Assemble JPGs into Video for Timelapse (free software) - Hotwire! Hardware Mods, Accessories and Insights - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Assemble JPGs into Video for Timelapse (free software)

• 7 Replies
Assemble JPGs into Video for Timelapse (free software)
« on: 29 / April / 2011, 04:19:49 »
Advertisements
I've been using CHDK since 2009 with Canon cameras to create quality timelapse photography.

Now that I have millions of photos, I needed a way to assemble them into videos in a single command.

I wrote a free utility that does just that. It traverses directories (to a depth you specify) and assembles JPGs into timelapse movies directory-by-directory. It also allows you to add a title easily based on the file-modified date of the images used.

It's fully documented and FREE so if you're interested, check it out:

rtJPG2Video

Offline SkyWalker9

• SX20 IS (fw 1.02b)
Re: Assemble JPGs into Video for Timelapse (free software)
« Reply #1 on: 29 / April / 2011, 10:23:43 »
I've been using CHDK since 2009 with Canon cameras to create quality timelapse photography.

Now that I have millions of photos, I needed a way to assemble them into videos in a single command.

I wrote a free utility that does just that. It traverses directories (to a depth you specify) and assembles JPGs into timelapse movies directory-by-directory. It also allows you to add a title easily based on the file-modified date of the images used.

It's fully documented and FREE so if you're interested, check it out:

rtJPG2Video
Unfortunately my Norton AV alerted on both downloads and wouldn't let it be downloaded. The alert is one I haven't seen before - WS.Reputation.1

@mmem700. AV software occassionally experience 'false alert' messages with their newer scanning technolgies, so if this is a 'false alert' by my Norton AV, please accept my apology.

« Reply #2 on: 29 / April / 2011, 16:43:23 »
It's obviously a false positive, or Norton is just not letting you download it because it's an executable (ends in EXE).

I'll go ahead and make it available as a zip and you can see if that works. If not, please let me know.

Offline SkyWalker9

• SX20 IS (fw 1.02b)
« Reply #3 on: 29 / April / 2011, 20:44:52 »
It's obviously a false positive, or Norton is just not letting you download it because it's an executable (ends in EXE).

I'll go ahead and make it available as a zip and you can see if that works. If not, please let me know.
Appears to have been a "false alert" using the proprietary AV engine. I was able to download the zip and scanned without incident. I then extracted and scanned the EXE and Norton didn't alert, so it looks like putting into a zip made Norton happy!

« Reply #4 on: 30 / April / 2011, 01:22:29 »
Great. Thanks for letting me know.

Offline Maron

« Reply #5 on: 09 / June / 2011, 09:17:29 »
No offense, i couldn't get your thing to downlaod.

I jsut use VirtualDub: http://www.virtualdub.org/
It's a great free program, but its a bit complicated, so you need to know a thing or two about how videos work in order to use it.
You can import an image sequence, and it automaticlly detects when a big difference is made in seqenentiaul file numbering, so it imports all the photos of one time lapse without you havign to select the last frame.
You can use any framerate. I use 30fps (29.97, really), because I shoot all my other video at 30fps.
Then you use the built in filters to resize it (a 12MP time lapse video of 5 seconds would take up many gig), and if you want, you can letterbox it as well.
You can export as an uncompressed AVI, or use other codecs, if you have them installed.

« Reply #6 on: 09 / June / 2011, 13:59:42 »
No problem. I just changed the download links from straight executables (.exe) to zips (.zip) so no one should have download issues anymore.

Hope this helps.

Here is a link to the page again:

rtJPG2Video JPG to Video (AVI) Conversion Software Utility (free)
« Last Edit: 09 / June / 2011, 14:01:29 by mmem700 »

« Reply #7 on: 04 / June / 2013, 23:50:24 »
This looks like it is proprietary not free software. https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Freeware

So if your concerned if you can trust it then you can't because no one is able to review the source code. Unless they do reverse engineering yuck!

This job can be done with Libav. http://libav.org/