PowerShot SX230 HS - Porting Thread - page 37 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum  

PowerShot SX230 HS - Porting Thread

• 706 Replies

Offline genie

Re: PowerShot SX230 HS - Porting Thread
« Reply #360 on: 14 / November / 2011, 04:39:07 »
Advertisements
Hello

I have a question.

Is it possible to integrate exFAT32 as a file system for the SX220HS and SX230HS?
Or is there no hope.

Thanks
genie
Sorry for my bad English.I am a Bavarian and German is the only foreign language i speak.

« Reply #361 on: 14 / November / 2011, 10:43:48 »

The SX230HS should not require partitioning for cards up to 32GB - cameras released this year can autoboot CHDK from FAT32 partitioned cards.

So that's why I haven't the option to swap partitions and the camera tried to write photos to the small fat16 partition.

If it's not already done (and I have not noticed that), could you modify the FAQ/WIKI pages to include this information.

Thanks!

ps: i lost this post.. sorry.. almost bad for my first post... :p

The SX230HS should not require partitioning for cards up to 32GB - cameras released this year can autoboot CHDK from FAT32 partitioned cards.
Guess I'm going to need another canned link for these new cameras. And / or update one of the wiki pages...

If the port has been done correctly ....
Well, there is that question.   I assume the new camera don't need the dataghost stuff in boot.c any more ?

« Last Edit: 14 / November / 2011, 11:05:56 by fear_factory84 »

« Reply #362 on: 18 / November / 2011, 20:41:59 »
I'm curious as to what the camera's new specifications are, in-light of CHDK's modifications.
So far, it seems people have only "in passing" said "And the exif data says that I'm shooting in x iso rating" (By which I mean, it doesn't sound like any actual comparisons have been made... just that 'the camera says so')
Some mentions of f/11 and f/13
And only a stray mention of shutter speed.

It's just odd... that for a project that seems to be dedicated to "unlocking the disabled features of the hardware" there is little mention as to what the hardware is actually capable of :S

« Reply #363 on: 18 / November / 2011, 21:14:36 »
It's just odd... that for a project that seems to be dedicated to "unlocking the disabled features of the hardware" there is little mention as to what the hardware is actually capable of :S
Well,  as you might have guessed,  the project is not dedicated to "unlocking the disabled features of the hardware and writing detailed technical specifications about it".   Its an all volunteer effort - people work on what interests them.  Technical writing seems to be low on that list.   But feel free to pitch in if it interests you - people will be happy to read it.

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #364 on: 20 / November / 2011, 19:24:34 »
I see...
I have been considering buying the camera, but wanted to understand what could be accomplished (camera dependent) with CDHK before hand.

« Reply #365 on: 20 / November / 2011, 19:47:32 »
I have been considering buying the camera, but wanted to understand what could be accomplished (camera dependent) with CDHK before hand.
Probably best if you read the user guides and then ask very specific questions here.  In general, the SX230 will support everything in the guides.

Its kind of a matter of luck what answers you will get - sort of depends on somebody who owns the camera actually watching the forum on the day you post.  I know that's not the greatest answer,  it just how it is.

CHDK in Brief
CHDK User Manual
CHDK for Dummies
CHDK UserGuide April 2009
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline reyalp

« Reply #366 on: 20 / November / 2011, 19:48:57 »
It's just odd... that for a project that seems to be dedicated to "unlocking the disabled features of the hardware"
That's not an accurate description of CHDK. CHDK gives you
  • More information: e.g. histogram, zebra, OSDs
  • Additional control and flexibility: Force particular settings, scripting, remote control.
Sometimes the control includes going beyond Canons specs, but I wouldn't say that's the main point of CHDK.
there is little mention as to what the hardware is actually capable of :S
The figuring out the exact behavior of the different overrides requires measurement for each specific camera. Most people don't do this, probably because they don't have much need for the extreme overrides in the first place.

Going from experience with models that have been carefully measured, you can expect the following:
  • Shutter speed overrides work far beyond the Canon specs, in both directions.
  • If the camera has an adjustable aperture, you can usually go a bit smaller (higher F stop) than the Canon specs, but the value is limited.
  • ISO cannot  be overriden significantly (or indeed, at all) beyond the limits of the Canon firmware.

For an overview of CHDK features, I suggest http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_User_Manual. Most features are available on most ports, hardware permitting.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #367 on: 22 / November / 2011, 23:44:10 »
Hi again! I found another bug! in the handheld night scene..  when i shot with the chdk, the image CRASH! My build is 1.01b.

Thanks!

« Reply #368 on: 23 / November / 2011, 19:53:37 »
I think I have things working on a new SX230HS, including "exposure bracketing."  But on the RAW files, when I go to the <alt> menu under "Raw Parameters" and try to enable "DNG format" I get the following error message in a message box, "Cannot load CHDK/badpixel.bin  Use 'Create badpixel.bin' first.  Is this a bug or do I get my RAW files in DNG format some other way?  Thanks for responding.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #369 on: 23 / November / 2011, 20:15:50 »
Use 'Create badpixel.bin' first.  Is this a bug or do I get my RAW files in DNG format some other way?  Thanks for responding.
No this is not a bug. Use the "create badpixel.bin" file menu option, just like the message says.
Don't forget what the H stands for.