PowerShot SX230 HS - Porting Thread - page 59 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum  

PowerShot SX230 HS - Porting Thread

• 706 Replies

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
Re: PowerShot SX230 HS - Porting Thread
« Reply #580 on: 30 / October / 2012, 12:06:08 »
Advertisements
A trying with exFAT is a good idea!

But we have also a limit with the battery. In my tests I reached a maximum of 80 to 90 minutes (restart recording via script) with a battery charge.

Btw, the native time limit is 29 min 59 sec for the SX220/230.

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

« Reply #581 on: 30 / October / 2012, 12:13:19 »
But we have also a limit with the battery. In my tests I reached a maximum of 80 to 90 minutes (restart recording via script) with a battery charge.
Is it time for an external power supply / battery pack then ?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline reyalp

« Reply #582 on: 30 / October / 2012, 22:57:48 »
tl;dr > Yes,  its theoretically possible.
The camera firmware uses a lot of 32 bit numbers.  Fixing the OS to be large file safe is probably not very practical. What do Canon DV cams do ? I have a vague memory they split across files, but I'm not sure where I got that from.

If we could capture the encoded output and write it to our own file (or raw partition) that might be plausible. Even if the OS couldn't handler larger files, we could just split at 4gb boundaries and let the user assemble them later on the PC.

Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #583 on: 30 / October / 2012, 23:13:42 »
The camera firmware uses a lot of 32 bit numbers.  Fixing the OS to be large file safe is probably not very practical.
update on what I found is here :  http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6318.msg92654#msg92654

What do Canon DV cams do ? I have a vague memory they split across files, but I'm not sure where I got that from.
exFAT is fairly new so that would make sense if they predate it

If we could capture the encoded output and write it to our own file (or raw partition) that might be plausible. Even if the OS couldn't handler larger files, we could just split at 4gb boundaries and let the user assemble them later on the PC.
Which is of course what this script files does .. .albeit with a small gap : http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Continuous_Video_Scripts

Offline reyalp

« Reply #584 on: 30 / October / 2012, 23:17:56 »
Which is of course what this script files does .. .albeit with a small gap : http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Continuous_Video_Scripts
Right, what I was getting at is if you were writing the video data to disk yourself, you could avoid the gap. However, if the camera expects to update the metadata on the video file when recording is complete, or keeps track of the total length in a 32 bit word, there could still be problems.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #585 on: 30 / October / 2012, 23:31:29 »
Right, what I was getting at is if you were writing the video data to disk yourself, you could avoid the gap. However, if the camera expects to update the metadata on the video file when recording is complete, or keeps track of the total length in a 32 bit word, there could still be problems.
All of which says that going beyond a 4G file size is going to be a lot of work for someone to figure out, implement and test.   So its not likely to happen any time soon AFAIK.

« Reply #586 on: 01 / November / 2012, 01:02:17 »
I feel that a better way to bypass the limit would be to just have it it start making a new 4GB file when the first file reaches 4GB. My cheap china video recorder does this (though it records in the most retarded format known to man, (the files have a .264 extension and VLC wont play them)

But if cheap low end recorders used in cheap dash cams and those sub $100 DVR's that also come with a few security cameras, then why cant the canon powershot simply split the file when it gets too big (this can be done without having any gaps as those cheaper devices are able to do it (though they record in 480p)

« Reply #587 on: 01 / November / 2012, 10:02:23 »
I feel that a better way to bypass the limit would be to just have it it start making a new 4GB file when the first file reaches 4GB.
The actual code to do this would be easy to put together. We already know how to open and close files. But finding where to do that will take quite a bit of work as we would need to find where it checks file size and where it stores the current file handle. Technically possible but somebody has to decide to do the work.

« Reply #588 on: 05 / November / 2012, 21:09:16 »
Hi, so I'm one of regular chdk user and particulary for astrophotography, this is my last test with my SX230hs  8)
I don't have any problem, but Maybe I don't know how to script it (like time lapse for more productive programming, I use the shutter delay at 10 time, so once 10 picture I need to go to press the button)

But by the way, maybe if someone know if it is possible:
To shut down the screen when taking long exposure picture(to keep batteries)
To remove/disable lens error and keep the cam working
 (My camera is a working/damaged one from ebay (cost me 80$) so doing this sometime on start-up...)

The picture spec:
The Orion nebula M42 (orion sword or...   ::) )
30x60sec and 10x120sec iso400, dng raw, no dark removal
cg-5 EQ mount... stacked on DSS and processed in PS HDR
All with chdk  :haha
(I found how to improve quality by 25-50% and this picture was made in high town light)  :blink:

« Last Edit: 05 / November / 2012, 21:11:12 by LeCarl99 »
SX260HS, 2X SX230, ELPH300, ELPH100 , ELPH100 ultra macro (primary lens removed), sx120, another sx120 astro version (all lenses/filter removed, direct focal)

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
    • Planetary astrophotography
« Reply #589 on: 06 / November / 2012, 02:36:19 »
Looks great !
Can you post one light frame, not stack, I'm very interested to see how it looks.