ELPH300HS aka IXUS220HS - Porting Thread - page 59 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

ELPH300HS aka IXUS220HS - Porting Thread

• 899 Replies

Offline db2

Re: ELPH300HS aka IXUS220HS - Porting Thread
« Reply #580 on: 16 / January / 2012, 13:32:43 »
Advertisements
What I meant is that CHDK can utilize things provided for in the canon software in ways which cannot be done otherwise. The canon software certainly provides all the functions needed to take hdr bracketed photos, it simply does not allow it (is not programmed for it). More expensive point and shoots from canon can do HDR photos (internally). The canon software contains all the necessary components for using usb remote, it simply does not string them together to allow this functionality (other canon cameras do), but chdk puts together these components to do something that is technically possible in the canon software, but is not programmed for.

I guess I was just trying to clarify that CHDK can do novel things with what canon provides by re-programming them in different ways, but is still working fundamentally with the core functions of the canon software. Does this make more sense?

I forget where I was reading, but I think there is evidence that canon starts with a fully loaded eos software and works backwards, removing certain functions out of lower end models. I think there are stray parameters and other things indicating certain functions that were once plugged in but have been removed, but I forget the article source so I can't be sure.
« Last Edit: 16 / January / 2012, 13:36:16 by db2 »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #581 on: 16 / January / 2012, 23:37:15 »
I guess I was just trying to clarify that CHDK can do novel things with what canon provides by re-programming them in different ways, but is still working fundamentally with the core functions of the canon software.
If by "fundamentally the core functions" you mean taking the data from the sensor and processing it with the CPU, that's true. It is *not* true that CHDK just enables features that are already present (in most cases), e.g. CHDK isn't just flipping on an "enable raw" flag that already existed in the camera firmware to save raw, it just takes the framebuffer of the sensor and writes that to disk. In the same way, using SD override for manual focus isn't done by turning on a hidden manual focus mode, it's done by telling the lens hardware to focus at a specific distance.

I forget where I was reading, but I think there is evidence that canon starts with a fully loaded eos software and works backwards, removing certain functions out of lower end models. I think there are stray parameters and other things indicating certain functions that were once plugged in but have been removed, but I forget the article source so I can't be sure.
This is untrue. The DSLRs are very obviously a different codebase. The OS is the same, but the "application" that does all the camera stuff is very different, and likely done by entirely different teams. They may share some libraries.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline db2

« Reply #582 on: 17 / January / 2012, 10:12:25 »
I did have some misconceptions about how chdk operated then. I didn't think it was as simple as flipping a flag for "manual focus" or something, but I did think that all the parameters needed to put together a manual focus function were provided for within in the autofocus system. Thanks for clarifying!

Offline BugA

• IXUS 220 HS, fw: 1.01d
« Reply #583 on: 17 / January / 2012, 18:37:38 »
Hi to all, and huge thanks for porting CHDK to IXUS 220 HS! =)

I`m new here and to CHDK, and I`m still getting familiar with it, learning about it and testing the possibilities. So far, I`ve noticed a few bugs (I think), and wanted to report them (sorry if I missed the topic, thought that port devs are going to see them reported here first).

(1) AutoISO setting doesn`t work in P mode if Servo AF is turned ON. It does it`s job at shutter half-press, setting the highest ISO value allowed, but at the very next second it changes to AF preferred value (bypassing the set override value).
Example: Shutter half-pressed, shutter speed 1/6, ISO 500, but after less than a second it changes to shutter speed 1/20, ISO 1600 (shutter is still being half-pressed). If Servo AF is turned OFF, then values stay at 1/6, ISO 500 until the shot is taken.

(2) OSD Layout Editor - Looks like it`s not possible to change to 1 pixel per move, to fine position OSD elements. Manual states that DISP. should toggle this (1px or 10px per move), but DISP. actually moves the element down, doesn`t change the pixels per move step value.

(3) OSD sometimes fails to redraw, getting wiped off the display.
Example: When CHDK menu is active in shooting mode and camera tries to lock something (moving rectangle on the screen), CHDK menu gets wiped off the screen as the rectangle moves behind (or over, as it looks like). Once we force CHDK menu to refresh (by pressing the down arrow, for example), it gets visible once again - just to be wiped off again by the moving rectangle. It makes navigating the CHDK menu in shooting mode a bit hard.

Not to forget to mention, I have 1.01d firmware on my IXUS 220 HS.

I`m interested in doing more tests if needed (of other features, too), to help improve and polish CHDK functionality. Thanks again to everyone involved in porting CHDK to this camera!

« Reply #584 on: 17 / January / 2012, 20:14:22 »
Example: When CHDK menu is active in shooting mode and camera tries to lock something (moving rectangle on the screen), CHDK menu gets wiped off the screen as the rectangle moves behind (or over, as it looks like). Once we force CHDK menu to refresh (by pressing the down arrow, for example), it gets visible once again - just to be wiped off again by the moving rectangle. It makes navigating the CHDK menu in shooting mode a bit hard.
Can't comment on the rest of your observations but this is more of a limitation than a bug.  Its been discussed many times on this forum and believe it or not,  is much less of an issue since philmoz greatly improved the code last year.  In simple terms,  the problem is that the Canon firmware does not know CHDK exists and so writes to the display whenever it chooses to (not knowing or caring that there might be CHDK information also being displayed).  Unless somebody discovers a way to override that in the Canon firmware (and nobody has after 7 years) then we will just have to live with that behavior.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #585 on: 19 / January / 2012, 05:17:29 »
Hello to all,
if my questions are stupid, bring patience, please ...

I am a professional photographer, I was tired to block my 5D or 7D for long periods in time lapse, so I installed the firmware in your ixus 220hs.

Now I have some questions:

1: In spite of tutorials and guides, I could not see my  Firware (ver.req unicod etc etc + set disp holding don't work), so I went to trial and error, I finally found two working versions, is indifferent to use one or the other?

2: I'm looking for a intervallometer, making it possible to turn off the monitor (perhaps after the first two shots to check the focus), and of course lock the focus, possibly with some light indicator that confirms it working.

If this would be possible in a few weeks stared at him in a small yard and let indorr work for a few months (with regular maintenance), I'd rather leave the ixus, rather than the 5D with the 17-40.

I tried some scripts written for other machine, but not only do not turn off the monitor, but after a few shots entering the video function, for example, or similar problems.

Thanks for favor, wait for response, especially for the script.

ps: I used google translator, since I have little time to write, I hope it have not made ​​too much trouble
« Last Edit: 19 / January / 2012, 05:29:03 by Offredi.andrea »

Offline BugA

• IXUS 220 HS, fw: 1.01d
« Reply #586 on: 19 / January / 2012, 16:51:42 »
Can't comment on the rest of your observations but this is more of a limitation than a bug.  Its been discussed many times on this forum and believe it or not,  is much less of an issue since philmoz greatly improved the code last year.  In simple terms,  the problem is that the Canon firmware does not know CHDK exists and so writes to the display whenever it chooses to (not knowing or caring that there might be CHDK information also being displayed).  Unless somebody discovers a way to override that in the Canon firmware (and nobody has after 7 years) then we will just have to live with that behavior.
Ah, thanks for the info, I didn`t know that. Well, then I guess it`s not such a big deal after all =)
Fixing (1) and (2) would be nice, though (if possible).

I just noticed one more "issue" - when camera is off and CHDK is set to auto-load on camera startup (locked, bootable memory card), pressing the "Playback" button starts the camera - in shooting mode! Usually (without CHDK auto-load) you can start the camera in shooting mode by turning it on using ON/OFF button (lens comes out, LCD goes live, ready for shooting), or start the camera in playback mode by turning it on using the playback button (LCD turns on so you can preview recorded photos/videos, but camera lens stays retracted until shutter is half pressed). With CHDK in auto-load mode this playback ("passive mode") functionality is lost.

Is this also known already, or just something that happens with this specific camera?

1: In spite of tutorials and guides, I could not see my  Firware (ver.req unicod etc etc + set disp holding don't work), so I went to trial and error, I finally found two working versions, is indifferent to use one or the other?
My knowledge is very thin here, but I guess that if all the functions are working fine (plus no freezing/crashing), you`re good to go with whatever version. Also, I think that some of the latest versions are just copied version for 1.01c, so it is the same version after all =) If you want to be sure, you can download this program, and just drag one picture that you shot with you camera over the (running) program window.
« Last Edit: 19 / January / 2012, 16:53:26 by BugA »

« Reply #587 on: 19 / January / 2012, 17:28:33 »
Fantastic and very useful thank you, i just discovered than my firmware is 101e, then after load the file by 101e folder, i see on a chdk introducing screen on my lcd then the version is the same, 101c.

I think at this point then as you said c d and e version is the same.

Thank you again.

Now i'm waiting for lcd off time-lapse script if someone can help me , its very important, non indispensable but it can do the difference for me.
« Last Edit: 19 / January / 2012, 17:36:51 by Offredi.andrea »

« Reply #588 on: 19 / January / 2012, 18:06:49 »
Now i'm waiting for lcd off time-lapse script if someone can help me , its very important, non indispensable but it can do the difference for me.
HERE YOU GO :
http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6397.msg78414#msg78414
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #589 on: 20 / January / 2012, 10:10:25 »
Probably i did mistakes.

i copied the source in a script folder and renamed in .lua

when i try to start it appear : 10 sleep 1000o  end:1 unexpected symbol near '@'
PRESS SHUTTER TO CLOSE
 *** INTERRUPTED ***
Intervallometer

When i was wrong?
« Last Edit: 20 / January / 2012, 10:21:49 by Offredi.andrea »