Are these software upgrades possible? - page 18 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Are these software upgrades possible?

• 187 Replies
Re: Are these software upgrades possible?
« Reply #170 on: 20 / January / 2012, 02:35:51 »
Advertisements
Yea, but mine wasn't really a supported camera. It is an SX130IS. Will the autobuild app still work for my SX130IS?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #171 on: 20 / January / 2012, 02:45:00 »
Yea, but mine wasn't really a supported camera. It is an SX130IS. Will the autobuild app still work for my SX130IS?
If you were autobooting before, you had a diskboot.bin. If you still have the original download, it must be there somewhere. It is 100% impossible to autoboot without one, the filename is hardcoded in Canon ROM. If you don't have the one you were using, then you will need to get a new build and use the diskboot.bin from that.

There are builds for several sx130 variants on the autobuild server http://mighty-hoernsche.de/
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #172 on: 20 / January / 2012, 15:39:53 »
"Error 16 CHDK does not support native function calls" Isn't that cool? worked fine before. Now the fact that I have to have a diskboot.bin file opens up a gigantic can of worms. Awesome. I used the 101c version for the SX130IS. The other 2 versions wouldn't boot. I copied the whole thing from the full build onto the SD card. Using my old files, everything worked fine except that it wouldn't auto boot. But, before it was told to restart, all of the other functions worked. Can you take my old PS file and make a diskboot.bin file out of it?
« Last Edit: 20 / January / 2012, 15:46:04 by John1234 »

« Reply #173 on: 20 / January / 2012, 17:30:05 »
Can you take my old PS file and make a diskboot.bin file out of it?
Short answer - no. 

But that's okay - all you need is the stable branch version for the SX130 f/w 1.01C with Lua native calls enabled.  I've attached it here.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline reyalp

« Reply #174 on: 20 / January / 2012, 21:10:15 »
"Error 16 CHDK does not support native function calls" Isn't that cool? worked fine before.
You didn't keep copy of whatever build you were using. That you're problem. Native calls are not enabled by default, see http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Lua/Lua_Reference/Native_Function_Calls
Now the fact that I have to have a diskboot.bin file opens up a gigantic can of worms.
If you autobooted before, you had a diskboot.bin before. The can of worms opened by losing it is all on you.
Awesome. I used the 101c version for the SX130IS. The other 2 versions wouldn't boot.
If you had bothered to read the documentation, you would know the the 101c etc refers to the Canon firmware version of your camera. They are different builds of the same CHDK versions. You need the CHDK build built for your specific Canon firmware version. Which appears to be 101c in this case.
« Last Edit: 20 / January / 2012, 21:13:56 by reyalp »

« Reply #175 on: 20 / January / 2012, 21:31:22 »
Can you take my old PS file and make a diskboot.bin file out of it?
Short answer - no. 

But that's okay - all you need is the stable branch version for the SX130 f/w 1.01C with Lua native calls enabled.  I've attached it here.
Thanks. It's working so far. I'll save this in case I need it in the future.

« Reply #176 on: 20 / January / 2012, 22:11:41 »
I'll save this in case I need it in the future.
That could save all of us some time next time around.   :D  Glad to hear you are up and running again.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #177 on: 21 / January / 2012, 21:12:52 »
I'll save this in case I need it in the future.
That could save all of us some time next time around.   :D  Glad to hear you are up and running again.

Sounds like there is a need for a backup SD card to replace the working one if it stops

Dave1116
Canon a1100is 100c, sd1200is 100c

Wikipedia - Hack (computer science), an inelegant but effective solution to a computing problem.

« Reply #178 on: 02 / March / 2012, 23:39:07 »
I've eliminated all of the points of failure except one. In the rare event that the SD card fills up, chdkptp.exe crashes. More specifically, the visual studio debugger asks if I want to use it to debug it. The only remedy is to remove the card and delete the SD card media using my computer. Any idea what correlates the SD card filling up with chdkptp.exe crashing?
« Last Edit: 03 / March / 2012, 19:58:17 by John1234 »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #179 on: 04 / March / 2012, 00:09:58 »
I've eliminated all of the points of failure except one. In the rare event that the SD card fills up, chdkptp.exe crashes. More specifically, the visual studio debugger asks if I want to use it to debug it. The only remedy is to remove the card and delete the SD card media using my computer. Any idea what correlates the SD card filling up with chdkptp.exe crashing?
No. chdkptp doesn't know anything at all about the remaining space on the card, or depend on writing files to the camera, so if that correlation actually exists, it's most likely due to something going wrong on the camera which eventually cascades back to chdkptp.

You can get the free space (in KB) from the camera, using
=return get_free_disk_space()
so you could theoretically detect before the card fills up and take some action.

I did fix one crash bug that would sometimes occur if the camera went away a while back: http://trac.assembla.com/chdkptp/changeset/147/trunk

warning: The chdkptp lua API and supporting lua libs have changed a LOT since the builds discussed earlier in this thread. If you are using ! commands from old builds, they might not work any more.

If you build with debug and run chdkptp in gdb, that could help find the source of the crash.