FAST as soon as I started shooting video.  It went from 70% to 10% in less than 10 seconds.  But then after rebooting the camera the battery was back to where it was when I started shooting video.

Hmm, I have the same problem on the a590, it seems that behavior does not depend on the platform.
When I get back from Video mode to the P mode display battery status is normal.

« Reply #89 on: 03 / October / 2012, 22:42:39 »
The first and biggest issue is that most of the time I can't load any grids.
Try loading the grids when the camera is in shooting mode ( i.e lens extended).  That works well for me after repeated testing.  I'll look at why it freezes the camera when you try to select them in playback mode when I get back to my development machine this weekend.

I tried video with CHDK not loaded.  With my current set of batteries,  I received a battery low warning within 10 seconds.   If I halt the video or go to picture mode,  the low battery warning goes away.

I don't have a fully charged set of batteries with me but my theory is that battery drain in video modes is very high and if you have a set of batteries that are partially depleted,  they will quicky drop even further when the you start recording.  When you stop recording,  the batteries appear to recover.   I'll test this with a new set of batteries this weekend but I'm seeing the same effect with CHDK loaded or not loaded.