ELPH300HS aka IXUS220HS - Porting Thread - page 77 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

ELPH300HS aka IXUS220HS - Porting Thread

• 899 Replies
Re: ELPH300HS aka IXUS220HS - Porting Thread
« Reply #760 on: 08 / October / 2012, 09:13:25 »
Advertisements
I can't get the camera to turn auto dark frame off, is it possible this doesn't work yet with the current port?

<edit>
Some more info, my camera's firmware is 1.01a.
After fiddling some more i get (with dark frame substraction off in raw settings, shutter at 16 sec);
- dark frame substraction disabled (yes!) when pressing half-shoot, wait for focus confirm* and press full-shoot
- dark frame substraction enabled when pressing full-shoot without waiting

*auto focus confirm:
- when unable to focus dark frame is disabled
- when camera draws one or more green boxes on the lcd dark frame is disabled
- when camera draws single blue box the preset shutter speed does not work (only takes 4 sec shot)
- when camera shows enlarged section of focus point then either dark frame disable or shutter speed override does not work (can't remember which one, i can retest if asked)
« Last Edit: 08 / October / 2012, 13:11:20 by casrap »

« Reply #761 on: 27 / October / 2012, 12:12:25 »
Okay ... here's the current 1.1.0 version of CHDK for the elph300hs (ixus220) with the code for USB sync added.  Its basicallly a copy of how the ixus115 (released on the same date as the ixus220) is implemented.

ixus220 f/w 1.00c
ixus220 f/w 1.01a
ixus220 f/w 1.01c
ixus220 f/w 1.01g

SD card lock booting method only at this point.  (i.e. no firmware update booting option).

Feedback would be appreciated !
« Last Edit: 27 / October / 2012, 12:15:24 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #762 on: 27 / October / 2012, 13:27:09 »
Thanks Waterginz.

I tested the sync with two Ixus 220 1.01g. I did the test with a timer on my LCD monitor (I know I should use CRT) and shutter speed 1/500 they are always in sync. Sync works as expected!

The only thing I noticed is that I can't take shot's immediately after each other I have to wait 2 or 3 seconds. Thanks for your effort! Much appreciated.

Out of curiosity I also tested the old inverted remote script and it is, as expected not as good as the sync method. It can capture two consecutive frames of the LCD monitor.

« Last Edit: 27 / October / 2012, 13:29:33 by Nestkast »

« Reply #763 on: 27 / October / 2012, 13:36:15 »
The only thing I noticed is that I can't take shot's immediately after each other I have to wait 2 or 3 seconds.
Can't think of any reason the sync code would change the cycle time for shots.

Do you have RAW enabled ?  It takes time to write the Raw file to the card. 

Otherwise,  do you have the same problem taking two shots with sync disabled ?

« Reply #764 on: 27 / October / 2012, 13:57:55 »
I don't have the same problem with sync disabled. But for me it is not a real problem. It just that with sync enabled the camera will not focus again if you switch the 5v on immediately after the shot is taken.

« Reply #765 on: 27 / October / 2012, 14:33:59 »
I don't have the same problem with sync disabled. But for me it is not a real problem. It just that with sync enabled the camera will not focus again if you switch the 5v on immediately after the shot is taken.
One press mode is kind of a hack when using sync. It does the equivalent of "mashing the shutter button down" when you apply the USB power - it basically forces the camera through all operations and starts the shutter release process so that it can "sync" on the removal of USB power.   If you use "two press", the behaviour is much more civilized as the first press allows exposure to be set and the focus locked.

« Reply #766 on: 27 / October / 2012, 14:37:53 »
One press mode is kind of a hack when using sync. It does the equivalent of "mashing the shutter button down" when you apply the USB power - it basically forces the camera through all operations and starts the shutter release process so that it can "sync" on the removal of USB power.   If you use "two press", the behaviour is much more civilized as the first press allows exposure to be set and the focus locked.

Thanks for the explanation.

« Reply #767 on: 08 / November / 2012, 13:38:56 »
I have still have problems with the nice usb remote function, with sync enabled. It makes the camera' often (>10%) crash. The screen stays in the freezing process and the camera doesn't react to anything, I have to power off the camera to make it work again.

I have created a crash log hopping that someone does understand what is going wrong.

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #768 on: 08 / November / 2012, 21:52:20 »
I have still have problems with the nice usb remote function, with sync enabled. It makes the camera' often (>10%) crash. The screen stays in the freezing process and the camera doesn't react to anything, I have to power off the camera to make it work again.

I have created a crash log hopping that someone does understand what is going wrong.
The camera crashes in a part of firmware which has the name "chaseframe". Do you have any "smart" feature of the camera turned on? By smart, I mean stuff like auto mode, face/blink/whatever detection, tracking AF. If so, try without.
edit: related to scene detection, is the cam in auto mode?
« Last Edit: 08 / November / 2012, 22:13:11 by srsa_4c »

« Reply #769 on: 08 / November / 2012, 23:06:25 »
The camera crashes in a part of firmware which has the name "chaseframe". Do you have any "smart" feature of the camera turned on? By smart, I mean stuff like auto mode, face/blink/whatever detection, tracking AF. If so, try without. edit: related to scene detection, is the cam in auto mode?
The only thing the "sync" code does is hold the shooting task in a tight loop waiting for the USB power to be released.    This seems to be harmless on most cameras but its possible, as srsa_4c has pointed out, that  being stuck in that tight loop is a bad thing for some of the "advanced" camera features.   It will be interesting to know if those features are enabled and if turning them off causes the problem to go away.